Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

So... no reactivity to garrote paladin/priest of woedica in Oswald's trial encounter

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

brunachos

brunachos

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts

I made this character for role-playing reasons: priest of Woedica multiclassed with steel garrote paladin, the two new subclasses. But it was a bit frustrating when I come to the encounter at the base of the pyramid on the desert island: I was not even able to claim to the woedicians I was one of his equals. The whole stuff was somehow unnimersive, sadly.

• Khagmas likes this

house2fly

house2fly

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1137 posts

The subclasses were added post-release in a free patch, so it's probably not realistic that they'd have reactivity specifically for them. Though there was at least one Steel Garotte line somewhere in the game that may be activated by the class

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2070 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Sad, but understandable. I still prefer to have these classes without reactivity than not having them at all, or even with a mod.

Khagmas

Khagmas

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Steam:Gwynrick
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It's great that many of the forum attendants are ready to defend the position of developers, whatever it may be.

But this is probably the only moment in the game where a special dialogue for these subclasses is really necessary.

Do not consider my statement rude.

Edited by Khagmas, 16 January 2019 - 01:18 PM.

uuuhhii

uuuhhii

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 366 posts

It's great that many of the forum attendants are ready to defend the position of developers, whatever it may be.

But this is probably the only moment in the game where a special dialogue for these subclasses is really necessary.

there are many subclass lack special reaction before 4.0

but the main difficulty is voice actors

hard the find va for minor npcs the read new lines

if some reaction are eventually added it will be more likely in some description text or main npcs dialogue

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2981 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

"Defend the position"? What position is that exactly?

Getting an extra subclass for each class was a rather fantastic surprise. I do believe that not warning about lack of reactivity for them might be a danger especially when new players come into the game now knowing those were added late after development of the base game was concluded.

No one is arguing that reactivity for those subclasses shouldn't be added. It's just highly unlikely. Did anyone really expect that they will dig through the base game, track were each of the classes should/could have reactivity, modify quests, do the writing and rehire voice actors, on top of the design that went into creating those subclasses? 

I think that would be cool. I think that how it is now, it is bound do disappoint/piss off current and future players. But as Insane Commander stated I do prefer to have those subclasses than not have them. 

• People complained why we don't have access to some unique subclasses.
  • Those subclasses are added, and people complain there isn't reactivity to them (I do think it would be nice to at least cover the obvious spots - Temple of Woedica is a pretty glaring issue).
  • If they patch in one or two, then people will complain that there aren't more.

<shrug> That's why we can't have nice things. 

Though if Turn Based mode is really being developed, then who knows. Maybe extra reactivity will be added as well. 

Edited by Wormerine, 16 January 2019 - 01:46 PM.

• DozingDragon and InsaneCommander like this

Khagmas

Khagmas

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Steam:Gwynrick
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

there are many subclass lack special reaction before 4.0

but the main difficulty is voice actors

hard the find va for minor npcs the read new lines

if some reaction are eventually added it will be more likely in some description text or main npcs dialogue

Inquisitor Lödwyn must somehow comment on the attitude of the player's subclasses to Woedica (Even if only by textual dialogue, i think).

It is especially strange that there is a special dialogue for the Bleak Walkers subclass but not for The Steel Garrote Paladins or Priests of Woedica...

Edited by Khagmas, 16 January 2019 - 02:17 PM.

Cartoons Plural

Cartoons Plural

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 80 posts

how is it strange that a class that existed when the game came out had reactivity with a quest in the base game that the new class added with a patch almost six months later does not, are you getting that part or nah

they added to the game for free and you complain about it no thats actually good thank you, investor and patron of black isle my lord

Edited by Cartoons Plural, 16 January 2019 - 05:08 PM.

brunachos

brunachos

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts

I really understand the side of the devs... but tought was a good idea to raise the question, you know, just in case...

• daven likes this

house2fly

house2fly

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1137 posts
Certainly can't hurt to give feedback. If they find themselves with a few extra voice acting bucks lying around, who knows, right?
  • InsaneCommander likes this

Verde

Verde

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam:DragonSoundxSG

I agree. It the obvious interaction to tweak, and really no excuse not to.

I feel TC's pain. It seems like a minor thing but those sorts overlooks can really kill a playthrough.

Edited by Verde, 16 January 2019 - 06:08 PM.

• Khagmas likes this

Manveru123

Manveru123

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 818 posts

Did anyone really expect that they will dig through the base game, track were each of the classes should/could have reactivity, modify quests, do the writing and rehire voice actors, on top of the design that went into creating those subclasses? 

Yes. Otherwise it's just sloppy job and it kills the narrative.

house2fly

house2fly

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1137 posts

Well, here's the good news: the added subclasses are at the bottom of the list in every case. The original subclasses are in alphabetical order. So when creating a character, simply avoid the bottom option in each case to preserve the narrative.

thelee

thelee

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1380 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Did anyone really expect that they will dig through the base game, track were each of the classes should/could have reactivity, modify quests, do the writing and rehire voice actors, on top of the design that went into creating those subclasses? 

Oh brother, this is the sort of LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE hyperbole that I hate.

If missing out on one bit of reactivity in one narrow situation "kills the narrative" I don't know what to tell you.

Triple - A Foxy Lad

Triple - A Foxy Lad

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 299 posts
Writing fanfiction is always an option. Fill in all those gaps to ur hearts content!

Every disappointment is an opportunity. become the change u wish to see in the world etc. etc.
  • InsaneCommander likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14453 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Using excessive hyperbole is just the common way of voicing one's opinion where Manervu123's from. Don't judge! ;)

Manveru123

Manveru123

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 818 posts

If missing out on one bit of reactivity in one narrow situation "kills the narrative" I don't know what to tell you.

Well yeah, in this particular situation it does. Although I do not recall saying that it's unplayable. Especially in caps.

They're marketing this game with rich narrative as one of it's main selling points, then they suddenly stop caring about it. Why? This is a sloppy job and I stand by what I said.

house2fly

house2fly

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1137 posts
Because the game bombed and they don't have the resources to fix all the bugs, much less patch in free voice acting

Manveru123

Manveru123

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 818 posts

That's reasonable. I wouldn't mind no VO at all for this, but that would probably be just as bad, considering the whole game is voiced.

brunachos

brunachos

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts

Yeah, he is overreacting... I told I was sad, but personally can cope with killing some of my fellow brethen. My char is an ass anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users