The Good News Thread

Guard Dog

This little octopus got a new home. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy at the end (and angry at the ****ing endless stream of plastic waste making it into the environment at the same time)

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 2 months later...
  • Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...
  • Like 6

Thomas Sowell

• 1 month later...
  • Like 2

Thomas Sowell

19 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

He probably rigged the cap and set the fire.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

17 hours ago, Malcador said:

He probably rigged the cap and set the fire.

Cynic! :lol:

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

• 3 weeks later...
  • Like 3

Thomas Sowell

• Like 4

Thomas Sowell

12 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

For every crappy story I hear about a cop, I hear another one that makes them heroic.  If American police could curb their aggression just leetle bit I think it'd go a long way to building public trust again.

Edited by ComradeYellow

5 minutes ago, ComradeYellow said:

For every crappy story I hear about a cop, I hear another one that makes them heroic.  If American police could curb their aggression just leetle bit I think it'd go a long way to building public trust again.

The problem with being a cop is if you are doing it well no one knows you're doing it. It's the bad ones that get all the press. 

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

3 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

The problem with being a cop is if you are doing it well no one knows you're doing it. It's the bad ones that get all the press. 

Yeah that's like everything with a 'Good' alignment check, if it's a good deed that's not reported or well known, chances are it's genuine and not of the sinister in nature.  If you wanna be a "good" guy, donate your shirt to a neighbor or spare some food to the shelter, 1 million positive small things outweigh 1 horrible thing.  Like Invisible Oedon from Bloodborne, you may not notice any major buffs at first, but they do add up tremendously if you stick with it...

On 1/20/2022 at 9:17 AM, Gfted1 said:

But how else would anyone know? ;)  People love to crow about their supposed positive contributions. :yes:

While it's true we don't live in a Tolkienesque society with hobbits and wizards always trying to do the good Christian thing, throughout my existence I've noticed that respect and some selfless acts can go a long way, even in a society that promotes individualism and personal achievements over general social welfare.

16 hours ago, ComradeYellow said:

...throughout my existence I've noticed that respect and some selfless acts can go a long way...

I completely agree. Then the next most important thing, and I cant stress this enough, is to immediately rush to social media and alert the world of your generosity.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-60120997

It might sort of belong in the politics thread, but it doesn't quite fit the doom and gloom there...

The Australian government has bought the Aboriginal flag's copyright in a bid to "free" the symbol of identity from bitter fights over who can use it.

Indigenous artist Harold Thomas created the flag in 1971 as a protest image but it is now the dominant Aboriginal emblem and an official national flag.

Despite this, many Aboriginal people say the flag has been "held hostage" by copyright deals that limit its display.

The flag can now be reproduced by anyone without fear of legal threats.

"Over the last 50 years we made Harold Thomas' artwork our own - we marched under the Aboriginal flag, stood behind it, and flew it high as a point of pride," said Minister for Indigenous Australians Ken Wyatt.

"Now that the Commonwealth holds the copyright, it belongs to everyone, and no-one can take it away."

The government paid more than A$20m (£11m; $14m) in total to secure the copyright from Mr Thomas and to terminate lease agreements, media reports said.

The flag can be used either together with or in lieu of the Australian national flag

It has followed pressure from Aboriginal groups and controversies in sports such as the Australian Football League (AFL), which began refusing to pay leaseholders to display the flag.

"The flag belongs to all Aboriginal people. Why do they have to pay for it?" one petition organiser, Laura Thompson, told the BBC in 2020.

"It's a symbol of our people's survival. Many of us don't identify with the Australian flag because for us it represents colonisation and invasion."

Protesters fly the Aboriginal flag over a march in Melbourne on Australia Day in 2019

Now they can use it without constant looking over their shoulders out of fear for the collectors wanting their share of the copyright revenue...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Let's stick to discussing good news and leave political debates in the politics thread... aka the bad news thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

• 3 months later...
  • Like 3

Thomas Sowell

New ultrathin “honeycomb” solar panels achieve record efficiency

If a ever buy another house (sort of a sore subject right now) I am definitely building another solar power system. It made a big difference in my utility bills

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Music At Reopened Kyiv Opera Replaces Noise Of Russian Artillery

As great at this is, while Putin is alive and Russia is doing the kind of f---d up s--t that they are doing I am not sure gathering a lot of people in one building in Kyiv is a good idea. That is what Putin would call a target.

Thomas Sowell

The results of the world’s largest study on kindness are in. Here’s what we learned

It's probably good to remember that only the worst things are reported as news. 

• Thanks 2

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)