The New Drinking Thread

Amentep

Found a sour beer brewed in the area, Delilah Into Darkness.

The first few sips of it I kind of hated. At first all I could catch was the "dark" and my palette was confusing it for chocolate. I've been there before with chocolate  beer, I do not care for it.

But once I got a little used to it, the sour and fruit came out and it was wonderful. It's my first sour beer and it's bit heavier than ciders that I also enjoy. It's a very dark beer, I put it in my large stein and it's pitch black.

If you're in the DFW Metroplex of Texas and like sour beers or hard ciders, I strongly recommend it.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

YHSNc4d.jpeg

I'm still fairly new to Japanese whisky, this is the 3rd kind I've tried. I'd place it in the middle, above the Suntory Toki, but below the Nikka Whisky From the Barrel. It's slightly sweet and very smooth with not that much burn. It lacks character a bit, I'm not picking up any notes of fruit or nuts, maybe just the slightest hint of honey, but it is very easy drinking.

It's not a whisky that's going to leave a lasting impression on me, but it's something I could drink on any occasion and be perfectly happy sipping on it.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The company that made the sour beer I mentioned above also brews Best Maid Sour Pickle Beer. I had to try it.

It lives up to the name. If you've ever just drunk pickle brine, it's like a mild version of that. Not super salty or sour. The beer part is also pretty unoffensive and just lets the pickle flavor stand out.

The ultimate verdict is it's strange. Like drinking watered down pickle brine that tastes like it's also under 5% alcohol.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

ABK6 XO

Holy **** this is good.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

• 2 weeks later...

My new favorite 15 year old Dewar's scotch. It's delicious and good for your health*.

*Claims of health benefits have not yet been approved by the FDA

Edited by Keyrock
  • Haha 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Had no less than 4 half drunk bottles of vodka in the house* so made limoncello. Ants managed to get into the white sugar, so ended up making it with brown sugar instead. Wouldn't score highly in terms of looks, but still tastes great.

*not a fan personally, but people know I'm not so bring a bottle themselves, and they accumulate. At least I noticed one was feijoa vodka before adding it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Vodka and gin go decently with ginger ale.  Two of my favorites below.

Vodka, ginger ale, cranberry

Gin, ginger ale, blue Curacao 

Had a great sangria with ginger ale as well but I don't remember all the ingredients. I'm sure you can find some recipes online.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

2 hours ago, bugarup said:

Tried to fix a ****tail with ginger ale which I never tried before, now have ginger ale in my Top 10 of most disgusting liquids. What a vile thing. 🤮

Dark and stormy is real nice, dark rum, lime juice, topped with ginger beer, it's amazing 👌

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

14 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Gin, ginger ale...

Those two were like meant to go together... I mean, just look at the names! 😁

That being said, I'm normally not a fan of gin, but the Japanese stuff I picked up recently (Roku Gin) is great. Good enough, that I can even drink it as is in a shot glass. Something I normally only would do with my favourite rum (Black Kraken)

It's till no match for a good Cognac, but it's a good (and cheaper!!!) substitute when you feel like something on a cold and wet winter day to cheer you up. Both can be had next to a cup of warm tea.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Vodka martinis. Now planning on a margarita flight that I hope will go very well.

On 12/19/2022 at 5:21 AM, Gorth said:

Those two were like meant to go together... I mean, just look at the names! 😁

delet-this-jjba.gif

[Parody-tron 10000 engaged: THIS IS A JOKE]

On 12/19/2022 at 5:21 AM, Gorth said:

That being said, I'm normally not a fan of gin, but the Japanese stuff I picked up recently (Roku Gin) is great. Good enough, that I can even drink it as is in a shot glass. Something I normally only would do with my favourite rum (Black Kraken)

It's till no match for a good Cognac, but it's a good (and cheaper!!!) substitute when you feel like something on a cold and wet winter day to cheer you up. Both can be had next to a cup of warm tea.

I am decidedly not a fan of gin and would have to be baited into drinking it neat.

Not much is a match for a good cognac. That and whiskey are the things I almost exclusively drink neat or in an old fashioned.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

I walked into my local ABC Spirits today and saw a 1.75 L bottle of 12 year old Dewar's. I didn't even know they made 12 year old in that size. God help my liver.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Delightful Polish lager:

9XHxPfu.jpeg

I also got some Lithuanian porter that I haven't drank yet. Poland and Lithuania have a long history and were once one country, so I have a lot of love for all things Lithuanian. I'll report back when I drink it.

As an aside, my mom did one of those ancestry tests and it came back that she's 2% viking, which means I'm at least 1% viking. Now I feel justified drinking out of a horn:

eyMF0XR.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Lithuanian porter:

jhtOh3I.jpeg

It's quite tasty and not nearly as heavy as I expected. It has a really nice hint of sweetness and is relatively easy to drink.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I'm starting a new batch of mead today. The last batch was a hit with the family over Christmas, it mellowed out significantly over the month or so it sat in bottles. This time I'm switching to wine yeast instead of ale yeast in an effort to increase the ABV up to weak wine levels (9-10%). There are a bunch of wine yeast varieties and I have no experience with them so I purchased a couple that are well suited for mead according to the manufacturer:

yoBrZRJ.jpeg

I'm going to try out the K1 first. I intended to use raspberries and mint again but my local Food Lion was out of raspberries and I didn't feel like driving to another store, so this time it's blackberries and mint.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Copper Dog blended scotch whisky:

dPejBfp.jpeg

It's in the same price range as my beloved 12 year old Dewar's and thus makes for a reasonable comparison. The Copper Dog is shockingly smooth and easy drinking with virtually zero burn, it's definitely easier on the throat than the already smooth Dewar's. However, I'd say I like the flavor of Dewar's more overall. Dewar's has a nice woody flavor and hints of fruits and nuts while Copper Dog has a less pronounced bit of woody flavor with a hint of honey but not really anything else. It's sweeter than Dewar's and it's very pleasant to drink but it lacks the character Dewar's has. Still, it's quite possibly the most easy drinking whisky I've ever had and that definitely counts for something. I'm pretty sure that even those that typically drink whisky on the rocks or with water would have no problem whatsoever drinking Copper Dog neat.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

• 2 weeks later...

If we're talking non-alcoholic beverages, I made a beautiful hot chocolate the otherday with a mix of whole milk, evaporated milk, and heavy cream with 70% chocolate melted into it. Very good for a (relatively) cold night and highly recommended.

But you know what made it perfect? Bourbon.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

@ShadySandsBecause I'm a terrible person I feel it is my duty to try to knock you off the wagon. Sadly, I don't have a peaty Islay to tempt you with and will have to settle for Speyside:

P5QfqJw.jpeg

• Haha 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

1 hour ago, Space KP, Baby said:

If we're talking non-alcoholic beverages, I made a beautiful hot chocolate the otherday with a mix of whole milk, evaporated milk, and heavy cream with 70% chocolate melted into it. Very good for a (relatively) cold night and highly recommended.

But you know what made it perfect? Bourbon.

Minttu, Creme de menthe, creme de cacao and... *chefs kiss*

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

24 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Minttu, Creme de menthe, creme de cacao and... *chefs kiss*

Did you put ketchup in it?

• Haha 2