The Good News Thread

Guard Dog

Walz signs universal school meals bill into Minnesota law

minnesota-governor-tim-walz-universal-fr

“If you’re looking for good news, this was certainly the place to be,” said Walz.  “I’m honored and I do think this is one piece of that puzzle in reducing both childhood poverty and hunger insecurity.” 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 5

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

6 hours ago, Gromnir said:

“If you’re looking for good news, this was certainly the place to be,” said Walz.  “I’m honored and I do think this is one piece of that puzzle in reducing both childhood poverty and hunger insecurity.” 

HA! Good Fun!

This should be standard practice in every state.

• Like 1

And every Friday should be pizza day!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Hurlshort said:

This should be standard practice in every state.

Are you sure? I know of another new law, or perhaps axing an old law is more correct here, that is very popular with the kids.

Fq9w_bTWcAEVKsX.jpg

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

Just not Swedish pizza.

sl2EeIlM2iM0kzB6g2TzOhBGP4reQJr8WYMXpX0v

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

9 hours ago, Gromnir said:

HA! Good Fun!

Minnesota became a blue trifecta by the thinnest of margins this past election, and so far...I don't think I've had any cause for complaint.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

20 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Man, I remember pizza day was such a treat! Waiting for your slice, hoping you didnt get hosed with a small piece. Good times.

A small piece? Like real piece sliced by hands in triangle-ish shapes?  Ours were always preformed squares of pizza - roughly the size of the entree portion of the plastic tray they were plopping it on...

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It was the only lunch I ate after 10th grade. Mostly saved my lunch money.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

21 minutes ago, Amentep said:

It was the only lunch I ate after 10th grade. Mostly saved my lunch money.

I still hold a bit of a grudge because grade school wouldn't let me take the orange juice, the only thing I actually wanted, instead of the garbage 2% milk. Who in their right mind drinks 2% milk, and out of a cardboard carton no less? That cow-flavored paper-infused swill water is downright inhumane. No, they said if I wasn't actually lactose intolerant, I have to drink the milk. What, did you guys have a terribly limited supply of orange juice? Fine, I'll go back to eating nothing at lunch - we were too poor for me to be wastin' money on lunches I wasn't going to eat anyways.

Of course, looking back now, the easy solution would've been just to lie. Damn, why didn't I think of that back in second grade? What a maroon I was.

Edited by Bartimaeus
...Was it 2% milk, or did you have the option of 1% vs. skim? I don't remember, all I know was that stuff was nasty.
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

8 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I think we had 2% as well. I'm a whole milk or no milk kind of person so I didn't drink it. I think I usually traded it or gave it away.

Good man. The issue for me is I didn't like school cafeteria food period, so I skipped it unless it was one of the very few things I actually liked...which, I think only came down to when they served breaded chicken of some kind. Though I moved around during my childhood a lot, I was at that school for grades 2-4, so that was three years of my childhood I didn't hardly ever eat a thing for lunch on school days. And to not even let me have orange juice when you actually have it available so that I can at least have something...cruel and unusual, I says!

Though they probably thought it was cruel and unusual having to deal with me, so maybe it all balances out. Don't know what kind of effect not eating lunch most days out of a year has on a kid during that age range, though.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Eh, I don't remember orange juice being an option. Whole Milk and chocolate milk are the only options I remember. 

Then again in elementary school I mostly brought a lunch my mom made,  it wasn't until I started hs that it was mostly school lunch.

8 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Eh, I don't remember orange juice being an option. Whole Milk and chocolate milk are the only options I remember. 

Then again in elementary school I mostly brought a lunch my mom made,  it wasn't until I started hs that it was mostly school lunch.

Whole milk? Man, I got scammed hard.

I never asked my mom to do that. I don't know why, maybe because I knew she would yell at me if she learned that I was skipping lunch and she probably wouldn't have the time or energy to do it anyways. Actually, I absolutely hated asking my mom for money because we were really poor and it was just...difficult, so skipping lunch was kind of killing two birds with one stone. Don't have to ask for money, don't have to eat bad food.

Edited by Bartimaeus

The only options we had were milk and chocolate milk, until the vending machines in high school which may have had sodas but I honestly can't remember. Again bad memory, but I think it was 2% or skim. Not as good as juice or tea by a big margin but it's what was there and the water fountains tasted funny.

I would usually get a cold sandwich because it came with a cookie. One thing I remember clearly was these rolls I assume were mass produced because they were the same in the 10 years I spent in the district. In high school in the a la carte section there was this thing we would call ****ty t******s, where you would get two rolls with chilli and cheese dumped on. Texas public school food was not very good in the aughts.

Oh yeah good news........I ate crawfish today. Crawfish is damn good, I highly recommend everyone eat a crawfish boil at least once.

Edited by PK htiw klaw eriF
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

My mom made lunch until she went back to work.

After that I was given $7 for the week. What I didn't spend on lunch was my allowance. Didn't take long to realize that if I didn't eat lunch I got the full $7...

• Gasp! 1

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell