Was KotOR too easy?

Was the combat and overall character growth too easy in KotOR?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Was the combat and overall character growth too easy in KotOR?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

Okay, MGnails my supervisor on the AE mod are having a disagreement and saying that most everyone thought KotOR provided a good challenge. I'm telling him that I've seen many, many posts that say otherwise; but because I don't have time to dig them up, he's saying he doubts that they're there.

So, answer it once and for all, was KotOR too easy? <_<

I'm guilty of voting Don't care... ;)

They could remove more of the combat of they wanted to, it was just a tedious distraction from the story and the game.

No bonus points for guessing like I like roleplaying better than combat games (unless of course, you consider Kill Bill style combat games as roleplaying :p )

As long as it comes with a combat difficulty slider where I can adjust combat to suit my casual attitutde towards combat, I'm perfectly fine.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm guilty of voting Don't care... ;)

They could remove more of the combat of they wanted to, it was just a tedious distraction from the story and the game.

No bonus points for guessing like I like roleplaying better than combat games (unless of course, you consider Kill Bill style combat games as roleplaying :p )

As long as it comes with a combat difficulty slider where I can adjust combat to suit my casual attitutde towards combat, I'm perfectly fine.

Yes, but the combat is a part of the roleplaying. Am I alone in the fact that I want to have to choose between one option or another, and inherently make my character weak in one category, but strong in another? KotOR did this yes, but in the end it made no difference because you were so powerful anyway.

The only way I found a challenge in Malak with combat set to hard, was using blasters and no forcepowers. <_<

Combat was probably on the easy side (most of the combats, with a few exceptions).

Problem was that you levelled up too fast and too high in the game. <_>

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I thought it was too easy on the regular game setting but I turned up the difficulty and it presented somewhat of a challenge for me. But overall I think it was much too easy.

Okay. Well, aside from the question at hand in this poll...would it be a good or a bad thing to have a ratio of 2/1 Jedi in the party? I think it would make it even easier, and be stupid. But I'm just me. Also, would it be cool for Mission to become a Jedi at nineteen, or should she just be a force adept type character? Thanks for all the input guys. ;)

I think that you should only have one character in your party that is a jedi otherwise like I ended up doing was not using any of my other characters except for the jedi and I would kill everyone without a problem, but if you made all the other characters non-jedi and made them all basically equal in performance I might use some different characters.

I thought it was too easy on the regular game setting but I turned up the difficulty and it presented somewhat of a challenge for me.  But overall I think it was much too easy.

Okay. Well, aside from the question at hand in this poll...would it be a good or a bad thing to have a ratio of 2/1 Jedi in the party? I think it would make it even easier, and be stupid. But I'm just me. Also, would it be cool for Mission to become a Jedi at nineteen, or should she just be a force adept type character? Thanks for all the input guys. ;)

Force Adept would be pretty cool for Mission. But given that she's probably been surrounded by Jedi at some point or another, there's no real justification to make her a Force Adept. Force Adept implies either she couldn't get the training, and so she's teaching herself, or that she's learning some non-Jedi Force tradition. If you can justify either, go for it.

combat was easy I always used a fully upgraded hk-47 duel wielding pistols and canderous with all extra stats points in strength with all the best strength boosting gear duel wielding vibro blades, and me a dark side 2/18 consular with 22 wis at end game.

It was too easy, even with less than optimal builds. Add the fact theat Bioware had to cheese there way to make some areas difficult (which they failed in doing) proves that they just can't make a difficult game any more. Bioware lost their edge or maybe its the engine/AI itself.

Definitely went through the whole game on hard without breaking a sweat.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

Playing as a Soldier/Guardian, it was too easy. Playing as a Scoundrel/Consular, it was too easy. Playing as a Scout/Consular, it was too easy.

Those are the only combinations I've played. It felt like Baby's First RPG when it came to the combat.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Yes, the game was easy - there were only 3-4 more difficult fights. But don't forget that making hard-fight game is tricky - it is NOT making mechanically high vitality/damage opponents, because in this way the game will be infinite boring reload exercise. The trick is to make the fight difficult from tactical point of view. But this requires both clever AI and good design - I doubt if Obsidian will make it.

Nik.

The trick is to make the fight difficult from tactical point of view. But this requires both clever AI and good design - I doubt if Obsidian will make it.

Would probably be an ungrateful task with the engine they have at the moment. Enemies line up to the left, friends to the right, there you go, start hacking and slashing at each other. While having other limitations, isometric 3D actually offers a better tactical view for games, where you can expand your one dimensional combat into two dimensional combat by having "depth" and manouvres (spelling?) as part of your tactical options.

The trick is to make the fight difficult from tactical point of view. But this requires both clever AI and good design - I doubt if Obsidian will make it.

Would probably be an ungrateful task with the engine they have at the moment. Enemies line up to the left, friends to the right, there you go, start hacking and slashing at each other. While having other limitations, isometric 3D actually offers a better tactical view for games, where you can expand your one dimensional combat into two dimensional combat by having "depth" and manouvres (spelling?) as part of your tactical options.

Is Isometrical 3D like Dungeon seige where you can take an above view and zoom in or out to see your characters up close? I found that one well designed from an ease of management of your party point of view. It could have stood to have more choices when it came to character stats though, rather than just having whatever weapon/spells you use automatically level up depending on how much you use them. <_<

KOTOR was designed be cinematic. With that comes certain things.

Some of the changes people want just aren't condusive to this engine. I'd really like to see the community rally behind a good mod to Morrowind or Dungeon Siege making a Star Wars RPG.

In a word: Yes.

Way, way, way too easy a game. It was too easy because:

Force powers are completely whacked (Force Wave especially).

There was never any really significant opposition.

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*

i used hk47 double-wielding jolee and juhani who were both double-wielding double lightsabers, with t3 mainly stainy around as a backup, beeping and irritating the heck out of opponents.

frankly, i cared more for the story.

but yes, combat was too darn easy because you didn't need a special tactic for anyone. my tactic was: grab lightsaber - use force wave - beat crap outta opponent

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

I found the game to be really easy.

That said, it's not right to use a small minority of possters (1000 tops across the internet on the subject) to consider their opinion the amjority either way. That's just silly.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.