The All Things Political Topic - Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities

ShadySands

11 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

This is an interesting argument, much like learning the stove is hot by getting burned. But in terms of discipline, couldn't you get the same pain inducement by making a student run a lap or do push-ups?

I dont think the stove analogy is the same 

And doing physical exercise instead of being caned can be  worse, what if the pupil is overweigh or has a heart condition? I am surprised that you as  a teacher thinks that would be a good idea ...Im very surprised ;(

I appreciate the fact you thinking of ways to improve discipline but we have to reasonable and not humiliate young people.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Considering the Childhood Obesity Facts | Overweight & Obesity | CDC rate of ~19%, how would you discipline those that are unable to perform physical exercise? 

That is weird, you thought of the exact same thing as me

" Great minds think alike " and all that 8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, majestic said:

lol idk u guys if some fatty cant run then maybe being laughed at will whip 'em back in shape. their is nothing wrong with a bit of shaming.

Youre right: Peer Pressure (aacap.org)

Peers can be positive and supportive. They can help each other develop new skills, or stimulate interest in books, music or extracurricular activities.

👍

10 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Its well meaning but its also  propaganda and I encourage people not to fall for it, you dont need a study like this when myself and millions of other people have lived experience of the benefits of the discipline and respect most  learn through corporal punishment 

corporal punishment is the last refuge of the incompetent and uncreative. collective punishment is where it is at. at first, discipline the offender. then discipline the offender harshly, and if that doesn't help, punish everyone but the offender

the problem will magically fix "itself" really soon, in one way or the other

edit:

obviously that's for groups, i.e. school. if your kid misbehaves at home and a simple grounding won't fix issues, then corporal punishment might, but belting, not caning. just make sure to not whip with the belt buckle, you kinda don't want teachers to notice when you're beating the crap out of your misbegotten spawn. :yes: otherwise they might sic the authorities on you, stupid nanny state pansies.

Edited by majestic
  • Hmmm 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

13 minutes ago, majestic said:

corporal punishment is the last refuge of the incompetent and uncreative. collective punishment is where it is at. at first, discipline the offender. then discipline the offender harshly, and if that doesn't help, punish everyone but the offender

the problem will magicall fix "itself" really soon, in one way or the other

edit:

obviously that's for groups, i.e. school. if your kid misbehaves at home and a simple grounding won't fix issues, then corporal punishment might, but belting, not caning. just make sure to not whip with the belt buckle, you kinda don't want teachers to notice when you're beating the crap out of your misbegotten spawn. :yes: otherwise they might sic the authorities on you, stupid nanny state pansies.

Why do you guys keep assuming caning is about extreme beatings? You make it out like its some sort of abuse

Did your parents never spank you when you were  growing up?

John Milton 

IMO the most effective punishment for kids is to deprive them of "things" and make them earn them back. When I was a kid my dad took away the Atari (for me) because of one thing I did or another. Probably a bad report card. My brother got to play but not me. That got my attention. Given the choice between that and a spanking which do you think was a bigger motivator?

LOL this is a funny story though. My dad was an old school Southern Democrat Baptist blue collar guy. He made a joke of spankings long after they abandoned the practice. He'd say "Boy, go cut me a switch" whenever my brother and I did something foolish.  In the southern US vernacular that means "go get a stick and bring it to me so I can whip you with it". Anyway, fast forward to when I was 18, leaving soon for the USMC and I'm helping him change the oil on our cars. I dropped the waste oil pan, made a hell of a mess. He joking said "Boy go cut me a switch". There was a fallen tree branch nearby. Big old oak branch. I must have weighed 80 lbs. I was 18, my dad early 50's. I picked that thing up and carried to him easily as can be and told him there you go if he could lift it! We laughed about that. He was a good man. I still miss him sometimes.  

• Like 7

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Man, shame if any of you guys procreated...

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just now, BruceVC said:

Why do you guys keep assuming caning is about extreme beatings? You make it out like its some sort of abuse

im not saying that at all. canes leave marks, belts generally dont if youre careful (use extra broad ones). better safe than sorry. schools here used to make kids kneel on pieces of wood or on grain, that's also much better than caning... and it provides some extra humiliation, and they might as well pray in that position. win-win!

1 minute ago, BruceVC said:

Did your parents never spank you when you were  growing up?

No, they did not.

• Hmmm 1

54 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Considering the Childhood Obesity Facts | Overweight & Obesity | CDC rate of ~19%, how would you discipline those that are unable to perform physical exercise? 

PE is a requirement in every school in the US, so I'm not sure why you think obese people can't perform physical exercises.

But as a Social Science teacher, I'm more likely to assign research projects based on the problem that the student is having in my class. Of course, this only works if I have parents that are willing to support that type of discipline. 

Corporal punishment is whack, yo. I'm surprised I even need to say that. I'm not in the habit of completely destroying student's trust in me as an educator.

• Like 2

Poor diet defeats exercise, no ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

36 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Which again is linked to poverty, income inequality and food insecurity...

https://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2018/18_0217.htm

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Some of yall are too keen on beating kids. Pretty suspect tbh.

26 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Pretty much every fitness person I've talked to, from personal trainers to enthusiasts, say that in terms of weight/fat loss diet is more important than exercise. A daily hour of activity can't overcome a diet saturated in sugars, nasty fats, and other stuff that is increasingly ubiquitous in foods. I'm not sure why this is a surprise to some folks.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Just now, Gorth said:

Which again is linked to poverty, income inequality and food insecurity...

https://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2018/18_0217.htm

well, biden has been trying to address the problem, but there appears to be some resistance to making sure american kids get at least one decent meal every day while their bodies and brains are still developing. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

https://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/beijing-olympics-2022-roc-figure-skater-kamila-valieva-15-reportedly-tes-positive-for-banned-substance/

Another example of Russia cheating in a sports event, I suppose these Olympics are being held in a country where their is no regard for human rights or basic freedoms so its not a huge surprise 

• Gasp! 1

John Milton 

13 minutes ago, KP the Torque Dork said:

Pretty much every fitness person I've talked to, from personal trainers to enthusiasts, say that in terms of weight/fat loss diet is more important than exercise. A daily hour of activity can't overcome a diet saturated in sugars, nasty fats, and other stuff that is increasingly ubiquitous in foods. I'm not sure why this is a surprise to some folks.

Every now and then politicians talk about creating a rating system for food, like green = healthy and red = bad for you, but it would probably be better if companies were just forced to print an "excercise equivalent" on their food. A Snickers bar would read: Requires up to one hour of biking to burn off. That'll also drive the point home just how impossible it is to lose weight by exercising more. There's still health benefits if you take care not to kill your joints (like by running while still heavily overweight), so it's never a bad time to start and all that, but it's not going to work without some serious changes in lifestyle.

• Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, majestic said:

Every now and then politicians talk about creating a rating system for food, like green = healthy and red = bad for you, but it would probably be better if companies were just forced to print an "excercise equivalent" on their food. A Snickers bar would read: Requires up to one hour of biking to burn off. That'll also drive the point home just how impossible it is to lose weight by exercising more. There's still health benefits if you take care not to kill your joints (like by running while still heavily overweight), so it's never a bad time to start and all that, but it's not going to work without some serious changes in lifestyle.

I think a problem with that is that different people need different amounts of exercise to offset calories and the potential to low ball it (like basing it off what a 195cm/6'4" gym god would need to do). Generally though I agree, for a lot of people 400 calories (mostly made up of sugars and fats) is harder to conceptualize than one hour of cardio.

Practically though I doubt it, or even color labels, are going to happen so you'll have some people swear hazelnut sugar paste is actually healthy.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Obesity which is impervious to exercise-->caused by poor diet-->which is linked to poverty-->which is combated by a lone school lunch/5/7 days. We could really move the obesity needle downward in a large percentage of our children by forcing the cafeterias to provide a balanced meal! BOOMSHAKALAKA, problem solved.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Obesity which is impervious to exercise-->caused by poor diet-->which is linked to poverty-->which is combated by a lone school lunch/5/7 days. We could really move the obesity needle downward in a large percentage of our children by forcing the cafeterias to prov

ide a balanced meal! BOOMSHAKALAKA, problem solved.

" Obesity which is impervious to exercise " :lol:

John Milton 

ignoring the appeal to absurdism, five quality meals a week for kids who might not be certain o' receiving one such meal a week, would seem to be a significant improvement. this ain't even a new math conundrum. five is better than zero in the present context. is also not just an obesity issue 'cause as already observed, brain development is also inextricable linked to proper nutrition. furthermore, the biden efforts, if one actual reads the linked articles, allocate funds to increase snap coverage in the hope families will be better able to feed children when those kids is not receiving meals at school. unfortunate, there is hardly a guarantee that more food money means better nutrition for many children. school lunch is the one meal per day fed, state and local governments, which have a rather vested interest in the long term physical and intellectual growth o' school age children, is able to be certain those kids have the opportunity to enjoy the benefits o' a nutritionally balanced meal, so why would one possible argue such is a bad idea?

schools current get the kids exercise, which is a good thing.

observe that exercise alone ain't enough? well, is not as if such is a reason for getting rid o' school exercise programs, 'cause that would be dumb, right? nobody would suggest something so utter stoopid.

well, ok, how 'bout find ways to improve nutrition? one obvious solution is to make certain that meals at schools is free to all and that such meals is nutritionally beneficial. but five meals a week ain't a guarantee kids will be getting enough nutrition and school lunches is not gonna end obesity, so scrap that idea? wait? what? doing so is just as dumb as is getting rid o' school exercise.

some things is complicated. making sure kids get decent school lunches is not particular complicated and is a whole lot cheaper than other welfare programs. is tough to frame intelligent arguments opposed to the lunch programs. instead we get fox link and absurdism?  well, ok then.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Strawman massacre in this place.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Food is another one of those basic inalienable human rights and should be free for everyone in this country.

Gfted1 I thought of something that confuses me. If inequality and poverty is the primary factor that  leads to obesity why is it that in the  12 African countries I have worked in  you will find that obesity is not a societal problem?

Why is it that obesity is only caused by poverty and inequality in first world countries because  poverty and inequality is much worse throughout Africa ?

John Milton