Ukraine Conflict - Der Weg zurück

Chilloutman

I wouldn't quite say complete fraud, but yes, just a tad overexaggerated. The reported fire was in a building outside the reactor grounds (though associated with the facility via training/ admin) according to the people running the place, let alone outside the reactor building(s) itself, and the plant is secure. That probably doesn't make quite as exciting a story nor earn as many clicks though.

They're chunky reactors anyway and designed to survive a plane crashing into them- though they do lack the charm and unique personality of the classic RBMK design.

1 hour ago, ComradeYellow said:

Turns out this was all a fraud after all.  Local officials trying to instigate panic for more Western support and has in fact been condemned by Western nuclear experts as a political ploy.

No. That Russian forces shelled the plant and set it on fire is a fact.

There are also now plenty of footage coming from satellites and drones showing the extent of Russian carnage in the suburbs of Kyiv and Kharkiv and in southern Ukraine. Entire towns and neighborhoods and blocks and blocks of homes and apartment buildings destroyed. Clearly Putin has now decided his strategy, in the face of the Ukrainians refusing to welcome him as their savior, will be one of destroying the country and terrorizing the people to break them and make them surrender. He even plans to stage public executions of Ukrainians who resist his occupation.

• Sad 1

"Those evil nazi Ukrainians raised exaggerated alarms because of mere administrative building fire in the big nuclear plant! The nerve of these guys, amirite?  How dare they discredit glorious Russian army, the most peace loving army in the world!" 

- some dumbass tankie somewhere

Meanwhile, the most peace loving country's in the world "Parliament" just fully approved the law criminalizing, well, saying anything different than official state propaganda:

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-duma-false-news-war-law-invasion/31734629.html

Up to fifteen years for "false news". Like for murder. The only thing this law needs now is the signature of septic tank in human form...oh, pardon me, comrade yellow, didn't see you there. Ahem. " The glorious peacekeeper, the sole saviour of the world from putrescent miasma emanating from decadent USA and its nazi fascist allies, may his botox reserve stay bottomless forever!"  

• Like 2

Deleted a few posts. Let’s *not* play the false quote game without making it painfully explicit it’s a sarcastic paraphrasing, never said in that form by the person being quoted. Or I’ll get grumpy.

It’s fine to give an interpretation of what somebody else says (within reason) but don’t make it look like something actually said 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Ehhh... More economic pain? 

-----

Little known companies like Ukraine's Cryoin play large roles in the global production of semiconductors. Cryoin, for example, makes the neon gas used to power lasers that make patterns on chips. 

It supplies to the U.S., Europe, Japan, Korea, China, and Taiwan - and the ripple effects of disruption in its supply "can be felt around the world," the report says.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Darkpriest said:

Ehhh... More economic pain? 

-----

Little known companies like Ukraine's Cryoin play large roles in the global production of semiconductors. Cryoin, for example, makes the neon gas used to power lasers that make patterns on chips. 

It supplies to the U.S., Europe, Japan, Korea, China, and Taiwan - and the ripple effects of disruption in its supply "can be felt around the world," the report says.

Dark can you quickly explain something, are all the Slavs in the East European countries from the same  Slavic group ?

And are the Slavs in Russian the same as the Ukrainian ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

51 minutes ago, bugarup said:

"

Up to fifteen years for "false news". Like for murder. The only thing this law needs now is the signature of septic tank in human form...oh, pardon me, comrade yellow, didn't see you there. Ahem. " The glorious peacekeeper, the sole saviour of the world from putrescent miasma emanating from decadent USA and its nazi fascist allies, may his botox reserve stay bottomless forever!"  

@Gorth

Putin has now passed this law to persecute anyone in the media for negative or false news ....I think its time we both acknowledged that Putin  doesn't believe in any Democrat principles and is a  tyrant 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

50 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Dark can you quickly explain something, are all the Slavs in the East European countries from the same  Slavic group ?

And are the Slavs in Russian the same as the Ukrainian ?

In short, no. 

It's like asking, if all Germanic tribes are the same. 

Once i saw this vid, which seemed interesting. Not on tribes, but how Russia came to be. 

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Like 2

That's pure Orwellianism.

What a waste this all is. Let us remember that Kyiv has an awful lot more history than Moscow does. Kyiv was around, and a major center, for approximately half a millennium before Moscow even existed.

Edited by xzar_monty
  • Like 4

well I had really hard time sleeping with burning nuke on the news

• Gasp! 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Funny, I wasn't really sleeping well for a full week now. Every day is a bit of a mess and now I'm pretty much sleeping a few hours right after work, and then a few hours later in the night. And every time I wake up this feels so unreal, like none of this really happened. It also doesn't help that the last couple weeks were very stressful for me and already costing my sanity. Weird experience.

Right now I'm just hoping that I'm opening the news feed and it says that russia pulled out of ukraine and all is like before again. Everyone is a big, happy family. Yay.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I've got a Ukrainian driver that went home for christmas and stayed to go back into the army, I hope he's ok. Awesome guy, while all other truckdrivers where watching netflix in their cabs, he went running to the gym and then ran back.

• Like 6

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

6 minutes ago, majestic said:

We have colleagues in both Russia and the Ukraine (who are all fine, luckily, for the time being at least), it's pretty surreal.

19 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Funny, I wasn't really sleeping well for a full week now. Every day is a bit of a mess and now I'm pretty much sleeping a few hours right after work, and then a few hours later in the night. And every time I wake up this feels so unreal, like none of this really happened. It also doesn't help that the last couple weeks were very stressful for me and already costing my sanity. Weird experience.

Right now I'm just hoping that I'm opening the news feed and it says that russia pulled out of ukraine and all is like before again. Everyone is a big, happy family. Yay.

1 hour ago, Chilloutman said:

well I had really hard time sleeping with burning nuke on the news

If you guys are looking for any advice or coping mechanism around how the nuclear holocaust threat is causing anxiety let me know. I have had PTSD twice and I know thats  not what you experiencing but its symptoms can be similar 

And something else, I have never known the 3 of you to share the same reasonable concerns and anxiety. Its normal and  the fact you mentioned it is a good step, you must accept it because it is something real and dont think its silly

John Milton 

Well, it's not *that* bad. In good news, I bought Elden Ring today, so I'm going to shut off completely for at least a couple hours, maybe even the full weekend. And who knows, if I'm lucky, I might even see the end of it before we're burning in the nuclear holocaust.

That said, it does bring up quite the old forgotten fear about Chernobyl back into the daylight. Of course I was too young at the time to realize any of what had happened, but my parents got stories to tell..

• Like 3

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

@Gorth

Putin has now passed this law to persecute anyone in the media for negative or false news ....I think its time we both acknowledged that Putin  doesn't believe in any Democrat principles and is a  tyrant 

To the best of my knowledge, I never claimed Putin to be a champion of Democracy. What I have given him credit for, is providing stability after the implosion of the Soviet Union. The Russian "rump state", with the worlds largest (possibly second largest, as I don't know how many of the nukes Kazakhstan and Ukraine had respectively) and completely falling apart.

I still remember watching on TV, how Soviet tanks rolled into Moscow as Red Army officers wanted to force a stop to the dissolution by any means necessary and Yeltsin taking power, literally on the barricades and then proceeded to governing the remnant of Russia while transitioning the country from communism to alcoholism.

My horror vision back then was a Russian federation falling apart into 30+ warring areas, each with a warlord or oligarch with their private armies and all of them having hands on nuclear weapons, including world wide reaching ICBM's

Putin put an end to that and made me sleep better at night in the late 90's. That I will give him credit for. Also for trying to approach the west and get Russia integrated with Western Europe, but constantly being rejected, rebuffed and mocked for his attempts at modernizing Russia together with the west, rather than despite the west doing much other than encouraging the Ukrainian invasion of Crimea (where were the cries of outrage and the threats of sanctions against Ukraine when they occupied Crimea? Oh right, the victims were Russians, therefore it was perfectly Ok and beneficial for the west), splitting off chunks of sovereign countries allied with Russia, ignoring sovereign borders, and acting with at times cringe worthy arrogance. All those events in the 90's contribute to me "feeling", that this is very much something the west brought upon itself, despite all the cries of outrage and disbelief.

Yes, we can easily agree today, that isolation and ridicule may have done permanent damage to Russia and Putin's psyche, creating a completely irrational and ruthless decision maker. I still ask the question though, what could have been done differently at a much earlier point in time (like 1991-92) to avoid the present.

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Well, it's not *that* bad. In good news, I bought Elden Ring today, so I'm going to shut off completely for at least a couple hours, maybe even the full weekend. And who knows, if I'm lucky, I might even see the end of it before we're burning in the nuclear holocaust.

That said, it does bring up quite the old forgotten fear about Chernobyl back into the daylight. Of course I was too young at the time to realize any of what had happened, but my parents got stories to tell..

The likelihood  of Putin ever using nukes is 1% or so but the reality is you will   feel anxiety because its something that is real  and then what doesnt help  in the media coverage is headlines like " Nuclear plant: How dangerous was the attack and what is the risk in Ukraine " 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-60609633

John Milton 

16 minutes ago, Gorth said:

To the best of my knowledge, I never claimed Putin to be a champion of Democracy. What I have given him credit for, is providing stability after the implosion of the Soviet Union. The Russian "rump state", with the worlds largest (possibly second largest, as I don't know how many of the nukes Kazakhstan and Ukraine had respectively) and completely falling apart.

I still remember watching on TV, how Soviet tanks rolled into Moscow as Red Army officers wanted to force a stop to the dissolution by any means necessary and Yeltsin taking power, literally on the barricades and then proceeded to governing the remnant of Russia while transitioning the country from communism to alcoholism.

My horror vision back then was a Russian federation falling apart into 30+ warring areas, each with a warlord or oligarch with their private armies and all of them having hands on nuclear weapons, including world wide reaching ICBM's

Putin put an end to that and made me sleep better at night in the late 90's. That I will give him credit for. Also for trying to approach the west and get Russia integrated with Western Europe,avoid the present.

This has been a very informative post and I wish you had explained this earlier when I asked.  I realized I didnt  know part of your history with him because I do read your posts and I do  remember most of them because  I have  a semi-photographic memory and its helpful most of the time. But sometimes its a little frustrating because I see some patterns  in your posts when we having random chats and these patterns aren't  necessarily intentional so I realize its because I dont know  your history and now I understand. I dont have these types of connections to Putin and Im interested

And you also right about other comments like " its easier to negotiate and understand Russia than China " and thats absolutely right 

This invasion doesn't change that 8)

And Gorth I hold you in high regard and I would be shocked to hear you use Comrade  words  like  "  champion of Democracy " ....:grin:

• Gasp! 1

John Milton