What are the chances of a big expansion next year?

Just the name Watcher is boring. It feels so passive. Really, I am here to watch? that's all I do?  Don't i at least get to so something more interactive? At least winking or giving people long uncomfortable stares? anything really... I even rather be titled the Onanist, at least that means i am doing something.

They could set PoE3 in Old Vailia and change the protagonist to the Nasenale.

• Like 4

sign.jpg

How is it any worse than being called Nameless One or Warden?

I don't think it's any better or worse than Warden - both are solid 5-point nouned-verbs that are pleasing to the ear, easy to avoid in general dialog, and imply a sense of general mystery while fitting naturally as a pseudonym. But you've got to give "The Nameless One" credit for being both evocative and much more than just a nouned-verb title.

• Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I don't see any actual reasons. Just bad jokes. Here, I can do that too.

I don't have a name, but how is that possible, didn't my mom give me one? It's hard to fill an invoice like that :/ I should be called Unspecified Name instead, it sounds more menacing.

Why am I a "Warden", is it because I "ward" something, pretty sure I don't. They should just call me "Harden", it's more manly and has more room for magnificent puns!

See?

jokes aside, I really meant what i said.The name watcher seems to imply that our main role in this world is to observe what is around us. It sounds passive to me, and because of that it feels uninteresting. It could be just me, though. Maybe other people enjoy the name and don't feel the same way about it.

I'm not sure if it's just you but what are you are saying is making me wonder if you even played the (first) game? Our protagonist is called 'The Watcher' not because he watches what is "around us" but he specifically watches souls, i.e. he slips into people's souls and gets to read or interact with them in that way. There is quite a bit more to it than just standing around in some place and watching paint dry ;) .

I personally do not find it boring. To me, 'The Watcher' has a mysterious ring to it. I'm curious what certain people's souls might "say". I think it is a pretty cool character "name" on the same level as the mentioned "Nameless One" which is also making you curious about the guy's fate (why's he nameless? what's his story? how did he end up w/o a name?).

That said, without having finished PoE 2 yet, I do not necessarily "need" more games featuring 'The Watcher'. It's not a role I can grow attached to. I'm pretty indifferent towards the guy. I would not mind playing a different character for a PoE 3 or an expansion.

If it were up to me... well, I've never been a huge fan of divine interventions and divine mingling because near almighty, powerful gods always water down the actions of "us" (i.e. our player characters) mere mortals. So, if it were up to me, for the next story in the PoE universe the gods would leave the PoE world and we would be experiencing a rather mundane plot with politics, corruption, assassinations, clerical vs. secular power games, (civil) war, medieval plagues like the Black Death etc.  ... think 'The Witcher' which has also had rather earthly, mundane plots throughout the whole series instead of heroic save the world tales with divine interventions.

Edited by Moriendor

Good thing they than Deadfire expanded on Watcher’s titles: Captain/casita/Herald of Berath.

Personally I prefer if characters would use the name I picked, but with much voice acting standard titles are a must. Still some bonus points to referring to my character by name in written text.

• Like 3

In my experience, things like the dialogue wheel come from an attitude in the industry to crank out games with less work and quality in less time, and there are an increasing number of RPGs with similar dumbed down and less reactive systems.

That doesn't mean that those game are 100% bad or can't be good, but a lot is lost when you take away more in-depth conversations with variant options that have *actually* different thoughts and questions.

E.g. In Fallout 1/2, Pillars 1, and Deadfire (in some cases), I don't automatically know what the 'diplomatic' option is or what the right thing to say is. Sometimes there *isn't* something I can say that will fix the problem and often I can seriously **** up a delicate situation. In Fallout 4 or Mass Effect I know immediately what the diplomatic option is and what the murder-everyone option is. And there's rarely any option between the two.

• Like 7

Good thing they than Deadfire expanded on Watcher’s titles: Captain/casita/Herald of Berath.

Personally I prefer if characters would use the name I picked, but with much voice acting standard titles are a must. Still some bonus points to referring to my character by name in written text.

A way to hear the character's name would be to offer a few options of names based on the culture, like Aldwyn, Durnisc, Ancelle, Malita, etc. If you picked one of these options (that are based on the in-game languages) they would have been recorded and would be used in the dialogues.

Edit: you can see a list of names here

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Personal_names

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 2

sign.jpg

A way to hear the character's name would be to offer a few options of names based on the culture, like Aldwyn, Durnisc, Ancelle, Malita, etc. If you picked one of these options (that are based on the in-game languages) they would have been recorded and would be used in the dialogues.

Edit: you can see a list of names here

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Personal_names

That's a really cool idea! It lets you have the option and encourages roleplay.

• Like 1