Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Owlcat Games' next isometric Pathfinder RPG

Infinitron

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

They have a turn-based mode? My interest level for this game just went up considerably. :)

have been playing the beta exclusive in tb mode at core difficulty. there have been a few tb specific bugs, but most such bugs has been overcome by a momentary switch to rt. overall we got few complaints regarding owlcat's tb implementation for wotr, and is not as if Gromnir is reluctant to criticize.

is a whole lotta wotr trash mob combat, so play in tb will inflate gameplay hours. we were kinda in dedicated beta tester mode for the beta, so we stuck to tb with our usual perverse level o' single-mindedness, and is likely we will continue to do so 'cause am considering full release just another stage o' the beta. even so, if we were to recommend a play style based on an unlikely amount o' wotr gameplay hours, we would observe how given how much filler combat exists, rt is a good idea for most combats but any boss or sub-boss battle is worth switching to tb. 

regardless, am thinking owlcat deserves credit for the job they did implementing tb mode for wotr.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm perfectly fine with the game taking longer in TB mode; I'm a slow gamer by nature, I have no issues with combat taking a long time. As an example, I remember a lot of complaints about how long combat took in Divinity: Original Sin. I was not at all bothered by this, in fact combat was the one part of the game I liked, it was everything else (read: poor writing, cringeworthy attempts at humor, lackluster world) that turned me off the game.

For me, it's a numbers game; I am perfectly fine with RTwP if I'm controlling 1 or 2 characters. At 3 characters I start disliking RTwP and the dislike grows exponentially for each party member added. Said dislike can be somewhat mitigated if the game has really good companion AI so that I don't have to hold the hand of every single character every single second of every battle, but good companion AI is rather rare in my experiences. Most party-based RPGs have you controlling 4-6 characters, I will pretty much always prefer TB is such games, I find it less messy, for lack of a better term, when that many characters are involved. I find TB makes it easier to play tactically, to keep things organized and plan ahead, and that's worth it to me, even if it takes 3 times as long.

Having both options, provided they are both well implemented, is the ideal situation; people can play the game whatever way is more comfortable for them.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Unless they've made radical changes in the last couple of weeks, the AI for wrath is the same awful option it was in kingmaker

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

4 hours ago, Gromnir said:

we watched five minutes o' one o' his wotr videos and he pronounced rapier as ra (like the egyptian god) + peer multiple times. inexplicable drove us to distraction. 

am more than a little disappointed to hear the crusade stuff is still bugged. dead end quest bugs are always frustrating but am expecting a few o' those, particular in the final two chapters.  am also suspecting the reviewer is unaware o' many o' the feature implementation bugs, 'cause unless you play a skald or demonslayer ranger, how are you gonna know if those two classes is busted? divine hunter, for example, worked in the beta ok for the first couple levels, but at level three, when your animal companion becomes otherworldly, advancement would lockup... but only if you chose celestial. choose fiendish for your critter and you wouldn't even notice there was a problem with divine hunter progression. is literal hundreds o' bugs like that and a surprising number is effective terminating any kinda character progression in a chosen class/archetype. 

am gonna be curious to see if there is crusade workarounds, 'cause the most recent beta crusade problems woulda' ended our attempt to play the game under any normal circumstances. 

HA! Good Fun!

I've found any number of people talking about Wrath who can't pronounce common genre words that drive me nuts, but it seems fairly ubiquitous.

The crusade bugs, from what I've heard, just occur if you kill summoned enemies first (which seems really weird), but they can be avoided fairly easily if you're aware of them.

Seen several other reviews that seem to find the game in relatively good condition, so I'm not overly worried.  I'm definitely going to be playing day 1 because this is the only game I've looked forward to all year, and there's nothing on the horizon to which I'm really looking forward (god that sounds awkward, but at least I didn't end the sentence with a preposition...🙄).  A couple games I'm cautiously optimistic about, but nothing that's got me really excited.

if mortismal mentioned one crusade bug, am gonna place good money on a bet there is more.

am gonna mention the mortismal guy once more to observe his completion o' the game is likely an outlier. continue with the gambler theme, am willing to bet more than a few current available reviews o' a game which will boast more than 100 hours and were only accessed by reviewers starting last week is gonna effective be reviews o' the first couple chapters, so you is likely getting reviews mostly o' the stuff least busted even in the final beta.

as an aside, the single review we read for the game were from screen rant, and we didn't even know screen rant did game reviews. the thing is, while they gave the game a decent score, they observed, 

"There is one major problem with Wrath of the Righteous that sours the experience, and it's the bugs. There were few moments in Screen Rant's playthrough that didn't have some kind of gameplay or visual bug. These ranged from minor graphical glitches to not being able to escape from situations without a hard reset, to moves and powers simply not functioning, and some near-game-breaking situations that required a lot of save-scumming to get past. The glitches are a constant menace and they sour the experience of what is otherwise a fantastic game."

each beta release for wotr were more unstable than the previous iteration with the recognition previous released chapters had fewer quest ending bugs. the final release should have few new features compared to the final beta, so am not expecting an instability spike, but considering chapters five and six didn't even get beta review, the reasonable starting assumption would be that wotr stability at release will be less than ideal.  

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

but considering chapters five and six didn't even get beta review, the reasonable starting assumption would be that wotr stability at release will be less than ideal.

Also worth mentioning that many classes, archetypes, mythic paths, and prestige classes were never released in a feature complete state. I strongly suspect that a lot of people are going to run into problems with builds even if they manage to avoid gameplay bugs.

• Like 3

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

most important question is which class will give me wings, is it still only sorcerer?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

12 hours ago, Achilles said:

Also worth mentioning that many classes, archetypes, mythic paths, and prestige classes were never released in a feature complete state. I strongly suspect that a lot of people are going to run into problems with builds even if they manage to avoid gameplay bugs.

Bugfinder: Wrath of the Impatient Players.

• Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

Well it's out now, so I guess I can hear about how broken it is over the next few months. Good luck to all of yall foolishbrave enough to go into the broken mess.

Edited by KP the meanie zucchini
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 minute ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Well it's out now, so I guess I can hear about how broken it is over the next few months. Good luck to all of yall foolishbrave enough to go into the broken mess.

I'm firing it up now and going through CC just to make sure my planned character still works. Will use save file hacks to check for bugs in the build.

Won't be able to play this weekend, so definitely won't be starting the game in earnest for a while.

• Gasp! 1

25 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

rpg player always have strongest tolerance for bugs

kingmaker can push even some of the most veteran player away with the final chapter are actually kind of impressive

still waiting for a save editor to test 20 level character

would be incredibly frustrating to waste dozens of hours on a buged character build

50 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

rpg player always have strongest tolerance for bugs

kingmaker can push even some of the most veteran player away with the final chapter are actually kind of impressive

still waiting for a save editor to test 20 level character

would be incredibly frustrating to waste dozens of hours on a buged character build

Don't need an editor. You can open the archive file, and edit the party.json to give yourself as much XP as you'd like. Works for Mythic levels (1-10) too

EDIT: I stand corrected. It appears they changed how mythic level information is stored since I last played

EDIT 2: Nevermind. You can still edit it. Once you find, "Experience" in the json, add a , to the end of the line, then add a new line with "MythicExperience": and a number (1-10). Save and add the json back to the archive. Close the archive, reload the save and experiment with mythic levels to your heart's content :)

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 1

Double post, but new topic:

Looks like there are some new feats and mythic abilities in the production version. I wish there were more of the latter, but the couple I see look like potential game changers.

• Gasp! 1

Well I guess it couldn't hurt to just try character builds when I get home.

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 minute ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Well I guess it couldn't hurt to just try character builds when I get home.

We lost another one. May your luck hold brave bug finder!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

9 minutes ago, Sarex said:

We lost another one. May your luck hold brave bug finder!

I just want to see if I could get a Magus with a 11-20/x4 crit range. I'll probably wait until the last DLC releases to actually play the game.

• Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Keyrock said:

I'll probably also wait until the final DLC releases to play the game, but I'll also wait to purchase it until then. ;)

I already got Kickstart, as it were 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I'll probably also wait until the final DLC releases to play the game, but I'll also wait to purchase it until then. ;)

Same thing for me most probably.

I made it to lvl2 and I am already eye rolling about the story - not a good sign

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Warpriest still has limited (and crappy) blessing options, but it looks like they finally got around to fixing the Champion of the Faith archetype so that character level counted as BAB level for bonus feats. I think I'm too smitten with the merged spellbook that clerics get to ever go back now, but it's nice to know this is now a viable option if I ever want to give it a try.

30 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

I made it to lvl2 and I am already eye rolling about the story - not a good sign

I mean, the story in Kingmaker wasn't so hot either...