Jump to content

AVOWED - Obsidian's Skyrim clone set in the Pillars of Eternity setting


Recommended Posts

I agree open worlds often have a problem with "why am I doing this side quest?". New Vegas did this the best because there was no real reason for you to care beyond revenge... You were able to fill in the lines of what your motivation was.

 

I hope you aren't "the chosen one" not game ruining just such a cliche at this point.  I prefer starting out as a nobody. 

 

Fall of woedica could be interesting .. that's far enough back for me.  Problem with prequels is that it's hard to have any surprises.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Achilles said:

Kingdom Come Deliverance was also pretty good, but they were also going for hyper-realism there.

That's one of the games I didnt' get around to, yet, though it's sitting in my library. I hear it had performance issues, so I am worried I won't be able to run it. But then again, I seem to be able to run far more, then I think I can.

 

1 hour ago, Theonlygarby said:

What's everyone thinking as far as pre POE or post POE?  I guess the obvious answer would be pre.  Though we really have no idea anything other than its based in eora.

My guess would be pre... It is not called PoE3, so I would be surprised if they would continue PoE2 storyline in Avowed. 

The vibe I get is that Woedica is still very much in power. I would love to see Eora when Titans were roaming the earth, though I don't expect it to go that far.

EDIT: Perhaps, it is the story of her fall? Seems like we are dedicated to Woedica and other gods making an aggressive take over might be a good excuse for us to have lots of things to fight against. It might also fit the narration... and if popular, it might Act as a good lead up to PoE1.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, draego said:

I mean i just find story in open worlds so weak, even Deadfire had this issue with main story but there were lots of other stories to keep my interest but it sours me on open world experiences when the main story is so weak and i get it bethseda games are about exploration but that for me at least is not a priority i would rather some interesting choices and stuff that affects the world and also an interesting main story. its usually hard to do that in open world settings though so not sure where Avowed will go but its Obsidian so im always optimistic hehe

We might be close to saying the same thing here. I thought the story in Skyrim was actually pretty good...except for the Thieve's Guild distraction and the College of Winterhold distraction and the daedra distractions, etc.

I don't mind open world gameplay, per se. I do mind trying to cater to 50 different experiences and then not really coming through on any of them as a result.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

Josh Sawyer says he is not working on Avowed at all....  What is he working on!?  I'm so confused...  Is there another game in development?

 

I'd be very happy if we were getting POE3 as well as avowed 

Project Missouri. He posted some hints about this sometime last year. It's a much smaller project with about 5 or 6 staff members working on it (or so I've heard).

Hate the living, love the dead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Flouride said:

Project Missouri. He posted some hints about this sometime last year. It's a much smaller project with about 5 or 6 staff members working on it (or so I've heard).

wonder if its a tactics game or historical or both he seems to be into those types of games or talks about wanted to make games like that but i do remember him somewhere saying he was working on game with no combat. not sure if it was somethingawful forums on twitter but i feel like i heard that somewhere from josh about what he was working on so game could be a surprise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I once tweeted that I thought a first person RPG set in the Pillar's universe would go down very well. I guess now we'll see.

That being said, what is with the sudden aversion to Third Person Perspective in RPGs these days? While I do prefer to play RPGs mainly in First Person, I do like to switch to third person during longer hikes and to check out my character's looks when I change up my armour. I also feel for those who get motion sickness, as my sister suffers with it terribly and it put an end to many a fun gaming session back in the day.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Theonlygarby said:

Fall of woedica could be interesting .. that's far enough back for me.  Problem with prequels is that it's hard to have any surprises.

It's interesting you say that. I think that when it's done well, there's an opportunity to create a delicious tension from the gap between what the player knows and what the characters do not.

I will say that if they try to bring Thaos back with a different voice actor again, I'm going to pretty disappointed.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UrbaNebula said:

I once tweeted that I thought a first person RPG set in the Pillar's universe would go down very well. I guess now we'll see.

That being said, what is with the sudden aversion to Third Person Perspective in RPGs these days? While I do prefer to play RPGs mainly in First Person, I do like to switch to third person during longer hikes and to check out my character's looks when I change up my armour. I also feel for those who get motion sickness, as my sister suffers with it terribly and it put an end to many a fun gaming session back in the day.

First person messes me up for the first few hours. Normally I can sleep it off and then be ok when starting a new game.

The argument, as I understand it, is that third person eats up a lot of development resources that might be better invested elsewhere (think combat animation, etc). I guess I'm sensitive to that, but I'm not sure I like it.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

That's one of the games I didnt' get around to, yet, though it's sitting in my library. I hear it had performance issues, so I am worried I won't be able to run it. But then again, I seem to be able to run far more, then I think I can.

It's not for everyone. The realism is a severe turn-off for a lot of people

For example, your character can't read. If you find a book, the contents are complete gibberish. Later on, you can pick up an optional side quest to learn how to read, but it takes about a week (game time) to complete, and you're still not great at it when it's over. Also, a lot of dialog responses that feel like "good" options in modern rpgs will get you berated and threatened...because the game takes place in medieval europe when a completely different set of norms existed.

  • Thanks 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are you posting FAKE NEWS? That is not what I posted. Don't act like Trump and spread lies.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Excited that Obsidian is making a new RPG, and in the PoE universe, but not a fan of 1st person, especially for a fantasy RPG. I sincerely hope they add a 3rd person perspective, otherwise I likely won't be playing it. Hopefully they give us some clarity one way or another sometime in the near future. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Achilles said:

It's not for everyone. The realism is a severe turn-off for a lot of people

  Reveal hidden contents

For example, your character can't read. If you find a book, the contents are complete gibberish. Later on, you can pick up an optional side quest to learn how to read, but it takes about a week (game time) to complete, and you're still not great at it when it's over. Also, a lot of dialog responses that feel like "good" options in modern rpgs will get you berated and threatened...because the game takes place in medieval europe when a completely different set of norms existed.

 

That all sounds great, at least on paper. Looking at specs it seems a bit high for me, but I might give it a go once I finally deal with Pathfinder and see how it runs. 

Edited by Wormerine
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of a game in the time of Woedica's rise and fall. A few weeks ago in another thread I mused that this game could be in the time of the Engwithans. So a prequel is fine with me if it is sufficiently far back from PoE1. And that also means no cameos from PoE1/2 characters, which would be a good thing imho. Leave those cameos for PoE3 I say.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pillars-3d!!! So cool Obsidian deepens Eora-lore with different type of game. Still hope they will make old school rpg in The future too. Outer Worlds was quite disapointment, hopefully this will be much better. And most important thing of them all, they won't repeat the most unforgivable mistake you can make with rpgs...that you can hit the exp level cap in the middle of the game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kanisatha said:

I like the idea of a game in the time of Woedica's rise and fall. A few weeks ago in another thread I mused that this game could be in the time of the Engwithans. So a prequel is fine with me if it is sufficiently far back from PoE1. And that also means no cameos from PoE1/2 characters, which would be a good thing imho. Leave those cameos for PoE3 I say.

I agree.  I mean... I'll play it either way but I want it to be as detached from POE as possible.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It does look like we'll be going back in time, which is probably to keep the game high fantasy: "oblivion with flintlocks" would be entertaining, but I can see why they'd want to stick to something more traditional; just too bad for my own preferences.

And if it is set around Woedica's fall, which fits with a weakened Aedyr, seemingly lower tech advancement and the various oathy references, it makes for a good, viable spinoff from Early-Modern Eora: Far enough back that knowledge of PoE 1&2 isn't necessary for new players, while still a period that players of the previous games have just enough information on to pique our interest. Not to mention furthering the metaplot of "god shenanigans screwed things up, and now we have to find a way to solve it ourselves".

I also doubt they'll risk losing a large chunk of customers by not implementing a third-person mode: it's a no-brainer if you have the funding for it, which MS'll probably provide.

Edited by Taevyr
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

I agree open worlds often have a problem with "why am I doing this side quest?". New Vegas did this the best because there was no real reason for you to care beyond revenge... You were able to fill in the lines of what your motivation was.

 

I hope you aren't "the chosen one" not game ruining just such a cliche at this point.  I prefer starting out as a nobody. 

 

Fall of woedica could be interesting .. that's far enough back for me.  Problem with prequels is that it's hard to have any surprises.

I agree, I wouldn't care if the character ends up filling the chosen one archetype, but best avoided. I would still like to be a watcher though.

"People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" ~Wynne, Dragon age Origins

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, draego said:

wonder if its a tactics game or historical or both he seems to be into those types of games or talks about wanted to make games like that but i do remember him somewhere saying he was working on game with no combat. not sure if it was somethingawful forums on twitter but i feel like i heard that somewhere from josh about what he was working on so game could be a surprise. 

I don't recall the "no combat" comment, but reading between the lines of his twitter feed for the last 6 months or so, I very much suspect that he's working on the alt-history Darklands spiritual successor that he's mentioned a number of times. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pillars of Skyrim? Well I'll be! All aboard the hype train, choo-choo🚂

I hope we can play as an orlan and get a shorter camera point.

Hope it's more of an rpg than that previous game. Either way, it will probably be a good game for a filthy popamole casual like me, but I doubt it will be as good as Wiz8.

Hmm, wonder how well the dungeon crawling will be; I mean it won't be Daggerfall, but it would be nice if it was close to Morrowind. There, that's a big wish.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NocturnalTrance said:

I agree, I wouldn't care if the character ends up filling the chosen one archetype, but best avoided. I would still like to be a watcher though.

I was thinking about how they will do the watcher, and also the ciphers.  I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it turns out you are technically the same watcher... just a long time ago... as in, the same soul.  I doubt there will be class bases... but hopefully there are way more RPG elements than skyrim.  Are soft classes a thing?  Having a level cap is important to RPGs so maybe its a situation where you dont have enough points to do everything well. I always laugh when i see "skyrim builds".  Because never in that game did I need to think about how i was building my character.  Also I'm awful at character building, so that says a lot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Theonlygarby said:

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it turns out you are technically the same watcher... just a long time ago... as in, the same soul. 

This sounds so cool!! I hope that's the case, considering how the watcher has been tied to Woedica many lives before.

I will be happy with a soft class system, where you are able to hone in on a playstyle but still grab some useful attributes outside of it here and there. I still would love to see the variety of spellcasting classes PoE has present. Honestly if not, I hope there enough mod support for us to add ourselves.

  • Like 1

"People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" ~Wynne, Dragon age Origins

Link to post
Share on other sites

About classes: it worked for Arena, Neverwinter Nights, Amulets & Armor, Hillsfar, Eschalon, Divine Divinity, Stone Soup, etc. All those have the player with direct control of a single character. Although some are less strict than others.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NocturnalTrance said:

This sounds so cool!! I hope that's the case, considering how the watcher has been tied to Woedica many lives before.

I will be happy with a soft class system, where you are able to hone in on a playstyle but still grab some useful attributes outside of it here and there. I still would love to see the variety of spellcasting classes PoE has present. Honestly if not, I hope there enough mod support for us to add ourselves.

I think unreal engine games are hard to mod... but i dont acutally know if thats true, just what it seems like.  If you can have companions, maybe there will be classes.  In the end i just hope its good.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Taevyr said:

It does look like we'll be going back in time, which is probably to keep the game high fantasy: "oblivion with flintlocks" would be entertaining, but I can see why they'd want to stick to something more traditional; just too bad for my own preferences.

And if it is set around Woedica's fall, which fits with a weakened Aedyr, seemingly lower tech advancement and the various oathy references, it makes for a good, viable spinoff from Early-Modern Eora: Far enough back that knowledge of PoE 1&2 isn't necessary for new players, while still a period that players of the previous games have just enough information on to pique our interest. Not to mention furthering the metaplot of "god shenanigans screwed things up, and now we have to find a way to solve it ourselves".

I also doubt they'll risk losing a large chunk of customers by not implementing a third-person mode: it's a no-brainer if you have the funding for it, which MS'll probably provide.

Interesting. It just occurred to me that if they go far enough back, we'll be pre-animancy, firearms, large scale sea-faring, etc. That'll definitely add a twist to some things.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...