The All Things Political Topic - As a Bright Lord bears Beacons of flame.

Amentep

9 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Scaring people works wonders.  Wonder what the Democrats can scare people with.

Trump, repealing Roe v Wade, Climate Change, voter suppression, suppression of anyone who isn't a Straight WASP, etc. The problem is that the Democrats constantly show themselves as inept at doing anything about it, and so really only have not being Republicans to run on.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

13 hours ago, Gromnir said:

is not hard to find a syllabus.

https://blogs.brown.edu/amst-2220j-s01-2017-fall/syllabus/

is also taught at harvard law school, which is not surprising as were invented by harvard law school lawyers with intention of teaching future harvard lawyers to take a different perspective and look critical at systemic racism.

crt is not being taught to public school students in virginia. kudos if it were 'cause the syllabi you were asking for reveal this is material which requires a level o' analysis and evaluation way beyond what we expect from most high school and middle schoolers. admitted, tell a bunch o' virginia voters that crt ain't even part o' typical curriculum for undergrads at college but is maybe a graduate seminar at university o' virgina or william and mary would probable still anger a small number o' voters, but is doubtful such would become an election issue worth even breitbart's time to lambast. wouldn't have fox news fabricating outrage. wouldn't have folks like dp parroting the silliness.

but don't get distracted. point is voter fears 'bout crt being taught in virginia public schools, regardless o' what crt is or is not, is the result o' republicans and right-leaning media willful misrepresentations. doesn't matter what crt is if is not actual being taught to kids in virgina schools or anywhere else, yes?

crt is just an example. at the moment, US republicans got nothing, so they are selling fear and relying on ignorance. sure as hell can't sell themselves as the party o' fiscal responsibility and limited government after trump. what is most terrible is that the new politics o' grievance and divisiveness is at least in limited ways a successful strategy for republicans, so their motivation to abandon such is limited. why let little things like honesty and integrity get in the way o' victory, eh?

HA! Good Fun!

Thanks Gromnir, you are the first person who on any forum has been able to post an actual example of the syllabus of CRT. Because this has been much harder to understand than many realize 

I have bookmarked this link and I will go through it 8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Meanwhile, in Brazil, Bolsonaro just granted himself the Medal of the National Order of Scientific Merit and the title of Grand Master.

No, I'm not joking.

Isnt he being charged by the Brazilian parliament for mishandling the whole pandemic ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 11/4/2021 at 11:37 PM, BruceVC said:

Thanks Gromnir, you are the first person who on any forum has been able to post an actual example of the syllabus of CRT. Because this has been much harder to understand than many realize 

I have bookmarked this link and I will go through it 8)

noteworthy observation:

included in the syllabus link from brown is the required text list and first the book on that list, Critical race theory: An introduction, is available online and is free.

https://uniteyouthdublin.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/richard_delgado_jean_stefancic_critical_race_thbookfi-org-1.pdf

is not a long book. is ~190 total pages and that includes near 40 pages o' glossary, bibliography, recommended reading lists and similar such filler. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Looks like there's been an attempt to assassinate the Iraqi PM via 'suicide drone'.

(More than a bit skeptical about it, if someone wanted Khadhimi dead there would be far more reliable ways to do it than hitting the Presidential Palace with a drone. Not like there's a shortage of people willing to take bribes in Iraq let alone anyone willing to do it directly for ideological reasons)

2 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

I watched Four Hours at the Capitol on HBO. Man, **** Trump. That was hard to watch. 

What was the most difficult part of it  to watch, to me it wasn't  much different to numerous violent protest or objectives that violent mobs have that I have seen,  except it had an ideological objective or rather several ideological objectives 

John Milton 

5 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

What was the most difficult part of it  to watch, to me it wasn't  much different to numerous violent protest or objectives that violent mobs have that I have seen,  except it had an ideological objective or rather several ideological objectives 

bruce, it happened at the US freaking Capitol, while Congressmen and the Vice President were present, and vulnerable. there were an effort, admitted disorganized, to prevent the peaceful transfer of power from 45 to 46. quixotic, unlike any riot we might care to analogize, this one had an actual authority figure, but ultimately that authority figure were simultaneous under a duty to protect and defend those persons and the institution under attack? trump not only instigated the insurrection, but he refused to take action to defend the Constitution, Congressmen, police officers and civilians at the Capitol that day. so not like any other US protest in living memory.

"what if Pence,"... and is multiple nightmare inducing ways to end that query.

what if a Congressman had been killed?

what if the situation had escalated and Trump had declared martial law?

what if...

the fact you and others frequenting this board do not recognize the significance o' January 6, do not realize just how unprecedented were the events o' the day and just how easily the outcome coulda' been worse but for luck and the actions o' a handful o' people, is... disquieting.

aside: anybody who ever used TDS w/o being ironic previous to january 6 should be embarrassed and they deserve whatever ridicule and mockery is heaped 'pon them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/interactive/2021/warnings-jan-6-insurrection/?itid=hp-top-table-main

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

22 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

bruce, it happened at the US freaking Capitol, while Congressmen and the Vice President were present, and vulnerable. there were an effort, admitted disorganized, to prevent the peaceful transfer of power from 45 to 46. quixotic, unlike any riot we might care to analogize, this one had an actual authority figure, but ultimately that authority figure were simultaneous under a duty to protect and defend those persons and the institution under attack? trump not only instigated the insurrection, but he refused to take action to defend the Constitution, Congressmen, police officers and civilians at the Capitol that day. so not like any other US protest in living memory.

"what if Pence,"... and is multiple nightmare inducing ways to end that query.

what if a Congressman had been killed?

what if the situation had escalated and Trump had declared martial law?

what if...

the fact you and others frequenting this board do not recognize the significance o' January 6, do not realize just how unprecedented were the events o' the day and just how easily the outcome coulda' been worse but for luck and the actions o' a handful o' people, is... disquieting.

aside: anybody who ever used TDS w/o being ironic previous to january 6 should be embarrassed and they deserve whatever ridicule and mockery is heaped 'pon them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/interactive/2021/warnings-jan-6-insurrection/?itid=hp-top-table-main

You are correct in some ways, I dont consider it a real insurrection that could have stopped Biden becoming president

Their was no legal way for them to achieve that as far as I know?

John Milton 

4 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

You are correct in some ways, I dont consider it a real insurrection that could have stopped Biden becoming president

Their was no legal way for them to achieve that as far as I know?

so strange. during his presidency, trump did illegal over and over and over again. go back through our old posts and reference how many times we observed that trump were doing were illegal, but that nobody were stopping him. doesn't matter if something is technical illegal if there is no way to stop save with impeachment and trial conviction. 

sometimes it feels like a majority o' people were not paying attention during the four years o' the trump Presidency.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

sometimes it feels like a majority o' people were not paying attention during the four years o' the trump Presidency.

Unless something big directly changes or happens in our ever so small personal universes, nothing is really worth worrying about.

• Both sides are the same.
  • There's nothing you can do about any of it, so why worry?
  • Just kick back, relax, and enjoy the fireworks - it's not like any of this matters!
  • Only worry about yourself and your own.
  • Do and say anything no matter how reprehensible it may be as long as it's legal and they're paying you for it - it's not as though you have any personal responsibility for your actions.
  • They are all corrupt anyways, why support or believe in anyone or anything at all?
  • I'll fight, maim, and possibly kill anyone who infringes on me.
  • The entire country was going to collapse sooner or later anyways.
  • How in the world did things get so bad, where did we go so wrong?
  • They are all the same!
  • Well, what they did may have direct consequences for you, but it doesn't really matter to me, so...
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

38 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Unless something big directly changes or happens in our ever so small personal universes, nothing is really worth worrying about.

• Just kick back, relax, and enjoy the fireworks - it's not like any of this matters!
  • Do and say anything no matter how reprehensible it may be as long as it's legal and they're paying you for it - it's not as though you have any personal responsibility for your actions.
  • They are all corrupt anyways, why support or believe in anyone or anything at all?
  • They are all the same!
  • Well, what they did may have direct consequences for you, but it doesn't really matter to me, so...

Geez I definitely dont agree with such a negative assessment of the current state of the USA, yes their are problems but its not as bad as you saying 

John Milton 

5 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

• They are all the same!

I’m glad to see all of your years reading my posts have not been ill spent! 😆

JK!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

5 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Geez I definitely dont agree with such a negative assessment of the current state of the USA, yes their are problems but its not as bad as you saying 

am thinking he is doing a fair job o' identifying the polarizing extremism o' so many americans coupled with the curious self-serving and delusional indifference o' those others who justified their indolence and apathy in spite o' each new trump excess being broadcast daily. 

16 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

perhaps make you feel better to know you were hardly alone. how many others has been proclaiming each new improbable to be qq worthy fake news and nothing burger fodder?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

JK!

GD...look at what you have spawned....an army of " mini-GDs" :teehee:

John Milton 

41 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

JK!

Wel...they are all the same. 😈

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

am thinking he is doing a fair job o' identifying the polarizing extremism o' so many americans coupled with the curious self-serving and delusional indifference o' those others who justified their indolence and apathy in spite o' each new trump excess being broadcast daily.

That was the idea, yes.

And you're right, it's not just Guard Dog, either - I have seen and personally heard that old "they're the same" line what feels like literally a thousand times over the past ~5 years, a rallying cry for that "ah, **** it" attitude that is so dangerously prevalent in this country. I won't lie, I think Democrats are by and large incompetent at best or self-serving status quo maintainers at worst who either lack the ability or will to actually meaningfully accomplish anything half-decent for anyone, and that really sucks for the literal tens of millions of people in this country that are stuck in terrible dead-end situations without the time, energy, resources, and/or opportunity to realistically be able to make any positive changes, while the majority of our politicians just yuck it up. I don't want to support almost nothing changing, but that's the awful choice I find myself desperately clinging to in the face of the alternative that we have seen.

And if you really think filling up every single government position with the most cartoonishly incompetent and awful people for each job is still perfectly well and good after the absolute circus that we were forced to endure where almost every institution, tradition, and value that we as people were supposed to hold dear was brutally violated over a period of four years capped off by our president provoking an illegal takeover of our capitol while simultaneously filling up both our courts and the Pentagon with hacks all in a increasingly pathetic attempt to cling to power...ay, karamba - I don't even know what to say to you. Did he need to have actually succeeded for people to have finally noticed that things are not just "same old politics"? No, I will not - cannot - see both sides as "being the same" until at least the worst of that rot is cut off, crushed, and finally burned for what it is. When and if that happens, I will be more content to let that old "they're the same" line slide.

Rome wasn't built in a day...but it also didn't fall in a day, either - these things take their toll.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

14 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

perhaps make you feel better to know you were hardly alone. how many others has been proclaiming each new improbable to be qq worthy fake news and nothing burger fodder?

HA! Good Fun!

Believe all of it, believe none of it. It really does NOT matter. Voting for Trump or voting for Biden would have made zero difference for either of us. Somewhere around 170M votes cast. You had one and I had one. We didn't make a difference. But I'm the one who wasted my vote because I choose not to vote for a lesser evil. Whatever.

And yeah I think it is ENTIRELY probable that Biden COULD have used his position in the Obama Admin to help cover his son.  It can't be proven one way or another so who gives a f--k who believes it. Even if it was all true it's  not like anyone is ever going to suffer any consequences from it. I also figure anyone who will actually pay $500k for one of HB's s----y painting isn't buying art. They are buying a favor from the admin down the road. Can that be proven? Nope. It is probable? Yep. 

Even if I thought Biden was the greatest leader in the history of the office and Trump was the lowest villain in the history of the office and voted for Biden based on that it STILL would not have helped him become President anymore than you voting for Trump would have helped him. So yes, it makes no f---g difference. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

28 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

GD...look at what you have spawned....an army of " mini-GDs" :teehee:

LOL I think you were missing Barti's point there.

Thomas Sowell

16 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

LOL I think you were missing Barti's point there.

Probably :grin:

John Milton 

is not the least bit probable biden engineered the international effort to get shokin removed, unless you work kinda hard to convince self o' such stoopid. is not even a likely reason why biden, if he were indeed corrupt and attempting to help his son by doing a dr. mesmer on the european community and the US state department, would want to have the corrupt shokin removed from a case he were not making efforts to investigate. the idea being that burisma were somehow relieved to hear that shokin were being replaced with a less easily manipulated prosecutor who would be facing constant international scrutiny? serious?

as for the painting, is a good thing a guy like hunter weren't elected to office, 'cause somebody who would take gifts/bribes and dole out political favours in return would be too much to bear... though you were indifferent to such for four years because such didn't matter. is not like the hunter painting thing were done sneaky. were only an issue because there were the slimmest and most remote possibility o' showing some taint o' joe biden. *chuckle* am having no idea who bought the damned painting, but the one person you may guarantee will never get a favour from the biden administration is the person who did purchase. 

but yeah, no single vote matters in a national election, which is why nobody should ever vote.

wait, that makes no sense whatsoever. duh.

HA! Good Fun!

ps am gonna observe hunter is indeed a problem for joe biden. hunter has made questionable life choices. is it possible, particular given biden family history that joe biden could be blackmailed to protect his son? dunno, but we wouldn't dismiss such a query outta hand. the thing is, the stuff with the painting, which am betting were nothing but a headache and a source o' irritation for joe and the administration as 'posed to the kinda thing which results in favours, were done extreme public; no possibility o' blackmail. 

once again, gd sees corruption 'cause he needs to see to excuse his willful indifference. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Haha 1

If I should describe US politics after the last (half) dozen posts here, it sounds like the Democrats are the conservative option and the Republicans the regressive option 🤔

• Hmmm 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein