Cinema and Movie Thread: I like to remember things my own way.

Chairchucker

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio (2022)

I think it's in the same tier of 2022 films as Everything Everywhere All At Once. Hit me square in the feels in a way that truly feels earned, the beautiful stop motion animation with the horrific backdrop of fascism is going to be in my dreams and nightmares for a while, and Christoph Waltz as an insane grifter is a ****ing delight. God damn it is great.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

10 hours ago, majestic said:

In my little world musical films do not exist. Well, not entirely, I was forced to sit through that travesty of a Phatom of the Opera movie. Can't answer the question, but I'll make sure to take care to not watch the film, like ever. :p

Definitely do not watch this if you do not like musicals. I can be kind of wishy-washy with them, and it tends to be easier for me to do animated musicals as opposed to live action (...in fact, it may be that the only live action musical I like is The Sound of Music). Singin' in the Rain's musical numbers did not get it right for me at all, as I'd say it was 1/3rd okay, 1/3rd ugh, and 1/3rd concentrated pain. The positive takeaway that I have from this movie is from the main character starting out as a lowly stuntman in Hollywood before becoming a star: my niece loves that kind of silliness. I told her that was actually a real job that people do in order to film some of the crazier stuff you can see "actors" do in movies and TV, and that there's a real talent in learning to avoid getting seriously hurt for it, and she seemed to really like the idea. So at least there was that.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

4 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I don't generally like Hollywood musicals, but I'm totally fine with musical numbers in Bollywood movies.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

20 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

We got halfway through it before pausing it for unrelated reasons, and it's just...an absolute horror show of sexist trope after sexist trope, and it is physically hurting me to sit through it with her.

*chuckle*

am gonna guess you weren't a fan o' taming of the shrew?

"singin'" boasts a few o' the most lauded choreographed musical numbers evar, not least o' which is the cyd charisse contributions.

*shrug*

as to musicals in general we will watch nightmare before christmas a couple times before january 1, and am also a fan o' a few fosse musicals (all that jazz and cabaret in particular,)as well as little shop of horrors , the blues brothers and purple rain to name a few.

is a whole lotta bad musicals and even the good ones is kinda different than other cinema. am having no idea why animated musicals should be distinguished save that they typical remove the dancing element which is a shame but is an understandable limitation o' the medium. 

am enjoying a few musicals, but we also like a few anime films in spite o' near universal horribleness; am just that open-minded.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

59 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

*chuckle*

am gonna guess you weren't a fan o' taming of the shrew?

I'm not normally one for demanding that which is old to kowtow to modern sensibilities or anything like that, but man, it was just so uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

"singin'" boasts a few o' the most lauded choreographed musical numbers evar, not least o' which is the cyd charisse contributions.

*shrug*

as to musicals in general we will watch nightmare before christmas a couple times before january 1, and am also a fan o' a few fosse musicals (all that jazz and cabaret in particular,)as well as little shop of horrors , the blues brothers and purple rain to name a few.

is a whole lotta bad musicals and even the good ones is kinda different than other cinema. am having no idea why animated musicals should be distinguished save that they typical remove the dancing element which is a shame but is an understandable limitation o' the medium. 

am enjoying a few musicals, but we also like a few anime films in spite o' near universal horribleness; am just that open-minded.

HA! Good Fun!

Nightmare Before Christmas is my niece's favorite film as of the past year or so, so I've gotten plenty of that, believe you me...and you know what, Little Shop of Horrors is fine, too - whatever issues I had with it weren't to do with the musical numbers. But...for the most part, I just don't really enjoy unnaturally choreographed live action stuff, be it musicals like Singin' in the Rain or Star Wars prequel lightsabre fights. Something about it kind of acts like a drill into my brain and I just want it to stop. Special shout-outs to Make 'Em Laugh and Beautiful Girl especially for making me want to die; Fit as a Fiddle was my favorite, and that was the very first one, so it was all downhill from there. I thought watching it with my niece would make the film more tolerable because I already had a feeling it wouldn't be for me, but there were the other problems that stopped that from happening.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

52 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I'm not normally one for demanding that which is old to kowtow to modern sensibilities or anything like that, but man, it was just so uncomfortable.

"You naughty :biggrin:".......is what I'd post in a more mischievous mood. But I'm not, so I'll say that while I agree somewhat on one hand, on the other I think it's fine for modern sensibilities to look at something and be like "that's ****ed".

Nightmare Before Christmas is my niece's favorite film as of the past year or so

Have you shown her EEAAO yet or is she a bit too young for that? I can't remember your niece's age and don't want to recommend anything that might be too much.

I just don't really enjoy unnaturally choreographed live action stuff

f4b.jpg

16 minutes ago, Make a contract with KP said:

Have you shown her EEAAO yet or is she a bit too young for that? I can't remember your niece's age and don't want to recommend anything that might be too much.

Second grade might be a little on the young side, yeah. It's also a pretty heavy movie when you look past all the silliness, particularly with respect to what she and her sister have gone through in their lives. Hopefully someday there'll be some kind of catharsis for all that, buuut probably not right this moment.

16 minutes ago, Make a contract with KP said:

"You naughty :biggrin:".......is what I'd post in a more mischievous mood. But I'm not, so I'll say that while I agree somewhat on one hand, on the other I think it's fine for modern sensibilities to look at something and be like "that's ****ed".

It helps when there are other things you like that you can focus on so those kinds of issues don't seem quite so pressing or noticeable. I didn't really have that here, though - live action musicals just ain't my thing by and large, so it felt like they were shoving it in my face just about near constantly past the first fifteen minutes or so of the film.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 1

I've been watching Christmas movies. Some I've seen before, some are even part of our yearly holiday rotation, and others are just background noise. Anyways, here's the list of what we've seen so far this month.

Home Alone
Home Alone 2
The Holiday
Last Holiday
Pottersville
Christmas with a View
Bad Mom's Christmas
Noel Diary
Falling for Christmas
Scrooged
Almost Christmas
Elf

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

3 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I've been watching Christmas movies. Some I've seen before, some are even part of our yearly holiday rotation, and others are just background noise. Anyways, here's the list of what we've seen so far this month.

Home Alone

Home Alone 2

The Holiday

Last Holiday

Pottersville

Christmas with a View

Bad Mom's Christmas

Noel Diary

Falling for Christmas

Scrooged

Almost Christmas 

Elf

I'm assuming that you're saving the best Christmas movie ever made, Die Hard, for Christmas Day.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

57 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Second grade might be a little on the young side, yeah. It's also a pretty heavy movie when you look past all the silliness, particularly with respect to what she and her sister have gone through in their lives. Hopefully someday there'll be some kind of catharsis for all that, buuut probably not right this moment.

Yeah, maybe just a bit too young. I'm not sure if I have anything to recommend to kids that age. Maybe The Straight Story (yes, ANOTHER David Lynch film).

57 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

It helps when there are other things you like that you can focus on so those kinds of issues don't seem quite so pressing or noticeable. I didn't really have that here, though - live action musicals just ain't my thing by and large, so it felt like they were shoving it in my face just about near constantly past the first fifteen minutes or so of the film.

I guess it does depend on how well the other stuff work for you. Maybe I'll watch it and see if it pisses me off too.

• Like 1

I'm going to try. All the men like it but none of the women do and everyone comes over to my house for the holidays. We'll definitely watch it but maybe not on Christmas day. I expect that list will quadruple, at least, and some of those movies will even be watched multiple times.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Staring at the list I've only watched the Home Alones, and that at a time when I was the target demographic for the films. Also, uhm, and I'm surprised I have memories of the film at all as it came out 1985,  I've seen Santa Claus: The Movie.

I think that's it, unless this counts: 

:p

Sure, if we count films that are set around Christmas, then I guess Rocky IV would count. Iron Man 3 too. Yeah, I'm going with no here.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Yeah, I've only seen the Home Alones out of that list too...and A Christmas Story which was not on it. Growing up (i.e. 20-15 years ago), Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, The Matrix, and some other completely non-Christmas-related films were my family's Christmas movies.

Eh, if we're going to look at Singing in the Rain...

One of the numbers that had Gene Kelly in hysterics when he saw it:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Love Actually is the only Christmas movie I can actually recall watching (exc Die Hard, I guess) and... I didn't like it. Even as a kid I can't remember watching any though I surely must have. Watched plenty of TV specials and the like though.

I think Christmas being in the middle of summer here really cuts down on movie watching- big difference it getting dark at 9pm instead of 4-5 and being warm.

30 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

Elf is probably tied with Die Hard for me.

Since you really like Elf you should definitely watch Elves.:shifty:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

There's a Mel Gibson Chrismas movie where Walter Goggins says "I'm talking about Santa Claus mother****er". That, and maybe The Wolf of Snow Hollow are my chirstmas movies this year.

I watched Wolf of Snow Hollow for Halloween, so won't watch it again for Christmas.  Maybe in a couple of years...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

kinda a repeat, but so is almost all Gromnir posts after +20 years o' posting, eh?

our favorite christmas movie, not including tv fare, is the lion in winter, but is not a fun or festive offering and am hardly so tone deaf to the spirit o' the season to include the film on a viewing itinerary meant for friends and family wishing to enjoy yuletide warm and fuzzies. the lion in winter makes denis leary's the ref appear saccharine by comparison. likewise, am not gonna include the silent partner or the french connection.

if that scene don't capture the spirit o' christmas, we don't know what does.

also, as much as we enjoyed the recent green knight, chances are we leave it off the viewing list this year.

kiss kiss, bang bang, stalag 17, edward scissorhands, the nightmare before christmas, and white christmas is all gonna get votes from Gromnir. am a big danny kaye fan; sue us.

is multiple tv offerings worth mentioning and most is so obvious we ain't gonna list 'em, but in spite o' typical bbc production values (*snort*) we would recommend seeing terry pratchett's hogfather particular as it is something those o' us in the US is unlikely to have seen unless we made special effort to do so.

HA! Good Fun!

ps am waiting for somebody to do the little match girl justice. obvious is gonna be a short, but while am having seen dozens o' adaptations and homages, none has ever been close to what we believe the tale deserves. 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)