This ability is AMAZING and easy to spam.  The strategy is this:

1.  Iron Wheel (extra con and armor)

2.  Hellwalker (more might)

3.  Heavy armor and a light shield (survivability).

4.  Surround the monk with 2 heralds. 

5.  Profit.  

With the constant regen and healing of the heralds, and the heavy armor and high deflection, the monk is almost as tanky as a paladin.  

Get hit. 

Regen.

Get wounds.  

Activate whispers of the wind.

Repeat.

The reason it's so powerful is that it doesn't cost any non-renewable resources.  Both wounds and chants come back quickly in a fight. 

And if the enemies ignore the monk, who else are they going to target? The even tankier heralds? The summons?  

Heralds + Monks is going to be my next party comp.  

• Like 1

I posted this like ten times already but here you go:

Hyleon_rocks.gif?dl=1

Bonus points if you use the Stalking Cloak because it stuns when you are invisible - and you are indeed invisible during the duration of WotWind.

And if you combine it with Resonant Touch.

No need for the lately omnipresent Herald.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

You don't need to use it if party members are near. It makes not that much of a difference in this case anyway. I fact I don't use it at all with a monk - only accidentally. Or when enemies stand in a pack, are vulnerable to fire and no friends are near.

The AoE of Mortars works very well with Stunning Surge, Flagellant's Path and Resonant Touch. That is important because you get Whispers of the Wind so late that you want some cool stuff for "in between" and not get starved on fun actions.

Edited by Boeroer

The AoE of Mortars works very well with ... Flagellant's Path ....

Mind expanding on this?  I thought Flagellant's just did Crush damage to enemies that the Monk passes, rather than anything based on what weapon(s) he/she is holding.  Other than the full attack on the target, what is the interaction with the Mortars?  Or is it just that it's a full attack ability that you can spam based on Wounds?

Edited by Enoch

Flagellant's Path lets you spam mortar shots (any shots) because it has its own recovery but skips reload. The crush damage is unchanged but at the target you do the usual dual AoE shot - without the following reload. Just jump here and fro and fire your dual mortars every time.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Bonus points if you use the Stalking Cloak because it stuns when you are invisible - and you are indeed invisible during the duration of WotWind.

Ok, what did I just see?

As far as I can tell, it's Enduring Dance, Lightning Strikes, Power Surge (from the amulet?) and then... Whispers of the wind?  Combat log goes so fast I can't see what happens!  Then it pauses while you activate resonant touch and they all die.

My mind is blown.  Is there a class build for that character anywhere?

Not yet. Still playing it. ;)

It's not that complicated though. It's a single class ranged Helwalker with dual mortars using Whispers of the Wind and Resonant Touch.

Power Surge is only there to add more jumps for Whispers of the Wind. And the rest is pretty standard (Lightning Strikes, Enduring Dance).

You can also empower Whispers of the Wind to add more jumps:

hyleon_epowers.gif?dl=1

Or add Avenging Storm with Heaven's Cacophony:

hyleon_shocks.gif?dl=1

An additional trick here is to use a Cloak that stuns enemies if you attack out of stealth or invisibility - because Whispers of the Wind makes you invisible.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Mask of the Grotto Deep is another item you should use because it makes  Melee weapon attacks from stealth apply Raw Damage over time to target. You can make a really strong monk build for Xoti with those items and WotEP or Oathbreaker's End. Xoti is especially good at it because she regenerates wounds by getting kills which can let you constantly spam Whisper of the Wind as long as you are getting kills. Add the Spider Silk Robe and envenom your weapon for some serious damage dealing.

Good point.

Usually you don't need the poison because everything's dead from the direct damage when using mortars + Whispers + Resonant Touch. And it only works with melee weapons.

But yes - especially if enemies don't stand that near to another and/or if you don't use any AoE weapon with Whispers of the Wind and like the "vibe" of the Mask this could be cool.

You could also try Lover's Embrace and see if multiple DoTs of it stack. Like Battle Axes' Bleeding Cuts do. Those are also very nice with Whispers of the Wind.

Another weapon that works really well by the way is Watershaper's Focus. Like Dual Mortars basically - only primary attack but jumps one time and triggers Ondra's Wave on crit.

The advantage of AoE weapons with Whispers of the Wind is that a) Avenging Storm will hit so many times (no matter the weakness of every individual hit) that it also might kill all enemies and b) that every hit over a certain threshold will generate a Resonant Touch which will then apply flat raw dmg. So it's more about the sheer number of hits you generate and not that much about damage per hit (also nice of course, but in this case with the mortars or rod not no. 1 priority).

Edited by Boeroer

Hyleon_rocks.gif?dl=1

this is clearly overpowered and needs nerf and not intended. deadfire supposed to be most balanced game intended by obsidian :)

Not yet. Still playing it. ;)

It's not that complicated though. It's a single class ranged Helwalker with dual mortars using Whispers of the Wind and Resonant Touch.

Power Surge is only there to add more jumps for Whispers of the Wind. And the rest is pretty standard (Lightning Strikes, Enduring Dance).

Thanks for this. I thought I understood this game pretty well but I'm still discovering things I had no idea about. Starting to feel like I've barely scratched the surface!

• Like 1

Hyleon_rocks.gif?dl=1

Looks fun but it's rather hard to focus enemies in tight space. I wonder how it will work with Wahai Poraga or some other AoE weapon (or something with kind of splash damage like Keeper of the Flame).

giphy.gif

Does not work with AoE weapons except with rod+Blast and mortars. No Wahaī Pōraga and no Whispers of the Endless Paths. Citzal's works but obviously you can't get it without cheating for a single class Monk.

Special procs like from Oathbreakers End or Watershaper's Focus does work though.

It's very easy to group enemies: use Sparkcrackers or Arkemyr's Dazzling Lights from stealth or use Pull of Eora.

I'm playing it for a whole Playthrough ATM to verify its viability through the whole game and it's great. For solo you'd need to "despecialize" of course. This is not a solo build.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Does no work with AoE weapons except with rod+Blast and mortars. No Wahaī Pōraga and no Whispers of the Endless Paths. Citzal's works but obviously you can get it without cheating for a single class Monk.

Special procs like from Oathbreakers End or Watershaper's Focus does work though.

It's very easy to group enemies: use Sparkcrackers or Arkemyr's Dazzling Lights from stealth or use Pull of Eora.

I'm playing it for a whold Playthrough ATM to verify its viability through the whole game and it's great. For solo you'd need to "despecialize" of course. This is not a solo build.

Pull of Eora is one of my favorite spell since my last playthrough. Sparkcrackers and Dazzling Lights make sense.

Btw, how your barbarian build with low deflection for barbaric retaliation worked out?

giphy.gif

Great. Really impressive. But unfortunately it comes sooo late.

And yet there are many people who say that level cap should be higher. They hit level 20 and lost the only reason to play further. But there isn't much time to have fun with all cool endgame stuff. Like Bittercut in PoE 1 with Helwax Mold used after enchanting that weapon to legendary.

giphy.gif