What You've Done Today - As the World Turns

Amentep

32 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Okay I need to understand something, are you saying it  wasnt like your dad would tell you to help with something because with my friends who also know DIY it was because their dads or uncles made them learn certain things?

My father died when I was 7 so I never had the opportunity to learn anything from him.

But it sounds like you had an interest in learning and you watched what people did and then you did research...is that fair? And apart from its cheaper and better to do your own repairs do you enjoy being able to fix things?

For some reason my mind just easily understands and remembers mechanical / plumbing / electrical systems. I do get satisfaction from maintaining / repairing my stuff but the primary motivation is saving money.

Sorry for all the questions but your story is interesting because it  raises  different reason for how a person learns DIY, does your family ask you to do DIY and is it something your other family members also know

Yeah my wife pretty much expects me to fix everything. But I have taught my kid how to changed brakes, change a tire, basic AC/furnace maintenance, minor electrical installation (plugs, ceiling fans, etc.)... that sort of thing. :yes:

• Like 2

Got my bonus recently, so bought a $1.50 pack of pens to gift myself.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's March.  Days are a little longer, the weather is starting to get a tad more pleasant - although we could still have some "winter weather" days - so soon I can start getting my long evening walks again.  I know, I could technically do those any time, but I like near-dusk to dusk walking, and I like dusk to not be at "rush hour" periods so it's quiet-ish.  Late spring to late fall, best walkin' time.

This felt like a slow/dreary winter. Stuck in ruts. But it's not a great time for any pleasure/change of pace travelin' either, outside of packing into the woods maybe. 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Going down to Louisiana tomorrow. Spending five days fishing at the Atchafalaya National Wildlife Refuge. I'm just ready for some warm weather. 

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It's -15 C out here, is warming up though. It is sunny out, so will go enjoy a walk in the cold as the all the wussie Torontonians can't handle this cold.  I am always perplexed at that attitude from people here, all owning expensive CG/Para/Sorel coats 😛

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I aced my ECG exam and I nailed my OSCE, which is great because it's graded, but even better is that my preceptor has started letting me do assessments and treatment.  She asks me what I did, but then signs off on it.  Basically, at one point, I'd written myself off.  Now, I feel as if I've justified my life between my work as an RN (which I still practice) and in my upcoming role as a provider.

• Like 4

"Not for the sake of much time..."

Apparently we've done so well last year that we've been given two extra vacation days, which is real nice, so since I've got a free day of (To keep my hours within an average of 39h/week) on friday, I decided to take my two extra vacation days and one regular vacation day this week.

I went to the clinic today to get the burn on my arm looked after, it's hard to properly put a bandaid on your own arm. Aparently looks good, no signs of infection, though I'm still a bit worried since it doesn't hurt or itch or anything.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Aparently looks good, no signs of infection, though I'm still a bit worried since it doesn't hurt or itch or anything.

Just grind some rosehip and rub the fine itchy hairs on your wound. Then it'll itch, and it might even get properly infected too. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Hmmm 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Heh. We've started to use the assignments list of our Teams channel to organize our, well, assignments and tasks. Teams only showed me that three people have access to the list, that was our team and the admin of our channel, so I figured I'd be safe and populated every one of my assignments with meme-style checkbox lists to go through.

Like:

1. Fix bug
  2. Inform users
  3. ???
  4. Profit!

Only to see that our, ahem, department head posted in the channel that he thought the list was a good idea. Yeah... uhm, I guess I better go and remove the memes and all the snark. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

48 minutes ago, majestic said:

Just grind some rosehip and rub the fine itchy hairs on your wound. Then it'll itch, and it might even get properly infected too. :p

Yeah... hard pass on that, I'm pretty certain that I'd put my arm to the chimney on purpose after that. :p

It's odd though, I didn't even feel anything when they wiped down the wound with water and soap.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

0A3D0D83-560F-441D-A491-A20EFA884333.jpeg

Sunset on the road to Burns point

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

52710BDE-99F6-4A42-8F0A-1272CB2F280D.jpeg

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

FFB2393A-5141-4A36-B253-9570B1570E64.jpeg

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

231D70E4-0588-44C7-BACC-60D31C220B7D.jpeg

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

67794174-5C7D-43D0-99EE-9E28935956D4.jpeg

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

Ok dude, we get it, you have a great view. 😛

7 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Ok dude, we get it, you have a great view. 😛

Pus it’s 80 degrees! Or 27 degrees depending 

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

12 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Pus it’s 80 degrees! Or 27 degrees depending 

Yep is warm today. Went out for a walk, had to dodge people though.   I have one interesting neighbour, they have a flagpole on their deck and they fly relevant flags - Canada for July 1, US for July 4, was impressed to see a Welsh flag there. Wonder how many flags they have :lol: Generally they fly the Qing Dynasty flag,  not sure if that is a statement or anything, will have to read up on that.

The house near me with the Antifa flag remains disgraceful.  I should buy them a Spanish Republican flag to spruce up the display. 

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 1

Night fishing at shell island all last night. Beautiful night, millions of stars. It got pretty chilly. Sunny was NOT happy. I made a fire by the slough and she slept so close some fur might have been singed. But I caught two Hard Head marine Catfish. One half again as long as my arm! Heading back to Burns point for some fired catfish, hot coffee and a shower. 

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

I have a project deadline which is leading me to working late hours this week and most of next week so not much time for leisure activities 

Oh well, at least I have a job....mustn't complain too much :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Dear Guard Dog:  not that I personally care about multi-posting at all, but you can post more than one pic in a post, y'know.  :shifty:  Looks like a lovely spot for a walk/whatever, tho!

In other "news" - my PC hasn't spontaneously rebooted since I changed the cooler, confirming in my mind that was the problem. Also, I really like that Noctua cooler.  I assume I didn't get the most uber version possible (D15S, it's all black!) which is fine since I don't manually OC (CPU just does that varied volt/oc on its own) but no game has gone over 55C, even cpu-intensive unity games .  BL3 sits around 43C.  If the fan starts to wear/get noisy in some years years I'll just buy a new one. I wonder how well the less tall ones would fare.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

No actually the pics were too big to put in a single post. 

Thomas Sowell

It felt like I was watching it real-time then. 😜

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man