Maybe Philosophy, Maybe Madness, Or Maybe just the Meme Quotes....

Raithe

7 hours ago, Pidesco said:

Generally a nice quote for Libertarians.

Green Mars has a better one

Even if you want no state, or a minimal state, then you still have to argue it point-by-point. Especially since most minimalists want to keep exactly the economic and police system that keeps them privileged. That's libertarians for you--anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I can’t imagine there is any other political philosophy out there that seems to annoy people as much as libertarianism. Imagine a society where you can do what you like, get married whom ever  you like, do what you like in the home and property that you exclusively own, do what you will with the body that is exclusively yours, keep most of the money that you earn and do what you wish with it, and the only restrictions on you is not to hurt, steal from, or otherwise infringe on anyone else. Who would want to live in a hell like that?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

As always it's the people not the philosophy, Robinson wasn't too far off at least thinking of the few libertarians I've run into over the years.  Basically their practice of it is "**** you, I got mine".

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

b73.png

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

223871221_3651574604941960_7927071111929

I can't remember the full quote, but a couple of years back I saw an interview about political change with a guy who used to be a very gung-ho libertarian. The basic concept he gave was that he stopped being a libertarian because something happened in his life and he realised he actually needed to care about people other than himself.

It's going to bug me now because I can't remember the rest of the context.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The tl;dr; version of humans

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

35 Philosophy Humor ideas in 2021 | philosophy, humor, philosophy memes

• Like 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 8/21/2021 at 11:51 AM, Malcador said:

What they tell us about raises at work

do-not-spoil-what-you-have-by-desiring-w

Says the guy who died slowly and painfully of a stone blockage in the urinary track and wished he did not.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

image.thumb.jpeg.6d94c7c850642edd0c80004b5981241b.jpeg

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 minute ago, Guard Dog said:

image.thumb.jpeg.6d94c7c850642edd0c80004b5981241b.jpeg

I've found it interesting that the majority of Physics PhD's I've met are firm believers in a God (of one brand or another), while the majority of Chemistry PhD's are firmly in the atheistic side of thought.

I’m pretty sure engineers believe in God. I have heard many say “oh God please let this work“

• Haha 5

Thomas Sowell

52 minutes ago, Raithe said:

I thought engineers prayed to Murphy?

I think it's more like Satan, you acknowledge his existence and then pray he doesn't acknowledge yours.

• Hmmm 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

image.jpeg.7675b7ee655d6faa50f4b584837d30a4.jpeg

If you ask me Sowell is the smartest person alive right now.

• Like 4

Thomas Sowell

For the discussion points...  ;)

239006733_1248951062272056_9186100219876

Or is dystopian fiction just grim satire?

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

If you ask me Sowell is the smartest person alive right now.

well, he has pretty much written the same book a few dozen times, changing little more than the cover and title page, nevertheless he keeps getting paid, so he is clear doing something right.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

'cause am certain somebody was eventually gonna link.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

3 hours ago, Gromnir said:

well, he has pretty much written the same book a few dozen times, changing little more than the cover and title page, nevertheless he keeps getting paid, so he is clear doing something right.

HA! Good Fun!

Sounds like but Bethesda has done with Skyrim

• Haha 2

Thomas Sowell