Obsidian must carry the torch

With the once great visage of Interplay gutted, dragged through the mud and nailed up on a stake for the vultures of corporate interests to pick on its intestines it is quickly becoming clear to me that Obsidian must be the torch bearer to re-ignite the next golden age in PC RPGing.

Dont get me wrong, Bethsaeda, Bioware and countless other studios make nice Role Playing games, however they do not have the gritty realism and the willingness to make games with Mature content. They also do not have the talent to create real living breathing game worlds. I dont know about the rest of the fine people here but I for one always thought that these game worlds needed something, that they had something missing. I think that if you guys would create an original-from scratch isometric RPG, that you might just have the biggest hit on your hands since Fallout.

The fine people at Trokia made a wonderful game but it fell far short of its true potential beacuase of balancing and coding issues.

I suppose Obsidian would be the only studio with the drive, talent and know-how to pull this off. And I hope to god that they do, beacuase I for one am NOT looking forward to KOTOR 2 or some other farmed out sequel (Unless it were Fallout and I dont think that will happen any time soon) I suppose my message would be, dont imitate, dont sell out and definitely dont get bought out.

What I am trying to say is that you the fine people at Obsidian carry the hopes, dreams and ambitions of a lot of old school RPGers. God spped and good luck!

-Drazzil

To hell with all you fallout fanboys, kotor 2 is gonna rock and kotor 2 is probably what they are making. So pipe down! No just kidding. But seriously, the first comment is a completely biased remark. He talks of a "farmed out sequel" and then inserts his own Fallout fanboy plug, thereby contradicting everything he just said.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb!

prostytutka

Just as long as KotOR 2 isn't their first game. I would like to see a good Cyberpunk CRPG someday.

I second that. Cyberpunk is a setting with a lot of potential that really hasn't been touched on too much. I dont' think I've ever seen a decent cyber punk title, but that is due to gameplay faults and not the setting itself.

the best cyberpunk game ever was shadowrun. such a great game.

i would love both a fallout and kotor sequel. they were both fantastic games. PC gamers don't give KOTOR a chance, passing it off as another 'crappy console RPG' and consolers do the same for fallout. which is stupid because anyone looking at it objectively will tell you that they are both fantastic games.

microsoft owns the rights to shadowrun. this is not to say that obsidian and microsoft could not work together, but...

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, Microsoft is working with Bioware. It wouldn't be that far of a stretch and Microsoft has been known to work with developers and just publish games. I will say this much, I rather see Obsidian publish under Microsoft than Atari or Electronic Arts.

if kotor2 is the game they is working on, then they won't be publishing under the atari or ea label, will they? not see how your complaints 'bout working on kotor2 would be significantly different than if obsidian were working on some other license... 'specially with microsoft.

again, is not impossible that microsoft and obsidian would team up

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

One scenario:

- IP gets BG licence from Atari

- Microsoft gets BG licence from IP

- Microsoft has OE finish Jefferson

- Microsoft lets OE create many nice and shiny crpgs for PC

- I go to the store and purchase 'The Black Hound'

- OE carries the torch

:)

[N]

To hell with all you fallout fanboys, kotor 2 is gonna rock and kotor 2 is probably what they are making. So pipe down! No just kidding. But seriously, the first comment is a completely biased remark. He talks of a "farmed out sequel" and then inserts his own Fallout fanboy plug, thereby contradicting everything he just said.

Yo, don't be dissin us raving lunatics becuz he duznt reprazent da fallout fan BASS! alzo i dunt want any trubble of u interpl@y fanboiz elze i be buztin sum hedz!!!1

CONPRENDAY?

>*

One scenario:

- IP gets BG licence from Atari

- Microsoft gets BG licence from IP

- Microsoft has OE finish Jefferson

- Microsoft lets OE create many nice and shiny crpgs for PC

- I go to the store and purchase 'The Black Hound'

- OE carries the torch

:rolleyes:

[N]

Another one:

- IP hates the bad media they get from cancelling Fallout 3

- IP just gives away the Fallout 3 for free to whoever is interested

- OE gets everything that was done for it

- OE finishes it for 2005

Dreams are my reality...

Another one:

- IP hates the bad media they get from cancelling Fallout 3

- IP just gives away the Fallout 3 for free to whoever is interested

- OE gets everything that was done for it

- OE finishes it for 2005

Dreams are my reality...

Ack, I almost forgot. It's not only the dark clouds of KoTR'ness that obscures my Bg3 dreams, it's the FO club's FO3 fantasies as well.

[N]

you all want sequels to some admittedly good games. i don't find that interesting. come up with something new, original, and everything will be just fine (if you do it right, that is).

if you produce a sequel to a game with a big fanbase, there will be complaints down to fireland... you won't be able to make everybody like your sequel, cause

a) it's not done by the same people that did the predecessor.

B) there will not enough / correct references to satisfy the real fanboys / -girls

c) a sequel won't be able to reproduce the exact same look & feel of the original game

d) etc.etc. ad infinitum

real fo fanboys had complaints about fo2. bg fans weren't happy with bg2. iwd 2 wasn't as cool as iwd1. eliteforce2 didn't evoke the beloved voyager feeling. just to name a few examples.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

about cyberpunk...anachronox...one great game...I think its cyberpunk...intense story...characters with a past, with past relations (comparable to pst)...and funny...a lot of mature (and some childish) humor...creative...the japanese (console) way of gameplay might be disturbing...but the rest...one of the greatest...

Hmm. Personally, I don't understand this kotor2 thingie, in my opinion kotor was a good game but it sure wasn't perfect one and frankly, I don't want to see sequel to that game. And secondly, why Obsidian has to contribute all of it's effort to make a sequel to the kotor? I mean, IF the game that they are developing really is kotor2, then imagine those thousands and thousands angry fanboys flaming these boards and saying something like "why they didn't they made the thing x like it was in kotor, why did they changed setting y, why did blah blah blah".

Me myself and I, we're hoping that whatever this project is, it will add something new to the RPG genre. Something original. Like FO did when it was released. I'm sure that plagiarism isn't the way that Obsidian boys want to follow. As always, I wish best luck to their project.

P.S Cyberpunk. Interesting. System Shock 1&2 anyone?

Well, when I mentioned BG3 I didn't mean another IE game in the Bhaal Spawn saga. That series (and that engine) should rest in peace. I was thinking of another game set in Forgotten Realms, top-angle view, 5-6 person party. A game with lots of roleplaying oportunities. Jefferson wasn't just going to be another BG3, it was definitely something new. *shrug*

[N]

Yo, don't be dissin us raving lunatics becuz he duznt reprazent da fallout fan BASS! alzo i dunt want any trubble of u interpl@y fanboiz elze i be buztin sum hedz!!!1

CONPRENDAY?

Sorry. I got a little worked up in my first sentence in my post. I will be more civil in the future. Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoyce!

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb!

prostytutka