Radeon Thread

Zoraptor

I was playing C2077 when my Vega64 broke. Didn't fancy playing it on a 580 for some reason and ended up uninstalling it since I needed the space. I'll go back to it when I've picked up Phantom Liberty, which isn't on sale.

Metro Exodus will be the first demanding game I use in on most likely.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, got anyone experience with undervolting? I got 6900XT and when playing Assetto Corsa Competizione, it sometimes turns off my PC. I am 100% sure, that the GPU is not overheating, and my 850W PSU should be powerful enough to handle my PC. I found some advice on the web, that undervolting might help is, but I have never tried it. The Adrenalin software has an option to Auto Undervolt the GPU. Will this not damage the card?

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

1 hour ago, Mamoulian War said:

my 850W PSU should be powerful enough to handle my PC

An OC model RX 6900 XT is certainly capable of overwhelming an 850W power supply with transient power spikes, depending on the quality, age of the power supply and remaining system power draw.

52 minutes ago, Mamoulian War said:

Will this not damage the card?

No, it will not. All modern cards have a voltage/frequency curve anyway and reduce voltage automatically while idle or under light loads. It can lead to crashing if you undervolt too much, but I would suppose that an automated undervolt function guesses safe limits based on metrics from the card, but it is best to make sure the card is stable by running something like 3DMark's Port Royale test for a while. Especially if you want to manually fine tune at some later date.

Obligatory shade-throwing:

Spoiler

Well, it is AMD software, so who knows what auto-undervolting does, but if you worried that it will make your card explode, then no, it will not do that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I have Corsair HX 850 in usage from summer 2021. My first issues started after update of ACC to 1.9.0 in previous update it worked fine, no crash. And I do not have OC 9600XT, I had it on default setting since beginning (summer 2021).

The first test in ACC was OK for now. We'll see how it will go next few days.

AMD's minimum recommendation for the 6900 XT seems to actually be literally exactly 850W, but it'll obviously depend on the rest of your system specs and the health of your PSU. I think my $2000 worth of HDDs adds probably somewhere around 150-200W to my system power draw, but the $100 GPU I have because computers graphics are a scam makes it not much of a concern for my particular system.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

AMD's (and nVidia's) PSU recs are pretty conservative since they have no idea whether someone has a reputable 850W Corsair or a disreputable 850W ExplodeMAXX one, nor what the other specs and draws are. Corsair's a good brand and HX Platinum ought to be rock solid- most psu tier lists have it as top bracket last time I checked. While you can't preclude being unlucky it seems unlikely that the PSU is the issue.

To put it in perspective my PSU EVGA G2 is 150W below the recommended wattage for a 7800XT Pulse and is 6+ years old, and has had no issues. Indeed, it had no issues with a Vega64 with a 750W rec either.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

AMD's (and nVidia's) PSU recs are pretty conservative since they have no idea whether someone has a reputable 850W Corsair or a disreputable 850W ExplodeMAXX one, nor what the other specs and draws are. Corsair's a good brand and HX Platinum ought to be rock solid- most psu tier lists have it as top bracket last time I checked. While you can't preclude being unlucky it seems unlikely that the PSU is the issue.

To put it in perspective my PSU EVGA G2 is 150W below the recommended wattage for a 7800XT Pulse and is 6+ years old, and has had no issues. Indeed, it had no issues with a Vega64 with a 750W rec either.

Yeah, I kind of assume they set their recommendations around not wanting to spectacularly burn down end users' Raidmax-powered computers...even though end users who use Raidmax PSUs probably deserve to have their computers spectacularly burn down for cheaping out so much on their PSUs, the single item responsible for making sure your computer doesn't spectacularly burn down.

Still, the fact that the system is suddenly folding when under load does at least suggest a possibility of power issues, even with a good PSU. I don't know that it would be my first suspect necessarily...I'd like to at least get a look at Windows' event log to see if it says anything useful - it happens every once in a while.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, I kind of assume they set their recommendations around not wanting to spectacularly burn down end users' Raidmax-powered computers...even though end users who use Raidmax PSUs probably deserve to have their computers spectacularly burn down for cheaping out so much on their PSUs, the single item responsible for making sure your computer doesn't spectacularly burn down.

Still, the fact that the system is suddenly folding when under load does at least suggest a possibility of power issues, even with a good PSU. I don't know that it would be my first suspect necessarily...I'd like to at least get a look at Windows' event log to see if it says anything useful - it happens every once in a while.

Unfortunately, I have in event log/system only this entry regarding the crash 😮‍💨:

The previous system shutdown at 8:47:33 PM on ‎2/‎9/‎2024 was unexpected.

• Gasp! 1

On 2/10/2024 at 1:34 AM, Zoraptor said:

My 750W EVGA psu handled my Vega 64 fine, still does fine with my 3080, but my Vega 64 popped my fathers 1000W noname PSU as soon as he booted up Euro Truck Simulator 2. He was f'n furious at me, despite me warning him 😄

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I would have to say that the one no name ('Macron', I think) PSU I've personally used actually did ok. It died in a puff of blue smoke eventually, but in circumstances where you might expect even a reputable brand to do similar (incorrect voltage supplied from the plug) and without taking any other component with it.

4 hours ago, Azdeus said:

My 750W EVGA psu handled my Vega 64 fine, still does fine with my 3080, but my Vega 64 popped my fathers 1000W noname PSU as soon as he booted up Euro Truck Simulator 2. He was f'n furious at me, despite me warning him 😄

If the rest of his PC didn't fry with the PSU, then he should've considered himself pretty lucky. Though replacing a PSU is a pain in the butt to be sure...

29 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

I would have to say that the one no name ('Macron', I think) PSU I've personally used actually did ok. It died in a puff of blue smoke eventually, but in circumstances where you might expect even a reputable brand to do similar (incorrect voltage supplied from the plug) and without taking any other component with it.

I have a friend who used an ancient no-name PSU for a little under ten years. She didn't really know any better and figured that since it still worked, she might as well just keep using it even through building a new PC (or rather, frankensteining various parts into an old one). I once did a look-up of the model name and the little information that came up about it suggested it had zero standard safety features and would eventually blow up and fry her whole PC, so I ended up giving her one of my old ones and she's still using it to this day. Maybe the one that she had would've kept working just fine, maybe it wouldn't have...all's well that ends well, I suppose.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Yeah, I'd never advocate for skimping on the PSU, indeed I'd consider it the one component where you should never skimp on reliability at least, I do wish I'd paid the few dollars extra for 750W over 550W though as the added flexibility would have been good. I knew perfectly well that that Macron PSU was garbage* and never taxed it even slightly (probably max of 1/3 of the on the box load).

*apparently, having looked it up, I was... completely wrong. While it's an old and inefficient design it's actually very reliable. Looks like I owe Macron an apology.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Gasp! 1

9 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

If the rest of his PC didn't fry with the PSU, then he should've considered himself pretty lucky. Though replacing a PSU is a pain in the butt to be sure...

I have a friend who used an ancient no-name PSU for a little under ten years. She didn't really know any better and figured that since it still worked, she might as well just keep using it even through building a new PC (or rather, frankensteining various parts into an old one). I once did a look-up of the model name and the little information that came up about it suggested it had zero standard safety features and would eventually blow up and fry her whole PC, so I ended up giving her one of my old ones and she's still using it to this day. Maybe the one that she had would've kept working just fine, maybe it wouldn't have...all's well that ends well, I suppose.

Yeah, I'm not sure if my gpu actually survived, but atleast the rest of his pc is alive. He didn't have much of a choice in what psu to get when he bought it, all the reputable ones were sold out or horribly overpriced, overspecced or fanless. 

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken