Guns vs. Video Games: Which One Would You Ban?

ktchong

Let say if getting rid of EITHER guns OR video game would magically eliminate mass shootings in America, which one would you choose to get rid of?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. If we can solve the mass shooting problem in America by banning/getting rid of EITHER guns OR video games, which would you choose?

• Ban/Get Rid of Guns
    • Ban/Get Rid of Video Games

"Since it's almost exclusively WHITE MALES  who commit mass shootings"

That's fake news.

However, there is one race that does commit the highest % of murders considering their low % of the overall population. HI9NT: It isn't Asians.

P.S. The elft has also attacked  video games as evil,, tools of mass murderers, rapists, and other nonsense. Both parties do it because it is easy pickings. The Left won't do it this round because the right beat them to it. L0L  Last time it was the elft attacking video games. It is the right wing';s turn.

Both are stupid.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

In 1981 a book called Mazes and Monsters came out. It was fiction inspired by true (although heavily sensationalized) events where a group of D&D players in the 70's thought the game was real and got themselves killed in a cave. And not by monsters in case you were wondering. A movie was made from the book and a brand new moral outrage and calls for banning something was spawned. In '84 a book called "The dungeon master: the disappearance of James Dallas Egbert III" came out. Egbert had a history of mental illness that was blamed on D&D. Then in 1982 this came out:

1981-d-and-d1.jpg

This caused a snit when a group of pastors said Mattel was introducing devil worship to middle school kids which caused this to get pulled. I had one BTW. I remember it being pretty fun considering the time. 

Blaming harmless things that some people have decided they don't like for other unrelated things is hardly new. Nihil novi sub sole. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

7 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

In 1981 a book called Mazes and Monsters came out. It was fiction inspired by true (although heavily sensationalized) events where a group of D&D players in the 70's thought the game was real and got themselves killed in a cave. And not by monsters in case you were wondering. A movie was made from the book and a brand new moral outrage and calls for banning something was spawned. In '84 a book called "The dungeon master: the disappearance of James Dallas Egbert III" came out. Egbert had a history of mental illness that was blamed on D&D. Then in 1982 this came out:

1981-d-and-d1.jpg

This caused a snit when a group of pastors said Mattel was introducing devil worship to middle school kids which caused this to get pulled. I had one BTW. I remember it being pretty fun considering the time. 

Blaming harmless things that some people have decided they don't like for other unrelated things is hardly new. Nihil novi sub sole. 

Interesting post, nice one :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

15 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Nihil novi sub sole. 

I've always been confused on whether it's this or "nihil sub sole novum". Both have plenty of results on Google (with the edge going towards the second), and both claim the same origin (Vulgate Latin translation of the Bible).

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

51 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I've always been confused on whether it's this or "nihil sub sole novum". Both have plenty of results on Google (with the edge going towards the second), and both claim the same origin (Vulgate Latin translation of the Bible).

I know it's from the book of Ecclesiasties. Not sure chapter or verse. That was how it was spelled in FO:NV. It's also the motto of the FAU  history dept. It's just always stuck with me for those two reasons. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It's Ecclesiastes 1:9 - one of the very few I actually know the chapter and verse numbers for by heart.

I'm reading that both "novo" and "novi" mean "new", but the former is plural while the latter is singular (e.g. it is "homo novo" for "new man", "homines novi" for "new men")...and "novum" is a combo that means "new thing". Thing is, "nihil" already means "nothing", so "nihil sub sole novum" would seem to mean "nothing under the sun is a new thing", while "nihil novi sub sole" would seem to mean "nothing new under the sun". Interesting to note that "nothing" is apparently considered plural in Latin, but singular in English.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

On 8/9/2019 at 12:46 PM, Gorgon said:

So dramatic. Why are you using the comic book caption effect where you CAPITALISE certain words FOR EFFECT..  KAPOW!!!

Shapiro starts out debunking the link and makes the case that restrictions would be illegal.

FUN TRIVIA FACT, U. S. COMIC BOOKS TYPICALLY USE ALL UPPER CASE LETTERS, AND USE BOLD FOR EMPHASIS OF WORDS INSTEAD OF MIXED CASE AND ALL CAPS.  THIS MADE IT HARDER FOR OLD PRINTING PRESSES TO MAKE THE TEXT ILLEGIBLE.  CLASSICALLY, UNTIL COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY CAUGHT UP TO IT, MOST LETTERING WAS DONE BY HAND.  THE BIG EXCEPTION IN THE U. S. WAS CHARLTON COMICS WHO ACTUALLY HAD A GIANT TYPING MACHINE AND TYPED THE LETTERING IN FOR SOME COMICS DIRECTLY ON THE ARTWORK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

This poll is even worse than a false dichotomy, as neither option actually solves anything. You could add Dungeons & Dragons too to the list for that matter.

North American population is too overweight: Ban KFC or Ban McDonald? Same thing, banning either, neither or both wont solve the problem. Presenting no viable poll options is just trying to create an echo chamber for your own perceptions for the problem.

Volourn (bless his little kanadian soul) almost got it right, except banning people wont work either. People and society is the problem and fixing the underlying problems need to start there.

Addressing things like how are people that are isolated, ostracized, marginalized etc. treated? How is the mental healthcare for the population, especially for the aforementioned groups? The NRA isn't the problem, just a symptom. Cure the disease and the symptoms go away.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

6 hours ago, Gorth said:

This poll is even worse than a false dichotomy, as neither option actually solves anything. You could add Dungeons & Dragons too to the list for that matter.

I actually thought this was the idea - if forced, what stupid populist solution for solving violence do you prefer on whatever basis you desire? For me, it was "well, they can't actually stop me from playing video games that are at least currently out, so I guess that". Admittedly, I can't read the original post, though, so it could be that the intent was different than how I interpreted it with that further context.

Edited by Bartimaeus