I apologize to everyone for my inactivity, this week was more eventful than I expected...

On 3/12/2021 at 2:27 PM, MaxQuest said:

In case you need Russian translation here it is:

Fantastic, thanks! You wouldn't happen to have the translation of "Potion of Enlightenment" as well?

On 3/10/2021 at 10:12 PM, Boeroer said:

Hm... what about giving an Empower Point periodically?

I absolutely love the idea of restoring Empower Points, but to do it through a duration-based effect might be the wrong way to do it? Maybe if each character could empower more than once per encounter (and the game was balanced around that fact), but otherwise the effect would only be useful up to a certain amount of ticks for each encounter, which I think should be avoided for an Inspiration.

As a completely separate mechanic, how would you feel about the player passively restoring an Empower Point every Xth encounter?

It feels artificial to me too.

Thus the question: if the resource regeneration would be allowed to go on (so long as there is Brilliant effect), would that be ok? Provided that we would also make changes to SoT, WoD and Shroud of Phantasm.

Cycling Spell Tiers is no doubt the best solution to nerfing Brilliant while still allowing regeneration of high-tier spells, but the question remains if that is desirable. Wizard, Druid and Priests each have many great Spells in PL3 and below, relevant all the way through late-game. Regenerating within that selection is still an extremely strong effect, and still the best Tier 3 inspiration by far. Isn't that enough?

On 3/18/2021 at 7:05 PM, lewis_cb said:

Would people like it if the potion gave a random wound as a drawback?

I really like the idea of Fatigue after the combat encounter. I have a single concern though, that this effect may add a 4th Injury and kill the drinker right after the encounter. We could use an Injury-like effect (like the Sigil Curses) or a hangover/addiction just to make sure that a player doesn't defeat a megaboss only to die from the fatigue injury? šŸ˜„ But if this is a non-issue then Fatigue would be great, so I'll add it meanwhile.

Edited by Noqn

1 hour ago, Noqn said:

As a completely separate mechanic, how would you feel about the player passively restoring an Empower Point every Xth encounter?

I like it!Ā Simple but making the resource management interesting inĀ a no-rest playthough :)Ā WouldĀ X be high like 6-10? Otherwise if it is like 3 it might be too much.Ā I see another potential issue when Berath Challenge is off and you repeatedly engage then scape within theĀ same encounter,Ā making it count as several encounters?

Not sure if you would like it, a bit of a crazy idea, but an alternative could be that once per the combat you have to achieve something extremely difficult to get itĀ (but it must also not beĀ trivializableĀ orĀ tedious). Combat games like Street Fighter comes to mind, where if you achieveĀ a difficult combo of your attacks (x2, x3...) you unlock a super power. In DeadfireĀ perhaps you would have to achieve in a quick row an enormous amount ofĀ absolute orĀ percentage-wiseĀ damage/healing or buff/debuff time (or also tank an enormous amount of damage). I said it... a bit crazy!

1 hour ago, Noqn said:

Cycling Spell Tiers is no doubt the best solution to nerfing Brilliant while still allowing regeneration of high-tier spells, but the question remains if that is desirable. Wizard, Druid and Priests each have many great Spells in PL3 and below, relevant all the way through late-game. Regenerating within that selection is still an extremely strong effect, and still the best Tier 3 inspiration by far. Isn't that enough?

I also personally like the Cycling Spell Tiers idea the most. No idea about the issue with PL3. To me 1 spell / 6s sounds reasonable if it is at a high cost (1 resource / 6s for martial classesĀ sounds bad in comparison though).

1 hour ago, Noqn said:

I really like the idea of Fatigue after the combat encounter. I have a single concern though, that this effect may add a 4th Injury and kill the drinker right after the encounter. We could use an Injury-like effect (like the Sigil Curses) or a hangover/addiction just to make sure that a player doesn't defeat a megaboss only to die from the fatigue injury? šŸ˜„ But if this is a non-issue then Fatigue would be great, so I'll add it meanwhile.

I would have expected that the drinker would be fully aware of the drawbacks and not use it if he/she has 3 injuries and has no more Adra Potions, but I agree if that happened itĀ would suck a lotĀ šŸ¤Æ!

Edited by lewis_cb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Noqn said:

I absolutely love the idea of restoring Empower Points, but to do it through a duration-based effect might be the wrong way to do it? Maybe if each character could empower more than once per encounter (and the game was balanced around that fact), but otherwise the effect would only be useful up to a certain amount of ticks for each encounter, which I think should be avoided for an Inspiration.

The cool thing about an alternative brilliant effect evolving around the empowerment system is that it might give more purpose to thisĀ underused feature (maybe it's just me playing martial classes a lot) while also being quite thematically fitting, since int inspirations increase power levels. Empowering more than once per encounterĀ might be challenging for theĀ game balance, but note that the brilliant effect, as it is right now, already breaks the game balance severly :)Ā 

• Like 1

I didn't mean that you could use empoiwer more often per encouter though (imo that's way too impactful) but simply to be able to restore Empower points so you won't have to rest in order to get them.Ā 

It's true that at some point (if you're at max Empower) it wouldn't do anything more for you. But is that so bad? I can imagine to give Brilliant +5 INT, +3 (or 2?) PL and +Empower pointsĀ so that it's always better than Acute even if Empower points are at max.Ā 

Deadfire Community Patch:Ā Nexus Mods

On 3/20/2021 at 1:57 AM, Noqn said:

I apologize to everyone for my inactivity, this week was more eventful than I expected...

No problem from my part)

I am currently not even 1/10th as active as I would want to, and miss a lot of discussions, due toĀ neck related health problems.

P.S. Potion of Englightment = (ru) Š—ŠµŠ»ŃŒŠµ ŠæрŠ¾ŃŠ²ŠµŃ‚Š»ŠµŠ½Šøя.

Edited by MaxQuest

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 11:33 AM, Elric Galad said:

Here is an infinite version of the cycling Brilliant. It required a special effect to clean up the remaining pseudo-period triggered from ticks (pseudo-perdio triggered from initial effect cleans up automatically when Brilliant is ellapsed, but not the ones triggered by the 18s ticks) :

gn.brilliant_nerf_tweak.gamedatabundle 32.94 kB Ā· 0 downloads

@Noqn

Ā 

It feels artificial to me too.

Thus the question: if the resource regeneration would be allowed to go on (so long as there is Brilliant effect), would that be ok? Provided that we would also make changes to SoT, WoD and Shroud of Phantasm.

----

Re: another Brilliant effect: I like Boeroer's idea with restoration of Empower points. But I also like resource regeneration because there are fights were it is indeed needed.

In case you need Russian translation here it is:

Ā  Reveal hidden contents

Ā 

Distilled from the dissolved brains of Vithrack Luminaries and infused with the relentless essence of an Adra Animat, this concoction fills the user with marvellous insights and inexhaustible perseverance.

Š­Ń‚Š° сŠ¼ŠµŃŃŒ, Š“ŠøстŠøŠ»Š»ŠøрŠ¾Š²Š°Š½Š½Š°Ń ŠøŠ· рŠ°ŃŃ‚Š²Š¾Ń€ŠµŠ½Š½Ń‹Ń… Š¼Š¾Š·Š³Š¾Š² Š²ŠøŠ·Ń€Š°Šŗ-Š·Š½Š°Ń‚Š¾ŠŗŠ¾Š² Šø ŠæрŠ¾ŠæŠøтŠ°Š½Š½Š°Ń Š½ŠµŃƒŃŃ‚Š°Š½Š½Š¾Š¹ эссŠµŠ½Ń†ŠøŠµŠ¹ Š°Š“рŠ¾Š²Š¾Š³Š¾ Š°Š½ŠøŠ¼Š°Ń‚Š°, Š½Š°ŠæŠ¾Š»Š½ŃŠµŃ‚ ŠæŠ¾Š»ŃŒŠ·Š¾Š²Š°Ń‚ŠµŠ»Ń уŠ“ŠøŠ²ŠøтŠµŠ»ŃŒŠ½Š¾Š¹ ŠæрŠ¾Š½ŠøцŠ°Ń‚ŠµŠ»ŃŒŠ½Š¾ŃŃ‚ŃŒŃŽ Šø Š½ŠµŠøссяŠŗŠ°ŠµŠ¼Ń‹Š¼ уŠæŠ¾Ń€ŃŃ‚Š²Š¾Š¼.

Ā 

Ā 

Maxquest, are you interested by the Cycling Brilliant (Tier 3/6/9) with no hard duration limit in my post above ?

I plan to include it in the next release of BPM, unless you want to include it in community patch (or another version of cycling brilliant with no hard limit šŸ™‚ )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I faced Dorudugan this weekend, with a quite standard party, without any cheese involved (BDD + Brilliant + SoT doesn't work with my mod anyway). Without a Cipher, with ressource-limited casters, etc.

Everybody glouped a Potion of Enlightenment.

It was satisfying to have my SC Druid casting Pollen Patch every 30s or having my Rogue able to flee after magnetic overdrive without fearing ressource depletion. Really kept all party members relevant.Ā Satisfying experience.

Dorudugan is still a hard and technical fight. ItĀ still lasts arguably for too long. But overall, it was an epic fight. What Megabosses are intended to be šŸ™‚Ā (not some sort of party forcing conundrum or slow death by attrition).

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 4