Amentep

14 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I switched over to avocado mayo

That might be the most California thing you've ever typed on this board. :lol:

• Haha 3
  • Hmmm 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

store bought mayonnaise is kinda like store bought white bread in that it looks approximate like what it is mimicking and it functions the same, but shelf stable wonder bread, or even better varieties, still don't taste like a slice from a loaf you made yourself.

as for mayos, have had dukes and has a nice vinegar tang to it. primal is a decent avocado variety, but has a kinda unique flavor perhaps attributable to the inclusion o' rosemary extract-- mayhap you don't want your mayo to taste like pine. hellman's/best foods is... inoffensive. sir kensington's is what am likely to buy if am not willing to pull out the stick blender and just make our self, which is what we usually do. the problem with homemade is not so much the effort as it is the amount and the shelf life. one egg's worth o' mayo is usual far more mayo than we need at a given time and then we have a bit less than a week before the remainder goes bad. 

ingredients for dukes:

Soybean oil, eggs, water, distilled and cider vinegar, salt, oleoresin paprika, natural flavors, calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor. Contains: Eggs

ingredients for sir kensington's avocado oil mayo:

Avocado Oil, Organic Certified Humane Free Range Egg Yolks, Water, Distilled Vinegar, Salt, Lime Juice Concentrate, Citric Acid, Lime Oil.

ingredients for sir kensington's classic organic: 

Organic Sunflower Oil, Organic Certified Humane Free Range Egg Yolks, Water, Organic Distilled Vinegar, Salt, Fair Trade Organic Cane Sugar, Organic Lemon Juice, Citric Acid.

btw, am as likely as any to mock californian gastronomical peculiarities, however if am grabbing a neutral oil to make mayo, avocado is gonna be a far more obvious choice than would be soybean. am not a fan o' canola for mayo. peanut is a good choice and if am on a stir fry bender, then chances are we got decent peanut oil at hand. sunflower is near top o' the list. regardless, a neutral oil is what you want for your mayo and avocado is an obvious and not particular californian option.

HA! Good Fun!

ps grapeseed oil might be the most tasteless/neutral oil and and as such is a good starting place for a homemade mayo effort. peanut is decided less neutral but we like it. sue us. in fact, have frequent used some light olive oils which add flavour to a mayo, though is obvious not gonna work for everybody. regardless, we would recommend grapeseed as kinda the "best" neutral oil for mayo... with the acknowledgement grapeseed oil will add a green hue to your finished product which may be disconcerting to a few o' you. 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

40 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I switched over to avocado mayo from Primal awhile ago. Before that it was Sir Kensington. I can't even stomach typical mayo anymore.

Mayonnaise has always been gross and I don't understand why anyone uses it outside of an ingredient.

25 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

That might be the most California thing you've ever typed on this board. :lol:

I dunno, I eat a lot of avocados and I have never set foot in California.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

13 minutes ago, KP Cross Split Attack said:

I dunno, I eat a lot of avocados and I have never set foot in California.

I love avocados too, it's just a stereotype I was playing off of to make a lame joke. Listen, I live in the south, we're the butt of jokes all the time, so I'm going to needle folks from the west coast, the midwest, and especially the northeast, since I used to live there, whenever the opportunity presents itself. :p

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

27 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I love avocados too, it's just a stereotype I was playing off of to make a lame joke. Listen, I live in the south, we're the butt of jokes all the time, so I'm going to needle folks from the west coast, the midwest, and especially the northeast, since I used to live there, whenever the opportunity presents itself. :p

I live in the south too man, I just don't get the joke because how widespread avocados are where I live. In terms of food stuff the **** midwesterners and north eastern folks eat looks worse than west coast stuff. Like dumping chilli on pasta and then dumping cold cheese on top is a crime against humanity.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

the thing is, you people is actual talking 'bout avocado oil. not the same thing as avocadoes. millennial happens to be out o' avocados, so she gets avocado oil outta the pantry and drizzles over her toast?  nope. out of avocado oil for that pan seared ribeye, but got guacamole and kinda smear that on the steak before throwing it into the pan? nope.

oil+vinnegar+egg+water+lemon juice salt and possibly pepper. maybe mustard. you end up with dressing. 

*shrug*

store bought stuff messes with expectations. can be delicious. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

After 50+ years of Best Foods, my tastebuds refuse to adapt to anything else. I tried some of the avocado and olive oil based ones. Gross. They taste stale, plasticky, something weird and off. And yes I love whole avocados. EV olive oil alone is fine for use with stir frying vegies or whatever. The mayos tho? Ick. 

Not that I use a lot of mayo. Only for sandwiches or occasionally mixed with a little lemon juice as a vegie dip type thing. Oh, sometimes I put a teaspoon mixed into plate of meat and rice, stuff like that. But I no longer eat sandwiches or rice. Well, a few times a year I may indulge in a deli sandwich...hubby's the one that can't live without mayo/makes it disappear. >.>

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

13 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I would cut somebody for a plate of chili spaghetti right now. :lol:

Why? If you're going to put chilli on something with carbs, just use some fritos or doritos. And do something so the chesse actually melts on there.

59 minutes ago, KP Cross Split Attack said:

I live in the south too man, I just don't get the joke because how widespread avocados are where I live. In terms of food stuff the **** midwesterners and north eastern folks eat looks worse than west coast stuff. Like dumping chilli on pasta and then dumping cold cheese on top is a crime against humanity.

The midwest has some delicious food. Prepare to gain weight, though. :p

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

^ That is disgusting.  😬

I've never understood ambroisa salad's ... I like mandarin oranges (fresh or bottled/canned) and I like fresh pineapple (canned pineapple is gross) and grapes individually, but I don't like them covered in marshmallows, coconut or whatever else people tend to put in those.

• Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

24 minutes ago, majestic said:

Sometimes this thread be like:

That is the nastiest thing I have ever seen.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Keyrock said:

@majesticI meant to ask this earlier: How do you cook your blood sausage? I pan fry with onions.

Pretty much that, sometimes we add potatoes, i.e. pre-boil, cut into small pieces, fry a bit earlier, then add the blood sausage, or use the pan fried potatoes as side. Usually we also serve some sauerkraut with it. If you're not feeling like expending the effort, you can just nuke it in the microwave. That won't add onions, of course, but if you use a microwaveable container it won't make a mess of the oven and it comes out pretty good.

The other option is slowly heating it up in water, but that depends on the packaging, and is only worth it when you have some sausage "stock" to not mess up the taste: Just sacrifice one sausage to the gods of sausages by cutting it up and boiling it in water for a while, then use that water to slowly heat the remaining ones. That turns them back into being really creamy and soft. If you have a whole sausage, if all you have is pre-cut pieces then that's not really an option.

You can keep the water in the freezer if you feel like it, that cuts down on the sausage sacrifices. :p

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Now that I know I have a soy intolerance, I pretty much try to avoid all soybean oil products, which can be pretty difficult. Surprisingly, as a Californian as I am, I never really liked avocados. :p 

I've come to appreciate avocado oil though, and sunflower oil. I definitely need a spread for my sandwiches. I can't eat them dry. I switched to mustard for a bit, but it can be hard to find one that doesn't distract from the sandwich. 

• Gasp! 2

Poor taste buds seems like it would be a good subtitle for this thread. Americans discussing food.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

6 hours ago, majestic said:

You can keep the water in the freezer if you feel like it, that cuts down on the sausage sacrifices. :p

Are you attempting to circumvent Sausage for the Sausage God?

36 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Now that I know I have a soy intolerance, I pretty much try to avoid all soybean oil products, which can be pretty difficult. Surprisingly, as a Californian as I am, I never really liked avocados. :p 

Wow, reported for ruining expectations.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I switched to mustard for a bit, but it can be hard to find one that doesn't distract from the sandwich. 

Weird, I use mustard (with a hint of horseradish in it, no less) and find I can still taste whatever else is on the sandwich.

I only use mayo on BLTs...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I cooked delicious chicken livers with onion  for my breakfast along with bacon and eggs and toast

Livers just make everything ....better 🥓

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

• 2 weeks later...

I had fish cakes with mash for dinner. As I always say sometimes simple is best 8)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela