The New Cinema and Movie Thread

LadyCrimson

49 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

That...sounds less than ideal. Have you seen it, would you recommend it to me? :p

If the choice was between harm or watching Alien Resurrections, then I would watch the movie. Otherwise, no. It's a very bad movie that has few redeeming parts. Watching almost anything else is a better use of your time.

Speaking of bad movies.....Umma. A train of bland that thankfully stops quickly.

Edited by KP wants Blue Velvet
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I liked Alien: Resurrection.  But in my defense, I first saw it on a double bill where the other half was Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, the armpit of filmdom.  Plus Alien: Resurrection had Michael Wincott in it, who always raises a film.

Then again, I don't think Alien3 works really and is probably my least favorite Alien film (with the only one I'd definitively recommend being the first one), so...

EDIT: That said, I want to rewatch Alien3 as I've only seen it once.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

It is, except worse in every way, and Ripley is an alien/human hybrid for whatever reason. If you thought she overacted in Aliens, you're in for a treat in Resurrection. :p 

Because the only known corpse of a xenomorph the company knew for certain they could find was the chest-burster Ripley died with in Alien3.  Ripley in that film is a result of them attempting to sort the DNA of the alien, and getting a number of failed hybrids - with one of those failures being almost completely Ripley

• Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

That...sounds less than ideal. Have you seen it, would you recommend it to me? :p

Unlike KP, I think self-harm is preferable to watching Alien Resurrection. I watched the film at the theater. They had what they called a 'quadruple feature' midnight premiere of the film, showing Alien, Aliens and Alien³ back to back before Alien: Resurrection at midnight. The evening was quite the experience. It's incredible how much your butt will start to hurt even in the most comfortable of seats after nine hours of sitting and staring at a screen.

Of course I failed to learn from the experience and repeated the same mistake with Lord of the Rings later. That was one movie less, but even more runtime. :yes: 

Still remember that the cinema chain had a couples' special at the time, two large soft drinks and a bucket of popcorn. I went there with a friend, and he didn't want any popcorn, but the special was cheaper than two regular sized soft drinks and separate popcorn, so we went and bought the special. Priceless look from the clerk lady. Kinda looked like she was afraid of catching the gay. Yeah, maybe not everything was better in the 90ies. That's the sort of thing that would have been hurtful if we had been an actual couple.

Anyway, evening came as close to a complete bust as possible. Watching the four films back to back just shows you how much the series became gradually worse for the wear. While I'd agree that Alien³ isn't as bad as it is made out to be, watching it almost directly after Alien is not ideal. I even dozed off in the middle of watching it, which is really odd when I normally can't even sleep with the TV on. 

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Oh come on guys, how is he going to watch Alien vs Predator? He will be so confused if he skips Resurrection. 🥸

Plus it's worth it just for the basketball shot.

Edited by Sarex
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

12 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Oh come on guys, how is he going to watch Alien vs Predator? He will be so confused if he skips Resurrection. 🥸

🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Then again, I don't think Alien3 works really and is probably my least favorite Alien film (with the only one I'd definitively recommend being the first one), so...

EDIT: That said, I want to rewatch Alien3 as I've only seen it once.

Maybe it was just after seeing the joke that was Aliens that it felt like the characters got some development and knew how to actually deliver their lines on some other level than corny B movie. Jeeze louise was that bad in Aliens - how can you have such technical prowess and vision as a director and let it all go to waste because you can't figure out how to get freaking Sigourney Weaver to act? I don't know whether the theatrical cut or Assembly Cut is better - I read some comments that said the new cut is much better, while others say it ruins the flow of the film. If you already thought the theatrical version of 3 sucks, maybe it's worth a try, I don't know.

31 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Ms. Weaver isn't even in Alien vs. Predator, right? No chance of me watching it if not, she's too core to Alien.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Anyway, evening came as close to a complete bust as possible. Watching the four films back to back just shows you how much the series became gradually worse for the wear. While I'd agree that Alien³ isn't as bad as it is made out to be, watching it almost directly after Alien is not ideal. I even dozed off in the middle of watching it, which is really odd when I normally can't even sleep with the TV on. 

Yes, watching it directly after Aliens, with Alien instead being five years ago, probably makes quite the difference. I don't know, I just appreciate some attempt at slow atmospheric horror instead of whatever Aliens was supposed to be. In no universe could I ever sit through all of them (much less LotR) in one-go - would make them miserable just for that reason alone, regardless of the quality of the films watched.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

33 minutes ago, Sarex said:

AvP's badness is only surpassed by AvP2

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I love Ms. Weaver, but imo she is not the best dramatic actress (especially if it's loudly dramatic) . She is always better with more understated or quieter moments - or comedy, sometimes. I feel the same way about Linda Hamilton. When she had those "emotional" moments in T2 re: the cpu inventor, I cringed - only thing I didn't like about that movie really.

Alien is a great suspense/horror film. Aliens is great action/popcorn film (except for the child actress screaming constantly) if one likes such. The extended edition of Aliens doesn't add much unless you're into the mom/daughter dynamic I guess. There are no other "Alien" movies.  😛

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

29 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

I love Ms. Weaver, but imo she is not the best dramatic actress (especially if it's loudly dramatic) . She is always better with more understated or quieter moments - or comedy, sometimes. I feel the same way about Linda Hamilton. When she had those "emotional" moments in T2 re: the cpu inventor, I cringed - only thing I didn't like about that movie really.

Alien is a great suspense/horror film. Aliens is great action/popcorn film (except for the child actress screaming constantly) if one likes such. The extended edition of Aliens doesn't add much unless you're into the mom/daughter dynamic I guess. There are no other "Alien" movies.  😛

In space, no one can hear you scream while you watch Alien3, Alien: Resurrection, Alien vs Predator, Alien vs Predator: Requiem, Prometheus, and Alien: Covenant.

• Sad 2

57 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

You may well be right re: Sigourney Weaver...but on the other hand, it's up to the director to direct scenes that work for their actors. Maybe both her and Linda Hamilton are plain old bad at crying, or maybe James Cameron didn't give them good direction - well, from how bad everyone else acted in Aliens (child actress and space marines), I know at least the latter is true, but the former might be as well, :p.

From my point of view, the Jedi are evil there is no Aliens, :no:. I actually didn't think the mother/daughter relationship was too badly written on its face...but wow, that poor kid could not act to save her life. The actress, Carrie Henn, went on to star in have a supporting role in appeared as a minor character in had a cameo in...uh, right.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

53 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

I think she crushed the role of a grieving mother in alien resurrection...through a tiny hole in to space.

• Gasp! 1

1:45 - seems pretty similar to Aliens style and stuff.

To be fair, I don't think it's that her acting is actually bad, maybe it's more that ... well ... some people have a facial expressiveness and/or tonal style that we emotionally connect with on camera (and make us not-uncomfortable for some reason) almost no matter what, while others simply do not. I am quite sure that if you caught a hidden/candid video of me shouting/crying in anger at something, and then tried to post it saying I was actually acting, ppl would say I was a terrible actress, if you get what I mean. I'm probably over analyzing here but eh, that's what I do sometimes. 😛

Gorilla's in the Mist is a decent movie, btw. Not a favorite of mine (I was a little bored here and there) but not bad.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

5 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I think she crushed the role of a grieving mother in alien resurrection...through a tiny hole in to space.

jojo-anime.gif

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

@LadyCrimson I was too young (ignoring the fact that my understanding of English was theoretical) to even know if her acting was good to be honest. Maybe I'll rewatch the movies to see how they stack up to my jaded self.

23 hours ago, majestic said:

I disagree with Mike & Jay that this is the worst trailer from a major studio ever, I still think the crown belongs to the Ghostbusters (2016) trailer. I mean, from a technical standpoint this is worse, but the Ghostbusters trailer took a bad movie and made it look so much worse, which is quite an achievement. The Ghostbusters trailer was aggressively off-putting, it was an assault on my brain and my senses and it was downright painful to watch. This Munsters trailer is just really embarrassing. It's shocking because I can't believe that a major studio seriously put this out as promotional material meant to entice people to watch a movie, but I didn't feel like I had just been punched in the ears and eyes repeatedly like I had after the Ghostbusters trailer.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I think part of me always enjoys Alien Resurrection these days for the proto-Firefly crew that Whedon put in the script.  Plus just having that combination of Ron Perlman, Michael WIncott, and Brad Dourif supporting it all.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Leprechaun 4: In Space is a better movie than Alien: Resurrection.

The Cursed (2021). I wouldn't say that it's a fun movie, because children being brutally killed isn't fun, but it's a good historical horror film. There's a lot of mist and smoke that can make it hard to follow at times, but it creates a sense of inevitability and dread that works well for atmosphere. I very much liked the monster design despite the CGI. All in all I'd recommend this to fans of horror, it's better than any of the Alien(s) films besides Alien.

Hhaha, I may be watching all the Leprechan films later this year...

• Gasp! 1

4 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Hhaha, I may be watching all the Leprechan films later this year...

leprechaun-returns-picture-e154334645925

• Like 1