What You've Done Today - Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

majestic

More trouble for my friends down south of where I am...

"The Lachlan River at Cowra peaked at 14.28 metres around 01:00 am Tuesday, and is currently at 10.59 metres and falling, with minor flooding. The Lachlan River at Cowra is likely to remain above the minor flood level (8.50 m) through to the end of the week.

The Lachlan River at Nanami peaked at 13.79 metres around midnight Tuesday into Wednesday and is currently at 13.51 metres and falling with major flooding. The Lachlan River at Nanami is likely to remain above the major flood level (10.70 m) through to the end of the week."

I used to joke, that my place was "flood safe" located on a hill top. I'm not sure it's 14-15 meters above the surrounding terrain 🤔

• Sad 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

So, I got some terrain and a nice playing area for games of Kill Team (skirmish games set in the 40K setting, I have a Veteran Guardsman team and an Ork Kommando team).

But, building an Alpha Legion army for Horus Heresy, I'm going to need a larger playing area and the table in the garage/gaming room is too small for that game.

Ordered the timber and boards necessary to build my own "overlay" to put on top of the table and give me a 4x6 foot gaming surface. IT people are not known for their practical skills, but anyone who has lived in Germany for any amount of time as a tenant, knows you can't do that without being (or becoming) a qualified kitchen builder 🤣

I still have the power tools and everything else (including the experience) from those days, so I look forward to rolling up my sleeves and start building something suitable for Alpharius and his legion...

It will probably be early next year before I have something worth taking pictures of, but then I'll if I can't get a pic or two of my legion.

• Like 5

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Juggling some work stuff, setting up plans in motion for some hectic times.

Trying to balance a few things out for the San Diego trip following Christmas, and just let myself ease into some retail therapy by taking advantage of the opening black friday sales to pick up a resin 3d Printer...

Also, lots of supporting crafting stuff on my Mando.   Coming up with some designs for leatherwork on the belts and such, besides painting some of the printed armour pieces.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Whats the difference between this one and the one you already had? The material used in the printing process?

My Ender 5 Plus is an FDM printer.  It uses a variety of plastics (mostly PLA variants) that are fed into a hot-end and the high temperature melts it as it basically draws an object layer by layer, building upwards.

fdm-printing.jpg

polymers-11-01094-g001.png

fdm-printer.jpg

You get bigger build plates and can generally create larger items using that sort of FDM 3D printer (unless you're talking incredibly expensive equipment that straddles the line of uber-hobby / industrial).

Which does give you the more traditional 3D printed thing (and the requisite print lines from the layer by layer heat, melt, draw, cool process).

Aka: honda_wasp1.jpg

Resin 3D printers work with a liquid resin that gets stored in a vat under the buildplate, and use UV light and lasers to cure the resin, and do it upside down (compared to FDM printers).

The build plate is drawn upwards, UV light is applied to cure the resin in the correct pattern for that layer, then it repeats until the object is finished.

Note: Technically, this is the oldest form of 3D printing. But it was the FDM printers that really saw it developed as a craft-hobby that you could do at home.

SLA-Stereolithography-Laser-2.png

SmartSelect_20211207-212310_YouTube.jpg

Because the resin printer can work in incredibly high definition, you can do a lot more really fine detail work that you don't have to worry about clean-up in the same way you do with FDM printers.

You just have to go through additional steps of washing the printed object off of resin, and then set it to cure further under UV (either direct sun or basically a mini Tanning bed).

6156d30400f2208f8762071f

While with the FDM printing, you tend to have a pause for sanding and filling in to smooth out the print lines.

FDM is still somewhat cheaper as a hobby, but Resin printers and materials are beginning to match them price-wise.

If you want something larger, and aren't too stressed on really fine details?  FDM printer tends to be the thing.

Smaller and incredibly detailed? That's where you go Resin printer.

il_1140xN.2676794875_nb41.jpg

My plan is to use a combination of both to get what I want.

I can slice something up so the bulk is FDM printer, and the detail parts are resin printed, then put it all together.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 6

I have a resin printer and an automated washing and uv curing station (the mini "tanning bed" @Raithe mentioned). It's mostly used for creating building parts (modular buildings), ruins, scifi structures etc. as terrain for tabletop wargaming. It takes a bit to learn how to model for and slice the objects you want to print, but once you get the hang of it, it's a nice QoL upgrade for an old wh40k player ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sarex said:

Is there a more expensive gaming hobby than WH40K...

Crypto and NFTs.

• Haha 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

12 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Star Citizen

• Haha 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

17 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I got my miniature collection insured for $25k when I got it shipped back and forth between EU and AU... 💸

4 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I got my miniature collection insured for $25k when I got it shipped back and forth between EU and AU... 💸

First glance I thought that was what you paid for the insurance :lol:

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

@Raithe @Gorth

My understanding is that there are blueprints that users can purchase to print various things, but can a 3D printer also be used with a CAD type program? How are new and unique objects created?

You can use most 3D modelling software. Cinema4D, 3Dmax etc. Or like me, going cheap and use Blender and Hexagon depending on what I'm doing. This creates a file (*.obj, *.stl or similar) which you process through a special (often printer specific) piece of software, where you "slice" the object you've modelled. I.e. it gets converted into those slices that gets added to the model every time it gets dipped in the vat (the last sentence sounds like cyberpunk meets fallout, I know). The vat is that little basin where the liquid resin is in. Depending on your printer, each "slice" will be a fraction of a millimeter thick, which is why printing larger things can take a while, as it only adds that fraction of a millimeter each time it gets dipped in the resin in the vat.

There are websites out there too with tonnes of free (or cheap) ready made models to print out. E.g. I found some nice Adeptus Astartes shoulderpads at cults3d.com which I can use to replace some of the plain ones I already have (like one with a medic symbol on it)

• Like 2

Just now, Sarex said:

Is 3dsmax even a thing anymore, I thought they retired it a while ago?

Autodesk is still alive and kicking. Not that I would ever be able to afford their flagship products (Maya/3D Studio Max) 😂

3Dmax is a $1800 USD annual subscription fee (subscription only, you can't buy it anymore). Blender... has most of the features (and all those you could possible need for printable models). Costs $0.

3 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Not that I would ever be able to afford their flagship products (Maya/3D Studio Max)

Pft, just pull a Crytek. 😛

Yeah Blender is the best if you are semi-pro and don't want to spend that ungodly price of 3DSmax

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I used Blender to create all my armour pieces that I printed out for the Mando.

Been tooling around with it creating a variety of blasters and such as well as general gidgets and greeblies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

Autodesk is still alive and kicking.

I know that the company is still going strong, but I thought they retired 3dsMax (or maybe Maya) but it seems I was wrong.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

AutoCad's Fusion 360 is free for personal (hobby) use, but won't let you choose where to install it and has a bunch of annoying things to it.

One of these days I do mean to go back to re-learn it properly.  But eh, I'm doing mostly well with Blender. I just need to figure out how to do accurate hinges and such like.

bloggityblogmoodswingsbloggityblogchocolatebloggityblogsatisfaction
bloggityblogwinterbloggityblogagingbloggityblogwarmsnuggles

...and that's all I have to say about that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

22 hours ago, Sarex said:

Cars =(

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

19 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Is that gaming? I guess it could be at that.

It depends on your driving, a good amount of drivers are playing.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands