Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

First-person shooter :(

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Mirandel

Mirandel

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Why, Osidian, why?! What have we - people with motion sickness - ever done to you to deserve that?! First Cyberpunk 2077, now you. Second sci-fi game I will have to skip next year. And again, from the company I trusted and never expected such a blow :(   

Please, at least consider the addition of third person view too for your next game! Can not say how it translates to the sales but it sure makes a lot of people happy.

• Heijoushin, kanisatha, lowdegger and 3 others like this

Snaike

Snaike

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

As someone with non-rotational vertigo I agree.  Can we please get a third-person view?

• kanisatha, wolfrider100, Sanjid099 and 4 others like this

Big-Ben

Big-Ben

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Steam:Big Ben
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

An adjustable FOV slider should theoretically alleviate this. Considering this is unfortunately not a thing on a lot of these games I understand the frustration. A game with a console FOV like 60 or something is bound to cause problems. Widening that up to ninety or even one hundred should help significantly.

kanisatha

kanisatha

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The first-person view is a deal-breaker for me as well. So, sadly, I will have to skip this game.

• Heijoushin, PlayerSlotAvailable, matrixfehler and 1 other like this

kutku

kutku

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

Yes, please add TPP

• matrixfehler likes this

Graavigala85

Graavigala85

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts

Ye 3rd person option would be god send to have as option, adjusting the FOV slider is very rarely a fix to the problem when motion sickness takes over.

I wish nothing but good for this game and studio but sadly I have to skip this game unless there is some way to get 3rd person option to work, be it by just tweaking .ini files or what ever.

There is hope for this because the camera rotates if you idle long enough so it might just be matter of simply adjusting numerical values from camera, or like in games such as Borderlands, modders made it possible to change the camera. This was done by cheatengine so that might be issue on itself. I just hope the devs would go that extra mile and add OPTION for camera change.

And hey, theres always Fallout76 to play... hahaha... I made myself sad :(

• Mirandel, PlayerSlotAvailable and matrixfehler like this

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3066 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ye 3rd person option would be god send to have as option, adjusting the FOV slider is very rarely a fix to the problem when motion sickness takes over.
I wish nothing but good for this game and studio but sadly I have to skip this game unless there is some way to get 3rd person option to work, be it by just tweaking .ini files or what ever.
There is hope for this because the camera rotates if you idle long enough so it might just be matter of simply adjusting numerical values from camera, or like in games such as Borderlands, modders made it possible to change the camera.

I suppose it depends on how the character is designed. Borderlands are multiplayer game, which means that from outside they had to look somewhat decent. Even if the character is fully modeled (important question - can you see your legs in OW?) he might look very much like this:
https://youtu.be/yPSCeVSM0Sg
  • Mirandel and PlayerSlotAvailable like this

Mirandel

Mirandel

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There is hope for this because the camera rotates if you idle long enough so it might just be matter of simply adjusting numerical values from camera, or like in games such as Borderlands, modders made it possible to change the camera.

I suppose it depends on how the character is designed. Borderlands are multiplayer game, which means that from outside they had to look somewhat decent. Even if the character is fully modeled (important question - can you see your legs in OW?) he might look very much like this:

Would agree for any weird TPP - still better than no TPP at all.

• matrixfehler and DekarServerbot like this

kertitorpe

kertitorpe

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

What the hell? Two of my three favorite developers announced a first person-only RPG this year (the other is CD Project). I just need a Piranha Bytes FPS announcement to jump out of the window. It is still not a dealbreaker, I'm just disappointed.

• mkreku and matrixfehler like this

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3066 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
It’s tough subject. I generally prefer if game stick to one camera option and it well, but if FP camera makes you sick it is a completely fair request to implement one.

I don’t think Obsidian can afford implementing another camera option poorly, I have seen suggestions to implement out of combat camera only. I would be surprised if Obsidian would do that. Bunch of people will play the game, and if camera if wonky, it will be seen as a broken feature, not as an option for people who really really need it.

If it is possible at all, a good solution might be to make camera easily moddable - even if animations a wonky, or armours aren’t build to cover character character properly - something to allow community to add that feature, even poorly, without putting pressure on Obsidian to deliver a completely new way of playing the game.

I don’t know, it sucks. One thing I can be thankful for, I guess, is not having a motion sickness.

Undecaf

Undecaf

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 763 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I would just hope Obs adjusts the view and its functionality to be less rudimentary, and less like a simple commonplace first person shooter-looter.

Graavigala85

Graavigala85

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts

That is true! But the main character could be using same animations as the NPC characters do, now ofcourse it is not that simple, if it would be people would just do it themselves at home. But there is always hope to make it work at home and the fix, all though how janky it might be, is the medicine most of people who suffer from motion sickess need

matrixfehler

matrixfehler

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

I only signed in to cry out my disappointment about the decission to make a "1st Person-RPG"

That´s very sad, it´s a reason to skip that Game.

Please: ThirdPerson, optional! 

• DekarServerbot likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5071 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm okay with a first-person view, but I would really like the option to switch. Maybe add a "laser-sight mode" for shooting in the 3rd person. Thanks.

Bandy

Bandy

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts

Why, oh why start a new thread when there are 5 pages of posts on topic already?

https://forums.obsid...-person-camera/

Edited by Bandy, 12 December 2018 - 10:39 AM.

• Dartbord and SonicMage117 like this

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts

What the hell? Two of my three favorite developers announced a first person-only RPG this year (the other is CD Project). I just need a Piranha Bytes FPS announcement to jump out of the window. It is still not a dealbreaker, I'm just disappointed.

+1 for mentioning Piranha Bytes even though I disagree with you. More FPS for the people!

• Gorgon likes this

Loco998

Loco998

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts

Personal Problem.

lowdegger

lowdegger

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Steam:cz27

Indie dev studio makes game for people like me.

We buy game.

Indie dev studio is bought by multinational corporation.

We don't buy game.

Corporate financial officer comes up with explanation for lack of profit focusing on how too many people work at the subsidiary dev studio.

Meanwhile, different indie dev studio makes game for people like me, and the cycle continues.

Edited by lowdegger, 15 December 2018 - 03:42 PM.

• daven likes this

Dodo00d

Dodo00d

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 30 posts

It's not a first person shooter! it's an RPG with first person shooter mechanics.

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3066 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Indie dev studio makes game for people like me.

We buy game.

Indie dev studio is bought by multinational corporation.

We don't buy game.

Corporate financial officer comes up with explanation for lack of profit focusing on how too many people work at the subsidiary dev studio.

Meanwhile, different indie dev studio makes game for people like me, and the cycle continues.

So much stupid.

Microsoft acquisition has been recent, as far as the word goes they are still figuring things out, and Outer Worlds doesn't have anything to do with Microsoft. That project has been long on the making. Decision to limit camera options for purely FTP has been made by Obsidian due to budget limitations. Who knows, maybe with big backing of Microsoft it would have 3rd person view, just to match current "Bethesda" model. 

• Blodhemn, kanisatha, Dodo00d and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users