Food Thread - Obsidian Gormand's Edition

ShadySands

8 minutes ago, majestic said:

Unhealthy takeout day at work:

WdZ1xup.png

Productivity projection after consumption: uncertain, but tending towards zero.

Needless to say, I sorta feel, uhm, sick. Just in case anyone's wondering what the item on the right side really is, that's deep fried chicken with bacon on top of a massive amount of cheese fries. Not sure why that is under 'sides' on the menu, but... I feel like I'm going to explode. In more ways than one. :pΒ :xΒ 

Β  Reveal hidden contents

More than half of the cheese fries is left. Guess I know what's for dinner. Heh.

Β 

if you're not afraid of PETA, you could give them to the seagulls πŸ˜‡

• Haha 1

β€œHe who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein
Β 

Zupa Szczawiowa (Sorrel Soup):

wqwRwqQ.jpeg

One of my all time favorite soups. Sorrel isn't indigenous to North America and it's not something I can find at my local grocery store, so I grew my own. Absolutely worth the wait.

Β 

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈRFK Jr 2024πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

8 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

After a ~40 year hiatus, I have rediscovered oatmeal:Β Great Value Instant Oatmeal Variety Pack, 13.7 oz, 10 Packets - Walmart.com

Delicious, warm and sticks to me for a while. :thumbsup:

Oatmeal is geat, but I prefer rolled oats to instant oats. It takes slightly longer to cook rolled oats, but I like the texture much better. I usually just add butter, salt, and pepper, I don't generally go the sweet route.

• Like 1

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

Oatmeal is geat, but I prefer rolled oats to instant oats. It takes slightly longer to cook rolled oats, but I like the texture much better. I usually just add butter, salt, and pepper, I don't generally go the sweet route.

am finding an instapot makes simple and we may make a batch o' steel cut oats large enough to last us a week if we so desire. however, real milk is problematic in the instapot. the thing is, as horrible as is almond milk or soy milk in literal everything else we has ever "cooked," it is our choice when making milk + oats in the pressure cooker... and somehow those milk alternatives is not vile. weird.

regardless, instapot is extreme simple and while it takes a bit more time than instant, is kinda a labor= zero situation as you throw everything in the pot, give a stir, close lid and then start the pressure cooking.Β 

HA! Good Fun!

Β 

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Butter and brie baguette. Definitely a good sandwich.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"YouΒ are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfullyΒ it seems like the creatorsΒ like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don'tΒ forgetΒ the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"AreΒ you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feralΒ camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

33 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Β 

That was the inspiration. It really is a damn good sandwich.

Now I want donuts.

Β 

Β 

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"YouΒ are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfullyΒ it seems like the creatorsΒ like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don'tΒ forgetΒ the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"AreΒ you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feralΒ camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

On 11/19/2022 at 8:28 PM, Gfted1 said:

After a ~40 year hiatus, I have rediscovered oatmeal:Β Great Value Instant Oatmeal Variety Pack, 13.7 oz, 10 Packets - Walmart.com

Delicious, warm and sticks to me for a while. :thumbsup:

https://www.jungleoats.co.za/Products/Instant/Oatso-Easy/Original

In SA we have had access to instant oats for 15-20 years, I assumed this common in the rest of the world ...its known asΒ  Oatso EasyΒ 

Β 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John MiltonΒ 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -Β  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Β 

Β 

14 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I think you misunderstood (or I you), oats have always been available here in the US, I just havent eaten any since I was a wee lad.

And I just Googled it and oats dont grow in the jungle, should I be upset that someones getting appropriated? :pΒ 

Yes I did misunderstand you, I thought you were surprised with the concept ofΒ  instant oats because cookingΒ  oats use to be a longer processΒ πŸ₯£

Β 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John MiltonΒ 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -Β  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Β 

Β 

6 minutes ago, majestic said:

I like my oats refined. It takes a while, but ultimately, they turn into this:

leberkaesesemmerl2.jpg

Very tasty.Β 

Β  Hide contents

Oats -> horse feed ->Β PferdeleberkΓ€se.

Is that similar to a pΓ’tΓ© or is it more solid than that?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Is that similar to a pΓ’tΓ© or is it more solid than that?

The consistency is similar to softer sausages, e.g. like baloney.

Edited by majestic
  • Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Yes I did misunderstand you, I thought you were surprised with the concept ofΒ  instant oats because cookingΒ  oats use to be a longer processΒ πŸ₯£

Its interesting to me that something as inconsequential as instant oatmeal was only just introduced to SA in 2002! Its a good reminder for me how different the world can be. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Its interesting to me that something as inconsequential as instant oatmeal was only just introduced to SA in 2002! Its a good reminder for me how different the world can be. :thumbsup:

Absolutely and Apartheid sanctions play a huge part in that, we were behind in certain things and advancements until 1994 more or less and then things started changingΒ 

John MiltonΒ 

Β 

Β 

9 hours ago, majestic said:

I like my oats refined. It takes a while, but ultimately, they turn into this:

leberkaesesemmerl2.jpg

Very tasty.Β 

Β  Reveal hidden contents

Oats -> horse feed ->Β PferdeleberkΓ€se.

That's worse than the English and their Blood Sausage πŸ˜–

• Gasp! 1

β€œHe who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein
Β 

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

I can't speak for English blood sausage, but I LOVE kaszanka (Polish/German blood sausage).

f54209847c519df6d0e46642a9db66fd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

4 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I can't speak for English blood sausage, but I LOVE kaszanka (Polish/German blood sausage).

f54209847c519df6d0e46642a9db66fd.jpg

I love any Blood sausage for breakfast, sliced thin and cooked in oil make an excellent accompaniment for bacon and eggs 🍳

• Like 1

John MiltonΒ 

Β 

Β 

10 hours ago, Gorth said:

Blood sausage is best when it is fresh from the cooker while it is still hot and creamy. Put on a plate, cut it open, enjoy with some sauerkraut and/or potatoes. If you don't make your own blood sausages (well, who does, it's predictably a rather bloody business :p) and have no access to someone offering freshly cooked ones (difficult unless you live close to someone who still hosts a Schlachtfest - or as we call it, a Sautanz), this can be reproduced in some easy steps.

Offer one blood sausage to the sausage gods. Cut it up, boil in water for a while, then reduce heat, add the blood sausages and wait until they're hot. Serve with sauerkraut and potatoes, add a mustard of your choice or freshly grated horseradish if you want.

Result should look like this:

blut-und-leberwurst-mit-kartoffeln-und-s

Offering that initial sausage to the gods is an important step though, don't do this with regular water. You'll lose taste. :yes:Β 

Pretty sure I posted that already. :pΒ 

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Making chitlins, short ribs, polenta, and collard greens. Wife bought rolls and meats and cheese for a charcuterie board. Cousin is bringing drinks and pie and other friends are bringing brussel sprouts and maybe something else. Pics later maybe.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

On 11/16/2022 at 11:38 PM, Keyrock said:

Zupa Szczawiowa (Sorrel Soup):

wqwRwqQ.jpeg

One of my all time favorite soups. Sorrel isn't indigenous to North America and it's not something I can find at my local grocery store, so I grew my own. Absolutely worth the wait.

Β 

If it's anything at all like nettle soup, it should be amazing πŸ˜ƒ

• Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken