Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pachfinder Bugmaker: The Rekkoning

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1209 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I pun therefore I am.

Old thread: https://forums.obsid...01#entry2123571

ShadySands:

Step by step work around that works, for me it never failed so far to get the DLC working:

STEP 1:Create a new game or load an old playthrough doesn't mater and make a new clean save, the point is to make sure tha save is the newest one.

STEP2: exit the game and start it again

STEP 3: DO NOT CLICK THE NEW GAMES BUTTON or the LOAD GAME BUTTON if you do, the DLC will fail to activate

STEP 4: click the CONTINUE button and NOTHING ELSE, not even setting

STEP5: wait for your game to load, and miracle the DLC is active, now you can go back to the main menu, you will notice your screen is much darker, and now you are allowed to click the new game button and the new race and class will be available

Would anyone say that the game is in a stable enough state that I can now play it without running into progression stopping bugs every few hours?

Edited by the_dog_days, 29 December 2018 - 09:09 AM.

• ShadySands and Hawke64 like this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3347 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Probably but with this game it's hard to say
  • the_dog_days likes this

Epaminondas

Epaminondas

(4) Theurgist

• Validating
  • 277 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Great pun, though. :broad grin:

Anyhow, I don't know if the game's super stable, but I haven't seen a lot of glaring errors lately. Some of the writing makes me scratch my head, but overall they convey the ideas very well. Trying to decipher why they did this or that or why any particular statement or action is good or evil requires a good background in obscure divination.

Anyhow, I have a warning to any poor bastard who's going to pick up the game to go online and read guides about kingdom building. Some things are irritating, such as having my treasury raided in very close proximity. Having a negative balance in your treasury really tanks your stability. Once your stability gets into the riot zone, you're probably in a downward spiral and best pray you have cash and people to do things like hold feasts and plead with mobs of angry peasants. It's ****ing like a birthday with my extended family when I was a kid. Someone's going to get hurt.
  • Hawke64 likes this

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2080 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Subbing to thread.

Epaminondas

Epaminondas

(4) Theurgist

• Validating
  • 277 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Can someone tell me why I can't rank up my minister? I can rank up all 9 other advisors, but I can't improve my minister past 2. Everyone else is 3 or higher at this point, with a few being 5. Stupid kingdom building mechanics. It's all clear as mud.

EDIT: So I did this quest for Irlene and I found this halfling villager's dead husband. Following the Lawful Good option, I promised to support her and her kids now that the husband's gone. 1 BP a turn?! lol How much can the little runt and her brood eat?! Sometimes it hurts being the good guy. So I guess that's another kingdom expense. A BP, though? Good Lord, you could probably feed and house the entire village for one BP a week. Maybe not build it. That would take probably 20 BPs startup, more or less. To keep it functioning? 1 to 3 BPs for the lot of 'em!

Edited by Epaminondas, 17 December 2018 - 12:35 AM.

• Keyrock and Hawke64 like this

Manveru123

Manveru123

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 857 posts

This is why LG characters are hypocrites. If you support one family with a dead husband, why not all of them?

Chaotic Neutral for life.

• Hawke64 and Epaminondas like this

Mirandel

Mirandel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Was not it Patchfinder: Bugmaker? But anyway, could you please add the link to the original topic. It contained some useful information.

• the_dog_days and Hawke64 like this

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9359 posts

still less buggy than an Obsidian game

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5588 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

still less buggy than an Obsidian game

In this case, exclaiming "Not even by a longshot" as a reply here would be an understatement.

• ShadySands, Mirandel, Yria and 1 other like this

Epaminondas

Epaminondas

(4) Theurgist

• Validating
  • 277 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Aw, Manveru, don't you know the argument? "The devil says you can't save them all so don't save any?" :polishing halo with a smirk: To be serious, though, the alignment system is stupid in conception, but it's so central to any DnDesque game there's no dumping it. ...And it can be fun, even if it's irritating. I used to loathe it. I mean, seriously, I used to write pages of screeds against the alignment system, but I just don't have the stamina to care about it much these days. In my alignment system, I'd call the decision to use public funds to support the widow of a man who died trying to circumvent the law misguided malfeasance. I can see personally trying to help her, but that would probably be to get her in touch with charities that help people in dire straights. The first one that comes to mind is Joseph's Storehouse just down the road, but there are others.

Anyhow, I finally got into Pitax and I'll just say that there are some *sweet* magic items for sale there. I hope I don't lose access to the goodies because I have a very strong suspicion my relationship with Irovetti will not age like fine wine.
  • Hawke64 likes this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3347 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Random subtle hint - buy everything you may want or need now

• Epaminondas likes this

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2700 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk

This is why LG characters are hypocrites. If you support one family with a dead husband, why not all of them?

Chaotic Neutral for life.

:(

Hawke64

Hawke64

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 244 posts
  • Steam:Hawke_404
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I pun therefore I am.

ShadySands:

Step by step work around that works, for me it never failed so far to get the DLC working:

STEP 1:Create a new game or load an old playthrough doesn't mater and make a new clean save, the point is to make sure tha save is the newest one.

STEP 3: DO NOT CLICK THE NEW GAMES BUTTON or the LOAD GAME BUTTON if you do, the DLC will fail to activate

STEP5: wait for your game to load, and miracle the DLC is active, now you can go back to the main menu, you will notice your screen is much darker, and now you are allowed to click the new game button and the new race and class will be available

Would anyone say that the game is in a stable enough state that I can now play it without running into progression stopping bugs every few hours?

It should be fine up to the 5th chapter. I'm on my 2nd PT and some of the bugs I've encounter on the 1st PT have been fixed. Some were added, though.

On an unrelated note, why there are rolls in non-combat skill checks? Unless it's the Iron Man mode, nothing stops the player from reloading until they succeed.

Mirandel

Mirandel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I pun therefore I am.

ShadySands:

It should be fine up to the 5th chapter. I'm on my 2nd PT and some of the bugs I've encounter on the 1st PT have been fixed. Some were added, though.

On an unrelated note, why there are rolls in non-combat skill checks? Unless it's the Iron Man mode, nothing stops the player from reloading until they succeed.

I suspect they simply made rolling one system - for everything. If you remove it from non-combat skills, it will be removed for combat as well.

Budget, you understand. ;)

Epaminondas

Epaminondas

(4) Theurgist

• Validating
  • 277 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
heh. My mage won the brawling tournament in Pitax. I buffed the hell out of everyone when I went in and before each phase. So my mage had blur, displace, mirror image, greater heroism, haste, and some other spell. Anyhow, I ran away and let folks attack each other and then took on the last guy and won. lol The overall tournament was actually pretty fun.

EDIT: I'm finally done with the tournament in Pitax and now I have no idea how to end Linzi's dialogue with Eobald.

Edited by Epaminondas, 18 December 2018 - 12:31 AM.

• Hawke64 likes this

Melusina

Melusina

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • Steam:Sorceress
  • Deadfire Backer

I played this game till late hours a while back. Now I feel bored easily with beginning.

Edited by Melusina, 18 December 2018 - 10:25 AM.

Epaminondas

Epaminondas

(4) Theurgist

• Validating
  • 277 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
First things first, the writing is uneven, but they did a great job with the NPC end dialogue. In fact, I enjoyed Tristan's quest so much that I redid the end to explore dialogue choices. The first time, I chose my own (Neutral Good) option since there wasn't one for Lawful Good. It was well done. Then I decided I didn't need a swing to Good, so I chose (Neutral) and had Tristan convince the dude himself. It was beautifully done. It honest to goodness sounded sincere, as real as begging someone to come back from the brink of self-destruction. Linzi's statement to Eobald about humans being animals that enjoyed stories reminded me of something I often say to my wife: "In your world, the animals talk to you. In mine, the people bite you." I think the game shines best with the NPCs. Even Amiri was well done. She sounds like an idiot when she talks, but her hangdog dejection when she begs for your help is absolutely in character and actually shows some development. Great job.

Now, for something funny. Playing on normal is great for running roughshod over everything in sight. I found this Lair of the Ilthuliak or some such. I saw it and buffed the hell out of my party and we got it first try. I was surprised by the little bastards coming out the woodwork to hinder my party and they actually packed a punch. Before the battle, I was considering whom I would protect from arrows because I only had one at the ready. I decided on Octavia. lol I debated putting it on Tristan, but Octavia usually draws more heat. Well, due to laziness, I don't micromanage fights like I used to do. So a couple of my guys got knocked out of the fight (and worse, both ended up at death's door). Still, not that bad of a fight all things considered and a lot of cool swag.

EDIT: How sad is this? I caught the goblin who stole my throne. I succeeded in my persuasion check which made him raise his price from 100g to 200g. I then succeeded in my intimidate check. Then I felt guilty, reloaded, succeeded in my persuasion check, and paid the little runt 200g because I felt bad for him. He was so happy to get some cash for the first time, I just shrugged and wrote it off as charity. I don't begrudge the coin, but I was a bit wistful for the experience. I'm an XP whore. Still, it was worth it.

Edited by Epaminondas, 18 December 2018 - 10:25 PM.

• Hawke64 likes this

Manveru123

Manveru123

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 857 posts

So if someone steals from you, you find it acceptable to buy it back from that person because you feel bad about them? Your character is such a nice guy. Mine would gut the pig.

EDIT: I wanted to do that with Linzi too (I really despise stealing and have no patience for it), but I didn't want to miss out on her quest :/

Edited by Manveru123, 19 December 2018 - 01:23 AM.

• Epaminondas likes this

Epaminondas

Epaminondas

(4) Theurgist

• Validating
  • 277 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Manveru, you glorious bastard! I'm almost positive you pointed me toward making Octavia an arcane trickster. That's been great.

Okay, I actually feel more sympathy for the goblin than Linzi. Linzi betrayed me. Like you, I didn't send her packing because I wanted to see her companion quests, but my instinct was to send her away as a traitor. She literally betrayed my trust rather than asking from me something I would have given in the first place. I tell you now, brother, after that I never trusted the little cheat again. ...And her dialogue is mostly uninspired also.
  • Manveru123 likes this

Manveru123

Manveru123

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 857 posts

Don't worry about Linzi. Just wait till the end of the game. You will not be disappointed ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users