Radeon Thread

Zoraptor

I don't know why they'd regret it, they probably use dies that would go to the recycler otherwise, and AMD still gets their money.

The 6700/10GB was the 'budget'* card I seriously considered getting when my V64 packed up (XFX version though, not sapphire).

*Still more than twice what I paid for a 5770, and 50% more than I paid for the 580 I'm using now so air quotes very much deserved.

Decided that this gen's actual mid tier cards are likely to be crap, so picked up a 6750XT for cheap.

So it's now guaranteed that the 7700/7800XT will be the apex of efficiency, value for money and computing power.

• Haha 3
  • Gasp! 1

It's attached via small screws through plastic eyelets and the eyelets are all broken, so it will need a replacement. Looks most likely that the screws were overtightened during assembly since the box and card are otherwise pristine.

Update: refunded, no issues. No replacement option due to there being basically no 6750s left in New Zealand and no plans to import more prior to the release of 7700/7800.

On 5/30/2023 at 9:47 AM, Zoraptor said:

So it's now guaranteed that the 7700/7800XT will be the apex of efficiency, value for money and computing power.

God does not play dice- but xe does play Uno and just loves the Reverse card.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

Well, one thing's for sure, they're not going to be the apex of efficiency or computing power. They're most likely going to be better value than the RTX 4060 Ti and RTX 4070, but good value? Eh. :shrugz:

What did you pay for the 6750 XT?

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

6 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

330USD equivalent. Not really good value in absolute terms, but 25% under what they were selling for a couple of months ago so a decent end of line discount.

They're like 450€ here. 600+ not long too ago. Sure, € price includes VAT, but still...

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I grabbed the XTX on a prime day deal. Hope it doesn't suck

It should be a 4K powerhouse. Hopefully it delivers for your needs. 

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

22 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I grabbed the XTX on a prime day deal. Hope it doesn't suck

If you have more than one 4K display, then it does. Suck your power, that is. AMD's latest "fix" to the idle power draw issue made it worse by 10%. Some things will never change. Should be fine with a single monitor setup nowadays though. But don't worry, actually lowered idle power draw, FSR 3.0 and HYPR-RX are just around the corner. Like Star Citizen, or Half Life 3. *snark*

Other than that, the XTX is an RTX 4080 with more rasterization but less raytracing performance - for cheaper. Can't really go wrong with it, unless you have an AMD allergy like I do. :p

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Tech-YT-Space is all up in arms over how awesome the RX 7800 XT is going to be for it's launch MSRP of 500$.

Maybe it's just my bias, but I'm not seeing it. The 7800 XT has 14% less compute units than the almost equally priced RX 6800 XT, and the general uplift in 1:1 CU configurations of RDNA3 is pretty bad when you compare the 7600 to the 6650 XT.

So, basically, that leaves the 7800 XT in the same performance ballpark as the RTX 3080, the RX 6800 XT and the RTX 4070. Removing our VAT, street pricing for the RTX 4070 is roughly at 500€, and at 450€ for the RX 6800 XT. Factoring in € to $ conversion rates that makes the 7800 XT look like even worse of a deal.

Never mind street pricing in the US having RX 6950s showing up at 550$ here and there. Not seeing anything to get excited about.

Comparing the uplift from 7600/ 6650 is misleading in this case though. 7700/ 7800xt have a proper node improvement (-->5nm) to take into account, 7600 is still 7nm. Or at least, what we would have called 7nm+ a few years ago before every node improvement needed a new number for marketing. While 7-->5 wasn't the greatest node improvement in the history of the world it was still decent.

Launch pricing very much looks like a 7900XT/X situation with the weaker card being priced to make the stronger look better rather than on its own merits.

On 8/26/2023 at 4:31 AM, Zoraptor said:

Comparing the uplift from 7600/ 6650 is misleading in this case though. 7700/ 7800xt have a proper node improvement (-->5nm) to take into account, 7600 is still 7nm. Or at least, what we would have called 7nm+ a few years ago before every node improvement needed a new number for marketing. While 7-->5 wasn't the greatest node improvement in the history of the world it was still decent.

Launch pricing very much looks like a 7900XT/X situation with the weaker card being priced to make the stronger look better rather than on its own merits.

Maybe, but the 7900 GRE isn't performing so great compared to other 80 CU RDNA2 GPUs either, although the GRE has severely limited clock speeds and makes for a poor 1:1 comparison too. Agree that the 7700 XT is nothing but an upsell for the 7800 XT. Anyway, not expecting too much from the 7800 XT. Certainly nothing that will make nVidia cut prices, although there are rumors that the 7700 XT already caused nVidia to authorize RTX 4060 Ti price cuts. But, just rumors. Could also be just a side effect of nobody wanting that card. At least, I hope nobody bought 4060 TIs. :p

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

A halfway decent value (relative to the market)? That's unpossible!

Relative to the market being the operative word here. Next to a 600$ RTX 4070, it does look good. Next to a 500$ RTX 4060 TI 16 GB it looks like a god tier card. Next to what you'd think you would get out of 500$ hardware, it is disappointing. The RX 6800 XT outperforms it at times, which is - as Steve said multiple times in the video - super embarrassing.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

As always with this gen the issue is the price inflation and associated naming scheme stupidities. Comparing like to like the '7800'xt is a pretty decent improvement over its actual equivalent, in the 6700xt. Trying to sell them for the same price you could get a 6950xt for a few months ago though, as here? Taking the absolute mick.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Keyrock said:

@majesticnever misses an opportunity to throw shade at Team Red. I appreciate that kind of hustle.

It's not just Team Red. I also never miss an opportunity to kill @Hurlshot's buzz, for instance. Speaking of which, Starfield would have been a decent launch title for FSR 3, that game really could do with some better upscaling and plenty of older builds out there that would really benefit from frame generation fluid motion frames. On the other hand, well, I can't fault AMD for not trusting Bethesda with some new tech that needs a good launch.

In Radeon related news, Scott Herkelman quit.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Doubt anyone here plays Counter Strike 2 (I certainly don't), but if you do, do not turn on Anti-Lag+, it will be detected as cheating attempt by Valve and you will potentially be banned from the game.

Actually, migth do well to not turn it on in any competitive online title until the issue is resolved.

Edited by majestic

• 1 month later...

Picked up a 7800XT on Cyber Monday. Well, Black Friday, but bought on Monday so I can pretend I got a super deal to reward my patience. Opening it to find the shroud wasn't broken a definite plus.

It's actually smaller than the 580 that it's replacing, guess that's Strix vs Pulse more than anything. Now to put it through its paces by playing, hmm, EUIV and the Colony Ship RPG?

• Like 2

Can always get Cyberpunk for some eye candy. 's 50% off on GOG. Caveat: Have not paid any attention to the gaming threads in a long while, so if you have it already, ignore the post. :p