Random-Interesting-Weird

Amentep

@GromnirIMO only it would have been better to ignore the chant. Don't give the fire any oxygen and it flickers out. Maybe she didn't know what was being chanted but it sounded pretty clear to me. Better to ignore the pig than put lipstick on it.  It's pretty crass to chant that about anyone. A president deserves no special exemption from being insulted that way other than the fact it's crude to do it. But it's going to happen.  But either way I wouldn't feel too sorry for Kelli Stavast. She came out of this unscathed. I had to google to even remember her name and it did not come up on the first search item. Nor the fifth or sixth. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

31 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

@GromnirIMO only it would have been better to ignore the chant. Don't give the fire any oxygen and it flickers out. 

sorry, but her error, when viewed in the context o' the moment, were at best a minor thing and is doubtful anybody at the time coulda' predicted a sportscaster running interference for nascar fan stoopid, akin to a parent trying to cover for a child who blurted out something profane in front o' guests, would lead to a national rallying cry from the not-so-alt-right-anymore crowd. everybody in her profession knows who she is, and if she is to cover a major sporting event in the future, this is gonna follow her forever

second guess what were at worst a minor mistake? am not sure what we woulda' done in the moment. probably ignore, but we also got no idea what producers were telling her in the moment and am suspecting the situation were a bit more tense for her than it is for us contemplating the event at home. her job is to cover sports, and is doubtful she ever had a class or previous experience with a large crowd repeated chanting political profanity. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps am nevertheless fully conceding that sitting at home and able to reflect in a complete zero-pressure situation, we woulda' ignored chants until a producer told us to do otherwise. "let's go brandon," would not have been our solution, but am suspecting is as much 'cause o' our lack o' creativity as anything. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Telegraph - Japanese armour gifted to the Royal Family survives 400 years thanks to Britain's damp weather

TELEMMGLPICT000000287099627_trans_NvBQzQ

Britain’s weather may not be to everyone’s liking, but the seemingly endless drizzle has been revealed as having a surprisingly strong suit when it comes to preserving items gifted to monarchs.

Samurai armour handed to British royalty has been able to survive for 400 years with help from the damp and dreary UK weather, experts have disclosed ahead of a new exhibition showcasing the Queen’s collection of Japanese treasures.

Ornate Japanese wargear is trickier to care for compared to the shining armour of European knights often displayed in castles and stately homes, as its decorative lacquer-coating becomes so fragile in dry conditions that it can break apart.

But samurai armour given to James I in 1613 as the first ever diplomatic gift from Japan to Britain has managed to survive the centuries, as the interminable British drizzle may have provided the humidity needed to preserve it.

Rachel Peat, a curator working on the Royal Collection Trust’s Japan: Courts and Culture exhibition, said: “The British weather may well have helped with that, that is at least one silver lining. It is remarkable that it has survived.”

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Remembered this ad from nowhere.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

When you're in a wheelchair and still want to cosplay...

275212421_10159994064204756_750944077983

I have to admit, I'm somewhat impressed...

• Like 4

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The term 'melty cheese' suggests the existence of 'unmelty cheese'. Being curious, I had to track that down:

Grilling, roasting and frying cheeses that can take the heat

There’s a family of semi-firm cheeses — among them, queso panela, queso fresco, paneer, halloumi, feta, cotija, ricotta and soft goat cheese — that won’t melt over direct or indirect heat in your kitchen.

Many of them are called acid-set cheeses because they are made with a combination of dairy and lemon juice, vinegar or an acid-producing bacteria. Halloumi, a Middle Eastern cheese usually made with goat and/or sheep milk, is firmed up in a hot bath of whey.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

On 3/7/2022 at 2:13 PM, Raithe said:

tolkien were the foremost expert on beowulf and is not difficult to see how beowulf inspired tolkien as he wrote lotr. the titular hero o' beowulf dies at the end o' the poem, but more significant, the champion who is facing certain doom can't beat the Ultimate Bag Guy and is most certainly gonna fail in his final quest, but in the end beowulf's loyal companion and shieldman, wiglaf, saves the day. beowulf dies victorious 'cause o' wiglaf.

obviously frodo and sam is not beowulf and wiglaf. unlike the heroic figures o' the poem, frodo and sam is the ordinary everyday englishmen who in tolkien's "fundamentally religious and catholic work," must daily fight 'gainst evil in all its forms. frodo don't defeat sea monsters or grendel, but he does have a similar heroic progression as beowulf, and in the end, the fight 'gainst evil is not achieved personal but with the help o' others. sam is not s'posed to be the real hero o' the story, but tolkien clear wanted his wiglaf to get due recognition.

kinda sympathize with tolkien; by making sam more important, many saw frodo as a failure. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

6 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

I'm sure @KP wants Blue Velvethas nothing to worry here.

Angelo_Rock_tourist_card.png

Of course not, the demon took one look at the 2020s and asked to be put back in the rock.

• Haha 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands