The All Things Political Topic - As a Bright Lord bears Beacons of flame.

Amentep

14 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Essays and short answer questions require thought and explanation. They take time and there is not typically one simple answer that is correct. 

Exactly why I liked those the best! The longer, more vague, and more dissembling the answer.the less scrutiny it received from the teachers. Teachers are busy folks they don’t have time to read five paragraph essay answers. As long as you were somewhere in the vicinity of the correct answer and they see the words they’re looking for I found they didn’t read everything Word for Word. Like they say if you can’t dazzle them with brilliance you could always baffle them with BS!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

22 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Exactly why I liked those the best! The longer, more vague, and more dissembling the answer.the less scrutiny it received from the teachers. Teachers are busy folks they don’t have time to read five paragraph essay answers. As long as you were somewhere in the vicinity of the correct answer and they see the words they’re looking for I found they didn’t read everything Word for Word. Like they say if you can’t dazzle them with brilliance you could always baffle them with BS!

Did you know they have some algorithms that can grade 90% of normed essays now? 😄  Its only a matter of time before it gets to the classroom*! :lol: 

*Not really norming is time consuming and costly...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

37 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Did you know they have some algorithms that can grade 90% of normed essays now? 😄  Its only a matter of time before it gets to the classroom*! :lol: 

*Not really norming is time consuming and costly...

Did not know that. Soon it will reach the point you can’t get away with anything anymore LOL

• Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Our multiple choice in University docked you marks for wrong answers, was interesting way to do it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

your approach doesn't work with bar exam questions. actual, your approach hurts your chances. bar exam graders get paid per question graded. quixotic, in-depth analysis is hurting your efforts to pass the bar exam. as an examinee, the goal is to make important points as clear and easy to spot for the grader as is possible. concise. to-the-point. 

'course is worth noting that the passage rate for ca bar exam feb 2020 hit a horrific low o' ~28%, so ca responded by dropping the score needed to pass. serious. were a yearly trend o' worsening rates o' passage and ca finally gave up and made test passage easier.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

16 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

Yeah, a lot of my students ask for more multiple choice question tests as well. It's really just a time management thing. Multiple choice is simple to take. You circle or bubble in an option and move on. It is simple to grade as well. It is either right or wrong. Essays and short answer questions require thought and explanation. They take time and there is not typically one simple answer that is correct. 

I usually show them towards the end of the year how much better they all do when asked to explain an answer then when they are just bubbling it in. But honestly, they are 12 years old, they are mostly just trying to survive all the social, societal, parental, and hormonal pressures they have newly been introduced to. :p

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

More like workers of the US losing ground. Hopefully one day you'll join the civilized world when it comes to worker rights.

Edit: Link that doesn't require subscription: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-27/democrats-drop-paid-family-leave-from-biden-economic-plan

Edited by Maedhros

16 hours ago, Gromnir said:

your approach doesn't work with bar exam questions. actual, your approach hurts your chances. bar exam graders get paid per question graded. quixotic, in-depth analysis is hurting your efforts to pass the bar exam. as an examinee, the goal is to make important points as clear and easy to spot for the grader as is possible. concise. to-the-point. 

'course is worth noting that the passage rate for ca bar exam feb 2020 hit a horrific low o' ~28%, so ca responded by dropping the score needed to pass. serious. were a yearly trend o' worsening rates o' passage and ca finally gave up and made test passage easier.

HA! Good Fun!

That is true when you’re writing for a more sophisticated audience they will see right through that trash. Someone who knows what they’re talking about will always be able to spot someone who is faking it. But if you wanted to sneak something past a harried and stressed out high school teacher or junior college professor that method definitely works

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

2 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Strange, I guess it depends on where you live? I could read the article fine, but the WSJ link was blocked for me.

The WSJ gives you 5 free per month. After that it’s paywalled. I kept a e-subscription for a long time to WSJ, WaPo, and a few others. I cancelled all of it. Except National Geographic. I love that one. I’m finding as I get older I really don’t give a damn about what’s going on in the world anymore. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

World gets insane

GDP prints at 2%, inflation is at 5.5%+

Curve inverts on long end already

Meanwhile stocks go up, Tesla is now worth more than all other car manufacturers combined

****coins like dogge go to the moon

Derps out... 

Edited by Darkpriest

meta? nothing at all sinister 'bout that. why not just go all in and call it, OMEGA? 

darkseid.png

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

6 hours ago, Gromnir said:

meta? nothing at all sinister 'bout that. why not just go all in and call it, OMEGA? 

darkseid.png

HA! Good Fun!

Its linked to their objective of creating a  metaverse  and  makes sense

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/facebook-goes-meta-what-is-the-metaverse-and-why-is-big-tech-obsessed/

I also feel FB has been very unfairly treated in this latest round of whistleblower scandal ....its very selective and if you didnt know better you would think FB was trying to control the world and  destroy all our family structures  

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

meta, among other aspects, is that which exists above and beyond. "cleverly self-referential." 

bruce, at best they validated assumption that what zuckerberg wants from you is your metadata. you have nothing to fear from the meta, not because fb is harmless but precisely because you are an individual. insignificant. trivial. maybe you have seen meta compared to the borg. silliness. the borg is interested in that which makes you unique and wants to assimilate you. in your vanity you believe you have something worthy of assimilation. meta doesn't care about you personally or anything which makes you unique-- those qualities and attributes which set you apart are rounding errors. only the algorithm matters. so do not fear the meta, because as an individual you are beneath its notice. 

hell, they went so far as to choose a version o' ouroboros as their new logo?

takes some hutzpah to pair meta name with ouroboros and try and sell a kinder and gentler fb.

perhaps zuckerberg gets a limited mass effect license to use one o' the original game characters as a corporate mascot? 

Spoiler

would be an ideal fit.

am mostly joking. mostly.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

meta, among other aspects, is that which exists above and beyond. "cleverly self-referential." 

bruce, at best they validated assumption that what zuckerberg wants from you is your metadata. you have nothing to fear from the meta, not because fb is harmless but precisely because you are an individual. insignificant. trivial. maybe you have seen meta compared to the borg. silliness. the borg is interested in that which makes you unique and wants to assimilate you. in your vanity you believe you have something worthy of assimilation. meta doesn't care about you personally or anything which makes you unique-- those qualities and attributes which set you apart are rounding errors. only the algorithm matters. so do not fear the meta, because as an individual you are beneath its notice. 

hell, they went so far as to choose a version o' ouroboros as their new logo?

takes some hutzpah to pair meta name with ouroboros and try and sell a kinder and gentler fb.

perhaps zuckerberg gets a limited mass effect license to use one o' the original game characters as a corporate mascot? 

Hide contents

would be an ideal fit.

am mostly joking. mostly.

HA! Good Fun!

I realize you partly joking but their are people who studiously misunderstand this latest FB objective and create and feed conspiracy theories which are unhelpful and just add to all this  hysteria and unnecessary " FB bashing " 

I like the idea of a metaverse in some ways of engaging, not with everything as nothing beats normal face to face and RL communication :thumbsup: 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Something less virtual and closer to home... Australia at COP26 🙄

I know I've made the joke before, but Scott Morrison is literally fighting wind mills Don Quixote style, going to great length to sabotage any and all initiative that could lead Australians to turn to renewable energy, including wind, solar and similar energy sources. As for the why doing such a stupid thing, because the fossil fuel industry is one of the three main interest groups currently keeping the Liberal Party afloat (the other two being the mining industry and the church)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

18 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Something less virtual and closer to home... Australia at COP26 🙄

I know I've made the joke before, but Scott Morrison is literally fighting wind mills Don Quixote style, going to great length to sabotage any and all initiative that could lead Australians to turn to renewable energy, including wind, solar and similar energy sources. As for the why doing such a stupid thing, because the fossil fuel industry is one of the three main interest groups currently keeping the Liberal Party afloat (the other two being the mining industry and the church)

As usual I find myself agreeing with my favorite Oz hottie

She should run for the PM role in your government...she would get my vote  💞

• Haha 1

John Milton 

Hypothetical question. Suppose I'm a billionaire. And suppose I own stock in a huge company, we'll call it CHOAM for argument's sake. The stock is doing really, really well. It worth a LOT of money. Now, the emperor requires I pay a capital gains tax on all capital GAINS. But my stock valuation in CHOAM isn't really a GAIN because I haven't sold it for the profit. So no tax. All the previous emperors felt the same way. 

Now, suppose for this example, we get a new Emperor with some radically different ideas on how to run the galaxy. Now he wants to tax my CHOAM stock on it's increase in VALUE even though I haven't technically made any money on it.  Now, after I've paid the tax on the value gain there is an economic downturn. Suppose there is this holy war going, weird new religious cult, space travel is being locked down, CHOAM struggles in challenging economic times and the value plummets WAY below the level I was taxed at. So, my question is can count the amount of tax I paid on the gains I didn't even earn as a capital loss on the losses I never realized?

Hypothetically of course. 

Thomas Sowell