The New Drinking Thread

Amentep

On 5/3/2021 at 12:11 PM, Keyrock said:

I had hot plum sake at the sushi restaurant I went to today. It's not something I could drink all the time, but once in a while it's pretty great.

It's been ages since I've had Sake. I better remedy that 🤔

My normal poison of choice is a cheap red wine, which is an exclusive for a particular chain of supermarket owned stores. It's like $11 when on sale (that's about $8.50 USD) and lasts me over the weekend. Like Friday night dinner, Saturday night dinner and Sunday night dinner ;)

Every now and then, I like to try out something I don't know what is and get surprised. Pleasantly or the opposite. This time, my eyes fell on a bottle with a bright yellow label with a red dragon on it and the name "Fireball". A pleasant surprise, but the almost chili pepper like bite was unexpected 😂

It's a Canadian cinnamon flavoured whiskey. I only get the small (200ml or less) bottles when experimenting, but I might some day get a real sized bottle of it. I do love all things cinnamon.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Coffee would actually be the thing that stops me from trying that. I just never could get into it

On 6/6/2021 at 11:54 PM, Gorth said:

This time, my eyes fell on a bottle with a bright yellow label with a red dragon on it and the name "Fireball"

I like it with hard cider when I'm craving a hangover

As for what I've been drinking, everything. Been slowly cleaning out my liquor cabinet and I'm down to the stuff I don't like at all (tequila, mezcal, non-peaty scotch) and the stuff I like very much (peaty scotch, pricey dessert wine).

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I got a bottle of Balcones Brimstone. It's strong and very smokey, so I think it'll go well with some amaretto and bitters.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

• 2 weeks later...

Ardberg 10 year.

I think my first experience with Scotch was some blended **** that tasted like gasoline. This is different, very smoky but very smooth. Very pleasant and didn't break my bank.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

I never touch the stuff anymore. But I still like reading about it. The Best New Whiskeys to Seek Out This November (Including Holiday Releases!)

That Garrison Brothers Cowboy Whiskey does sound intriguing. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm home for a couple days so I took a ride just across the border to Fort Mill SC and hit up Frugal MacDoogal's for some early X-Mas shopping:

myVP6Qu.jpeg

The Laphroaig isn't for anyone in particular, I'm just bringing it so everyone can try it. I can almost guarantee my mom (if she even tries it) & my sister (she'll try it) will hate it, I don't know if my dad will like it... I don't know if I like it and I've had it before. It's such a distinctive flavor (I call it "drinking a campfire") that every drinker should try it at least once.

The Campari is for mom, the Camarena for sis, and the Suntory Toki isn't for X-Mas. This will be the second Japanese whisky I've tried; I'll have some tonight while watching AEW Rampage. I'll report back if it's any good.

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm having a bit of the Suntory Toki a bit before Rampage airs. It's very easy drinking and very mellow, I would compare it to a scotch most closely rather than bourbon, Irish whisky, etc. I took my first sip neat before adding my customary tiny splash of water and even straight up there was almost no burn, despite being 43% alcohol, so a wee bit stronger than typical. I'm not getting any hint of rice like I did with the Nikka From the Barrel I had last year. In fact, there really isn't anything very distinctive about the flavor. That sort of comes with the territory with a blend; if you want a distinctive flavor you should generally go for a single malt. Still, Dewar's 12 year old has more character to it and I would rate that as well as Chivas Regal ahead of this in terms of blended scotch whisky. There's nothing wrong with it, though. If you are looking for a very smooth, mellow, and easy drinking whisky this fits the bill nicely.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Method and Madness Single Pot Still

It's sweet but has a very big kick at the beginning. I'd say that the initial taste can almost get overpowered by the alcohol for the first few sips, but it mellows into a very nice finish. It's almost like an inversion of the Ardbeg, which starts smooth and has a slower burn. I'd recommend it if you're a fan of Irish whiskey and have the money to spare.

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

I'm having a bit of the Suntory Toki a bit before Rampage airs. It's very easy drinking and very mellow, I would compare it to a scotch most closely rather than bourbon, Irish whisky, etc. I took my first sip neat before adding my customary tiny splash of water and even straight up there was almost no burn, despite being 43% alcohol, so a wee bit stronger than typical. I'm not getting any hint of rice like I did with the Nikka From the Barrel I had last year. In fact, there really isn't anything very distinctive about the flavor. That sort of comes with the territory with a blend; if you want a distinctive flavor you should generally go for a single malt. Still, Dewar's 12 year old has more character to it and I would rate that as well as Chivas Regal ahead of this in terms of blended scotch whisky. There's nothing wrong with it, though. If you are looking for a very smooth, mellow, and easy drinking whisky this fits the bill nicely.

I almost got that the other day. I think I'll go for a single malt or something for Japanese Whiskey, most blends have been disappointing for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

WhistlePig 10 year Rye Whiskey.

I like it. It's very smooth but there is a small burst of heat and an almost grainy issue (though that could be a result of the microgreens I ate).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Still Austin Cask Strength Bourbon

This is a little weird, because it's actually smoother than the straight bourbon despite clocking in at 20 proof higher at 118. It's very good though, like damn good. I'd recommend it if you can find it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been a couple of years since I last had a sip of bourbon. I haven't really missed it but things going the way they have been lately.... getting sorely tempted!

• Gasp! 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I keep forgetting I want a full sized bottle of the Canadian Fireball Whisky some day (I bought one of those "miniature" bottles once to try it). I just love cinnamon! 🥺

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Gimlets. I'm not hungover so I guess I was responsible.

I revisited Pepsi Nitro once I got my hands on the non-vanilla version. This one is much better and less sweet. It's still diabetes inducing but tastes more like Pepsi. 

I also bought a bottle of Lagavulin 8 year. I was so close to springing for the 16 year but I swear it's about 40 bucks more than I remember it being.

Free games updated 3/4/21