What you've done today - Days of Our Lives

Amentep

Just got off our Friday call. It is official, our offices in Ft. Pillow are being closed. All West Tennessee offices are being consolidated to the big building in Memphis. But we are also officially going to  be a virtual office. Meaning that while my office might be in Memphis I will not need to go there regularly. Right now they are saying once or twice a week but maybe I can shave that down a bit. The upshot is this saves the tax payers quite a bit of money. Being a taxpayer, I like that!

So as terrible as COVID is maybe some good will come of it and more and more people learn to function remotely. 

Edit: Memphis would be a long trek by horse. How long would it take a horse to go 65 miles? Don't know but it's enough to make me drop the idea of giving up cars.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

20 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Edit: Memphis would be a long trek by horse. How long would it take a horse to go 65 miles? Don't know but it's enough to make me drop the idea of giving up cars.

assuming nice horse-friendly dirt roads, which is impassable when is heavy rains, +3 days. assume ~20 miles per day.

unlike gd, we has less romanticized notions o' equines. spent a large part o' our youth shoveling horsesh!te. grandfather wanted us to understand horses and guns ain't toys, so he had us spend hundreds o' hours doing care and maintenance o' both to teach us respect... or something. horses is useful tools, but they require a great deal o' care and they is not like big dogs. is there exceptions? sure, but if you want an animal friend, go to the local pound. 

"if you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. this is the principal difference between a dog and a man."-- mark twain.

quote works just as well if you replace "man" with "horse."

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

18 hours ago, Gromnir said:

unlike gd, we has less romanticized notions o' equines. spent a large part o' our youth shoveling horsesh!te. grandfather wanted us to understand horses and guns ain't toys, so he had us spend hundreds o' hours doing care and maintenance o' both to teach us respect... or something. horses is useful tools, but they require a great deal o' care and they is not like big dogs. is there exceptions? sure, but if you want an animal friend, go to the local pound. 

"if you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. this is the principal difference between a dog and a man."-- mark twain.

quote works just as well if you replace "man" with "horse."

HA! Good Fun!

:lol: Unlike gd you have actually HAD horses before! 

You know, of course, I'm being mostly tongue-in-cheek with that. My only experience with horses was when I was a kid. The neighbor had this old horse named Buck. He must have been 20+ years old then. He would just stand in the shade near our fence line so my brother and I started bringing him treats. Carrots, sliced apples, that kind of thing.  Before long whenever he saw us coming he'd come trotting over and soon even let us pet him. He was cool. So far as I know no one ever rode him .

I never thought a rooster would become friendly with it's caregiver  but there is an exception to that rule too.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

i was looking around my steam library to see what games i should download for the time i'll be away from internet. i expected to see an endless list of games i havent played but as i went through the list i realized that i have only 2 games that i started and never finished and 1 game that i never played at all. i would get some more of them but my HDD is dead so i only have the 250GB SSD.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

My daughter has always really been into creating somewhat morbid scenes. It started with turning her barbies and their house into of a psych ward with handmade straight jackets and scary makeup. Then she started really getting into the Halloween makeup. Like she would make me a list of all the different products she needs and I would gawk a bit, but she did make some pretty great stuff and she used it all well beyond October 31st. Now as a teenager, she has really gotten into makeup. Which is great, because she does competition dance and the fact she can do all her own makeup is awesome, but it has also been hugely expensive. She likes to experiment with it all before bed, so when I go to say goodnight to her, sometimes she will look like a scary clown, or an elderly person, or a zombie. 

So now she wants to start doing masks and learning how to work with clay, and I'm trying to figure out how to best support her in this. I've started creating a workshop in the garage. Unfortunately the materials for this type of thing are not cheap. Thankfully there are quite a few special effects on a budget video, including one be the guy who did Army of Darkness. So yeah, my summer project is now figuring out how to best direct her creative endeavors. :)

88198842_10218579324326765_8999856028895   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Finally sitting with the wiener dogs outside on the step and watching passersby.  I find playing the Homeworld soundtrack on my phone enforces social distancing, as they cross the street for some reason

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yesterday I found out that one of my old favourite Commodore 64 games (Psi 5 Trading Company) came out in two versions. The later version has 4 missions. Now they (generic 'they') tell me....

Like 35 years after the fact.

I feel robbed 😢

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

my mother told my brother not to buy those flip flops because they were slippery. he didn't listen to her. he kept slipping in the house but always pretended that it wasn't the flip flops. today he was taking some luggage down the stairs in the flip flops and slipped. fortunately he didn't break anything (almost 3 hours of tests in the hospital to make sure) but he has quite a few bruises. well, they did find something unrelated to the fall of which i warned him many times given how much sugar he consumes: a fatty liver. my family already consumes too many carbs and fried stuff but when it comes to sugar, my brother is eating more of it that all of us together... like 3 table spoons in his coffee amounts of sugar.

Edited by teknoman2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

4 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I don't understand why people who put loads of sugar in their coffee even drink the stuff. Coffee isn't good for you, so if you need to mask the flavor of the stuff, just stop. 

complete rando grab via google, which is something we ordinarily criticize, so apologies if is wild inaccurate.

Caffeine Chart

am not a coffee drinker. tried once in college. tasted like water run through a rusty pipe multiple times, and we were told what we were tasting were the "good stuff." had similar thoughts as hurl-- if only way to make something so vile palatable were to add copious amounts o' dairy and sugar, then we were not seeing value. am in 50s now and we have never had a morning cup o' coffee. 

that said, if you need your morning fix o' caffeine, you will need drink a considerable quantity o' mountain dew or simillar to get same caffeine. the candy substitutes are amusing, but we loathe coffee flavored candy and ice cream, so... 

HA! Good Fun!

ps is more than a few mornings on our long drive to work we would, quite literal, wake up. honest had no recollection o' any events o' the morning previous to some moment in the automobile when person behind us honked horn or some other sound jarred us into sensibility. perhaps we shoulda' at least considered adding coffee to our morning ritual. 

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I also despise the taste and smell of coffee but for some reason I don't mind some coffee ice creams. I mean, I can only eat a little bit but I like it.

When I was a younger man I drank energy drinks or soda if I thought I needed or wanted caffeine but now because of the sugar it's mostly tea for me. I can't do diet drinks either because they also taste like death and decay on a hot day. Also, since cutting back I've become a lot more sensitive to caffeine so a little goes a long ways and if I have it too late in the day then I can forget about a good night's sleep.

Sorry about your American brother tekno. Hopefully he can get his health under control.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

5 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I don't understand why people who put loads of sugar in their coffee even drink the stuff. Coffee isn't good for you, so if you need to mask the flavor of the stuff, just stop. 

for my brother coffee is an excuse to drink sugar

-Teknoman2-

Good coffee is exquisite.

If you find yourself drinking a vanilla pumpkin latte with a shot of caramel and wondering why it isn't good keep in mind you're not drinking coffee but reprocessed, overpriced sewage. If you drink coffee and you find it tasting like water that ran through rusty pipes, then, regardless of what you're been told, you drinking reprocessed sewage, not coffee. Good coffee will never taste like ash or burnt or rusty pipes. If it does, the water used was too hot or the coffee of inferior quality. :)

Getting good coffee is a bit like getting good beer or bread. Depending on your location it can turn out ot be really difficult and you might have to look way off the beaten path. I don't really subsribe to the ideological wars fought over how to prepare coffee. Filtered/drip, Espresso, Arabic? Doesn't matter, they can all be good.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Drink coffee twice a day, never have enjoyed a cup and have tried expensive crap my friends have extolled.  At this point, pretty sure it's just dependency rather than getting any sort of stimulant kick off it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

I'd equate coffee to an IPA for me. I've had the good stuff and I've had the bad stuff and I couldn't tell the difference.

personal theory unsupported by anything:

am thinking is an acquired taste thing. in the past we drank diet soda, and while it weren't fabulous, it were ok... and there were a spectrum w/i the diet soda world which ranged from undrinkable to much better.  now that we don't drink diet soda, all diet sodas taste a bit like our imagination says the greyish not blood stuff which oozes from days old road kill would taste. 

once you steel yourself and punish your taste buds for some unspecific number o' days and months, drink coffee and you may be able to distinguish good and bad coffee. however, nuanced evaluation is only possible if you are a coffee drinker. once freed from the punishing burden o' daily coffee addiction, your body returns to baseline and once again recognizes that all coffee is in fact repellant. 

in general am not able to appreciate the ephemeral acquired taste.  the notion we should consume more o' something we do not like in the hopes we will eventual be able to recognize its merits is an elusive concept. 

however, and in spirit o' full disclosure, am recalling we active disliked mushrooms as a child. things has changed.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

I used to be a coffee addict when I was younger. A typical 20 hour work day would involve 14-15 large Bavarian beer stein sized mugs of coffee. On the odd day off it would be replaced by copious quantities of Irish Coffee (and rum and vodka and whisky and gin and tequila and... you get the picture). Probably why, when I did my first real medical checkup (besides the one I did for my permanent residency) a bit more than a year ago, the doctor just burst out "why are you even alive???" and wouldn't let me leave her office before I had swallowed some tablets and had my blood pressure measured once more. Hypertension is there to stay unfortunately, but I consider myself blessed not having to worry about stuff like cholesterol figures or diabetes (the blood tests showed I had the health of a fine young 30 year old otherwise)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

13 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I washed my cars today. It had been way too long (March?) Since we've barely been driving them, it's easy to not think about cleaning them up, but now they look good and sparkly.

good thing 'bout living in an area with near perpetual drought conditions is we usual have an excuse for letting the everyday autos get a bit dusty w/o facing social stigma or personal guilt. am recognizing our mercenary self-interest and utter hypocrisy in using drought to avoid car washings, particular as we would never allow the grand national or lesabre to be anything other than gloriously shiny. is transparent rationalization on our part to distinguish 'tween the good autos and the workhorses when it comes to task o' car washing.

once august comes around, chances are we got daily brush and forest fires resulting in greasy ash befouling our vehicles...

in our defense, with current temperatures near or beyond 100F daily, and a driveway with a whole lotta western exposure, we needs wash vehicles extreme early in the day. water and soap pretty much dries instantaneous past 'bout  9:00 am.  morning is when we do our bike rides and dog walking, and we cannot walk dogs too early 'cause o' skunks and snakes and other critters which is also plentiful during the immediate pre and post dawn hours. 

is perhaps the only thing we got in common with those who has served. 

have also had what amounts to all night guard duty and am intimate aware o' how inexplicable difficult it is to stay awake when the world is dark and quiet and you must do naught but stand and be aware for hour after hour after hour. 

well that were off-tangent.

anyways, no Gromnir car washing but good for hurl even if greta would likely chastise him for doing so. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Gromnir said:

have also had what amounts to all night guard duty and am intimate aware o' how inexplicable difficult it is to stay awake when the world is dark and quiet and you must do naught but stand and be aware for hour after hour after hour. 

HA! Good Fun!

Diet pills. That was the secret sauce we used on watch. Coffee works well and is the stuff of life all around. But it's benefits are short lived and you build up an immunity to it. But diet pills last the whole six hours and de a fair job over caffeine. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

is not the kinda thing we typical share, and no doubt first-world problems is fair rejoinder, even so...

three weeks past we call home insurance policy provider on property X 'cause we received notice we hadn't paid bill, though we never received bill. were explained to us that the bill were mistaken sent to our mortgage company, which is funny 'cause mortgage on the property were paid off a couple years past. 

fine. whatever. nothing to get twisted up 'bout.

what does Gromnir owe?

$1600 and change.

last year it were $1200. why the increase o' $400?

apologies sir, from the info i may access on my computer i cannot say, but i can send you a new bill which includes a breakdown o' charges-- with that you may call back and discuss your bill with anybody available as long as you provide the policy number.

*sigh*

send the bill. when should Gromnir expect it?( we didn't actual speak to the lady in 3rd person... and we didn't refer to self as Gromnir. am not that kookie.)

5-8 business days.

5-8 business, even with holidays, is not three weeks, but fine. whatever. am retired so no reason to get riled over the little stuff.

open envelope and "itemized" bill includes a return envelope and a sheet o' paper which displays policy number, our address, insurer's mailing address and $1600 due july 22, 2020.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Haha 2

That is pretty steep for property insurance. All my properties combined are only a little more than that. There is a definite cost savings to living in the sticks. 

Thomas Sowell