What you've done today, tomorrow and yesterday

Amentep

23 minutes ago, Raithe said:

A bit of both.  The mouse sander is a nice hand held power sander.  But I also do a bit of fine sanding by hand on certain areas (although I probably won't need that with those back pieces). Normally a very brief bit with something 120-200 grade, then mostly with the 400. If it really needs a delicate touch, I'll do some wet sanding with 1000 grade sandpaper.

The combo of fibreglass resin and primer filler actually fills out a lot of the print lines, so that actually reduces the amount of sanding to get a smooth finish.

With 3d printed PLA, the thing is that if you do sand it too agressively, it doesn't actually come off, just melts and spreads around. So a little bit different technique to sanding other materials.

I just give it either a nice coat of wood filler or epoxy clay to fill the big gaps and shape any failed areas then give it a prime filler coating. It's the coating that I sand down, PLA is just a pain to sand but I need to get my master mold from somewhere.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

44 minutes ago, Orogun01 said:

I just give it either a nice coat of wood filler or epoxy clay to fill the big gaps and shape any failed areas then give it a prime filler coating. It's the coating that I sand down, PLA is just a pain to sand but I need to get my master mold from somewhere.

I don't really have a workshop space to try my hand at molding anything. That and figuring out what expenses it would be to get equipment and supplies.

The garage is filled out with my father's lathes and horological tools, so I'm pretty much stuck setting up shop on the patio and grass whenever I want to do anything.

Put it in perspective budget wise, if everything goes right with the printing, it takes about 7-9 spools of PLA to create a full armour costume. A dozen cans of primer and paint spray, fibreglass resin, and then all the small odds and ends, buckles and strapping.

I'm still playing around with it and learning my techniques on how-to as it goes.

I haven't wanted to jump into all the additional expense of picking up molding equipement and figuring out all those skills, and where to store additional tools and doohickies just yet. :)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

45 minutes ago, Raithe said:

I don't really have a workshop space to try my hand at molding anything. That and figuring out what expenses it would be to get equipment and supplies.

The garage is filled out with my father's lathes and horological tools, so I'm pretty much stuck setting up shop on the patio and grass whenever I want to do anything.

Put it in perspective budget wise, if everything goes right with the printing, it takes about 7-9 spools of PLA to create a full armour costume. A dozen cans of primer and paint spray, fibreglass resin, and then all the small odds and ends, buckles and strapping.

I'm still playing around with it and learning my techniques on how-to as it goes.

I haven't wanted to jump into all the additional expense of picking up molding equipement and figuring out all those skills, and where to store additional tools and doohickies just yet. :)

It ain't that expensive,(varies on the size of what you're making) but you cant get some good prices on 2 part solution silicone molds and and casting for less than $1000 that you would spend 3D printing everything. Specially if you have repeated part as molds are reusable. You only need a box and something to act as spruces.
https://shop.smooth-on.com/

They also got tutorials on how to mold and what materials to use.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Fiber 'net installed.  Hubby speedtests at around avg 800Mbps on a quick testing but I seem to be bottlenecked somewhere in the LAN pipeline to 100Mbps.  Which is still way faster than before, tho.  Instead of 4MB on Steam it's almost 12MB.  And screenshot threads load instantly vs. taking some seconds to load all images. Yay.

At some point hubby will fix the LAN bottleneck (he has other stuff to work on too like installing a better firewall he needs 'cause work security, vs. the basic stuff ATT's router thingie uses). I'll be curious re: Steam then.  I mean, game D/L's (or wanting 10 Twitch streams on at once) are the only major net speed issue for me typically. Anyhoo, I feel "with it" for (1st world) 'net speed again. :biggrin:

Edit:  well, hubby just changed the lan router cable and changed a port and now I have full speed. It's always the cable, right.
So I tried a Steam game update. It got up to 71MB but the download finished too fast to see it go higher.   :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

10 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

entire room?

Yeah, everything in the bedroom except for the bathroom. All buttons have been poked and all switches have been flipped.

Apparently my wife caused it when she had her clothes steamer and hairdryer going at the same time with a few other things.

Free games updated 3/4/21

4 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Yeah, everything in the bedroom except for the bathroom. All buttons have been poked and all switches have been flipped.

Apparently my wife caused it when she had her clothes steamer and hairdryer going at the same time with a few other things.

Sounds like a main fuse and not the "room fuses" if the things that were on were spread out through the house.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

11 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

if the things that were on were spread out through the house.

Probably a bathroom attached/within the bedroom vs spread out. Fairly common in some areas.  On-suite, as the shows like to say these days.

Is there a "main fuse" concept in houses anymore? I mean everything is either room specific (living room, bedrooms etc) or appliance specific (washer/dryer, fridge + overall kitchen) seems like.  Something could blow all of them at once ofc (doesn't sound like Shady's situation)  but ...well, I'm no electrician. That would be hubby's territory, as usual.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

11 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Sometimes a circuit breaker will trip, but when you go and look at it, the switch will appear to be in the proper position. One thing you can try is to go and manually flip the bedroom circuit breaker to "off" and then flip it back "on".

Is your wife tripping out about leaving the baby for the first time?

EDIT: Nevermind, I notice that you already did that.

• Like 1

I always get pretty nervous with electrical stuff, even though I've got the tools to do the work. I mean it could just be a bad fuse, but I'd rather have an electrician look at anything suspect. I felt really bad when we moved into our last place and I had a buddy come out to look at some of the lights that were flickering. He was like "these are just cheap bulbs. Go get bulbs from somewhere other than the dollar store." So yeah, don't buy cheap light bulbs people. :p

Just to pick a nit, "fuses" havent been used in any US home built after 1960. Fuses will blow and need to be replaced, circuit breakers will automatically trip to the off position in cases of a short or overload (like Shady's case) and can be reset by just flipping them back on.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

12 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I had the same issue which was intermittent in JHB at my old townhouse , I would be listening to music, for example, and then suddenly all lights would trip.....at the same I would be preparing food. It basically turned out to be faulty toaster or some other appliance that would literally trip all switches. It was incredibly frustrating but I needed to replace the actual appliance 

It still confuses me but it solved the problem 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Just to pick a nit, "fuses" havent been used in any US home built after 1960. Fuses will blow and need to be replaced, circuit breakers will automatically trip to the off position in cases of a short or overload (like Shady's case) and can be reset by just flipping them back on.

9 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Probably a bathroom attached/within the bedroom vs spread out. Fairly common in some areas.  On-suite, as the shows like to say these days.

Is there a "main fuse" concept in houses anymore? I mean everything is either room specific (living room, bedrooms etc) or appliance specific (washer/dryer, fridge + overall kitchen) seems like.  Something could blow all of them at once ofc (doesn't sound like Shady's situation)  but ...well, I'm no electrician. That would be hubby's territory, as usual.

I've got both actually. I've got my main fusebox, actual 20A & 16A fuses, and I've got 10A breakers inside.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Yeah, but saying "must've tripped a breaker" will never be as cool as "must've blown a fuse."    :teehee:

Where I live there are still a lot of pre-1960 homes. People like to conserve them and just add-on more than tear down (although that one real estate boom period there was more McMansioning...).  I think ours is from 1950-ish. 
But you never know what past owners have done. Some of them redo entire electrical (expensive here), some sorta update one or two rooms because they want more powah and outlets for all the tech, etc.  In our roof space there's still some knob and tooth bits but most of it was converted at some point. Looking at the breaker box, there seems to be two double-switch breakers that might turn off multiple sections of the house at once.  Not sure tho and not going to trip them to find out.  :)   One of our breakers was labeled "hot tub" -  sadly there is no hot tub out there, just a giant outdoor outlet.  :/

25 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I'll let you guys know what the electrician says 

Electrician? No need to wait for him...we have identified the problem 🔌

Its either appliances, switches, leaking fuses, unknown surges ...or the virus. No need to pay good money when the problem has been....solved :teehee:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, ShadySands said:

She's mostly afraid that he won't do well since her mom is always spoiling him. I think he'll do great.

Well...you know what time it is

• Like 1

village_idiot.gif

555 bucks minus a nickel later I now have power. The dude replaced a few breakers and rewired most of the panel.

Crap I had a lot more but it somehow got eaten when I hit save

Edited by ShadySands

38 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

555 bucks minus a nickel later I now have power. The dude replaced a few breakers and rewired most of the panel.

Crap I had a lot more but it somehow got eaten when I hit save

Yikes. Isn't it a fairly new house for you guys? Do you have an active warranty? Homeowners insurance probably isn't worth it, since the deductible is probably $500.

A little over a year for us here but the house itself was built in 67. The warranty was just for a year and that was up the first week of March.

I went to edit this post and everything new I wrote got eaten as well.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

A little over a year for us here but the house itself was built in 67. The warranty was just for a year and that was up the first week of March.

I went to edit this post and everything new I wrote got eaten as well.

Better call the electrician back, he messed up your posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

14 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Electrician? No need to wait for him...we have identified the problem 🔌

Its either appliances, switches, leaking fuses, unknown surges ...or the virus. No need to pay good money when the problem has been....solved :teehee:

Back when I was young and stupid (I'm no longer young), I replaced a blown fuse with rolled up alufoil. Absolutely mindblowingly stupid. But that's what you you do in a rural area at 2am and no replacement fuses and convenience stores open (and a fridge with food you can't afford to replace when you're a student) 😳

Edit: A friendly neighbour gave me a spare fuse the morning after to replace it.

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein