Building a new Marauder from scratch (Stats, Abilities, and tentative equipment) - Heavy WIP

Hey guys, 

So, after finishing my pro-Huana game, I really wanted to do a pro-Principi game, but was having a lot of trouble coming up with a character concept that really fit the idea of a swashbuckling pirate, the menace of the high seas, the terror of the Deadfire. So, I tried a couple of different Rogue and Barbarian multiclasses until knownastherat suggested I try Marauder. 

Now, full disclosure, I'd tried Marauder before. I progressed pretty far, but always ran into a few problems with them. Needing to mantain flanked or bloodied, playing melee without being able to see the character's health, and a lack of party support from another tanky MC made the first few levels a chore. However, now that I know how to go about getting Nemnok's Cloak fairly early, I feel like I can do a much better job of keeping such a character alive and, thus, able to maintain the kind of damage they deserve to be doing. 

This is going to just be the stat block, skills, and equipment for now while I hash out feedback. 

Stats:

Might: 22 (15 Base +1 Human +1 GotM +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Permanent Stat Boost +2 Woedica's Strangling Grasp) 

Con: 17 (13 Base +1 Effigy's Resentment (Durance) +1 Chameleon's Touch +2 Berath's Blessing)

Dexterity: 13 (9 Base +1 Deadfire Archipelago +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Chameleon's Touch) 

Perception: 20 (18 Base +2 Berath's Blessing)

Intellect: 20 (17 Base +1 Strand of Favor +2 Berath's Blessing)

Resolve: 6 (3 Base +1 Human +2 Berath's Blessing) 

As much as I really don't like dropping Resolve, for thematic reasons (I'm trying to play a ferocious pirate captain here, so being "Timid" strikes me as kind of out of character. I've considered variants that'd give me a higher Resolve, but I can't really do that without tanking my Perception/Intellect - both of which are super important for this build. I could drop my Might all the way down to 3 - up to 10 with all buffs factored in, and then to 15 with Frenzy, to get 18 Resolve for dialogue checks, but that seems extreme for something that's only worthwhile for a roleplay context. 

I suppose what I could do is just say that the character understands when discretion is the better part of valor, and isn't afraid to run from a fight he can't win. So he's not Chaotic Stupid. But then there are a few Resolve checks that are pretty cool to pass. 

Dexterity can stay fairly low (In fact, it might work lower), because of a couple of things. One, with the weapon I plan to make most use of, I have a 10% chance to get Lightning Strikes on crit (That's +5 Dexterity there). Second, the sheer volume of Recovery Reduction and Action Speed this build already has more or less means I don't have to worry too much about getting it from stats. 

Abilities:

Level 1 - Frenzy/Crippling Strike

Level 2 - Blooded
Level 3 - Escape
Level 4 - Barbaric Blow/Two-Handed Style
Level 5 - Thick-Skinned
Level 6 - Blinding Strike
Level 7 - Finishing Blow/Combat Focus
Level 8 - Bloodlust
Level 9 - Bloody Slaughter
Level 10 - Spirit Frenzy/Persistent Distraction

Level 11 - Gouging Strike

Level 12 - Savage Defiance

Level 13 - Barbaric Smash/Deep Wounds
Level 14 - Devastating Blow
Level 15 - Interrupting Blows
Level 16 - Withering Strike/Brute Force
Level 17 - Tough
Level 18 - Perishing Strike
Level 19 - Deathblows/Blood Thirst
Level 20 - Spirit Tornado

Abilities are more or less set, barring a few potential changes. This offers a very nice, cheap, attack ability early on in the game in Crippling Strike, followed by Barbaric Blow > Barbaric Smash and Finishing Blow > Devastating Blow for execution strikes. Toxic Strike is there for a Constitution Affliction. 

This build gives access to Dexterity, Might, Resolve, Perception, and Constitution afflictions through different means. 

Potential Team: 

This build fills the AoE nuker role. 

Eder - Main Tank

Rekke - Off-Tank (For the specific moments with him in the DLC)

Ydwin or Serafen - Single target damage and Defensive Mindweb.

Xoti - Healer (Replace with Vatnir later)

Skills focused on: Stealth (Until Nemnok's Cloak is stolen, then retrain/split between Stealth and Mechanics), Insight and Intimidate with a little bit of Streetwise. Skills are flexible in general, depending on what's needed for the situation. 

Equipment: 

Weapons: (Primary) Lord Darryn's Voulge - A heck of a fun AoE weapon to use, and the big reason why this build is called the "Stormbringer." Carnage AoE spreads the procs of the Shock damage effect around, and Barbarian/Rogue's utterly insane hit-to-crit ensures the blasts go off with relative frequency. It's stuck at Superb quality, but Persistent Distraction and Terrified (From Spirit Tornado) help to reduce enemy Accuracy enough that that shouldn't be an issue. Frenzy and Barbaric Blow together give +4 Pen, and there's food you can make for even more if that's an issue. 

(Secondary) Other weapons - Modwyr and Duskfall are always fun, or Modwyr and Rust's Poignard (For extra DoT). Estocs, if you want to stick with two-handers, are good for single-target damage against enemies not immune to Pierce damage. Really, this build is pretty flexible in terms of weapon choices. Lord Darryn's Voulge is just my personal favorite after discovering the synergy. 

Armor: Devil of Caroc Breastplate for an easy way to get rid of the Confusion from Frenzy or, if trying to get rid of it through food or drugs, Reckless Brigandine - Action speed for each enemy engaged and an extra engagement (With the Pollaxe modal, that's 6 total). DoC Breastplate has a Recovery reduction bonus and gives +2 Rage/Guile though. Since Rogue doesn't have any sort of Guile refresh in the first seven PLs, and Barbaric Smash only refunds on kill, resource economy is super important.

Helm: Helm of the Falcon: I hear it's been nerfed quite a bit, but it does give Hit-to-Graze from ranged weapons, which is nice, and a Recovery bonus to using two-handed weapons, which this build is obviously intended for. There's other options though. Defiant Apparel - comes early on and gives resistance to Perception afflictions. Can be used for a quick downgrade from Blinded to Disoriented when coupled with Chill Fog from a Wizard. 

Neck: Strand of Favor - Improved duration to your beneficial effects and it reduces hostile effect durations. 

Cloak: Cloak of Greater Protection until you can steal Nemnok's Cloak (Which should be manageable as early as you can get the Bounding Boots). 

Gloves: Woedica's Strangling Grasp - Paralysis per rest and +3 Burn AR. 

Rings: Chameleon's Touch and Voidward (To help with the Raw damage over time from Frenzy, which scales with Might and PL). 

Belt: Upright Captain's Belt - Concentration for free and immunity to push/pull effects, meaning I can further CC enemies by using Pull of Eora grenades. 

Boots: Boots of the Stone, then upgrade to Rakhan Field Boots later on. 

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Getting sick and tired of seeing my build posts yet? This is looking like it's going to be my last one, and I know I've said that 100 times already. But now that I know I can get one of the most essential pieces for it way earlier than expected, it's actually looking like it's going to be true, this time. 

Edited by Cyrus_Blackfeather

Marauder is OP. Early game is difficult because you don't have all the shiny stuff you get later but with -50% recovery + dual wield + frenzy + lots of crits you deal an absurd amount of damage. I got bored with a marauder gameplay where I had Eder as a swashbuckler in a similar way. Eder was 2nd rank of dmg dealing with 15k done. My character had 115k. I had Modwyr + whatever you want in your second hand.

Don't pick one stand alone. It's a trap for this build.

Marauder is OP. Early game is difficult because you don't have all the shiny stuff you get later but with -50% recovery + dual wield + frenzy + lots of crits you deal an absurd amount of damage. I got bored with a marauder gameplay where I had Eder as a swashbuckler in a similar way. Eder was 2nd rank of dmg dealing with 15k done. My character had 115k. I had Modwyr + whatever you want in your second hand.

Don't pick one stand alone. It's a trap for this build.

This is clearly a balancing issue with the game if you got to this point

The game is not balanced properly in the last half. Im hoping they fix it in the next patch

Edited by Teclis23

Why's One Stands Alone a trap? It just makes it so you require a third engaged enemy to be Flanked, right? I can't see anything that seems worth replacing it with, except maybe Combat Focus (Can you stack sources of Concentration?)

Yeah additional enemy to get flanked and it "only" offers +20% IIRC damage, which is minor in the grand scheme of things (might, legendary, Rogue + SF bonus, etc.)

Why's One Stands Alone a trap? It just makes it so you require a third engaged enemy to be Flanked, right? I can't see anything that seems worth replacing it with, except maybe Combat Focus (Can you stack sources of Concentration?)

Yeah additional enemy to get flanked and it "only" offers +20% IIRC damage, which is minor in the grand scheme of things (might, legendary, Rogue + SF bonus, etc.)

And infinite red hand bonus if u need more dmg :p

I'd use the Deadfire Apparel hat for Perception Resistance. So that when you're hit by Blind, it becomes downgraded to Disoriented and you don't loose additional 10 Accuracy. Then you can freely cast Chill Fog on top on the monster group/Marauder and trigger Heating Up - Flanked or not. It's Fortitude based, but you'll probably fail on a pulse eventually - and the effect duration is very long.

Disoriented is supposed to cost you recovery speed as well, but it seemed buggy in my tests and generally I seemed to be attacking just as fast.

For that reason (or other Perception debuffs, like Blunderbuss Powder Burns, enemies casting one of the 4? blinding spells or the Rogue blinding ability), I'd not pick Slippery Mind on that character. 

Personally, I'd probably prioritize Devastating Blow before Tough.

And not sure about Withering/Toxic Strike. If you plan to have other rogues in your party, perhaps they would be better suited to spread the DoTs with some aoe weapon (mortars, rod blast, Spirit Lance, WotEP).

Marauder would probably kill rapidly and not worry about single target DoTs (with high resource cost) much... or maybe I'm mistaken.

Edited by Haplok

Because the point of the build is to be flanked. From +20% recovery to -50% there is a 70% bonus you're losing.

Edited by indika_tates

A look at a variant designed to give me higher Resolve for dialogue tests. 

Stats:

Might: 15 (8 Base +1 Human +1 GotM +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Permanent Stat Boost +2 Woedica's Strangling Grasp) 

Con: 15 (12 Base +1 Chameleon's Touch +2 Berath's Blessing)

Dexterity: 10 (5 Base +1 Boots of the Stone +1 Deadfire Archipelago +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Chameleon's Touch) 

Resolve: 20 (15 Base +1 Nalvi +1 Resolve +1 Human +2 Berath's Blessing) 

High Might isn't really needed for a Streetfighter multi. This also allows for a no-frills way to get the Woedica mace. Also, the difference between 10 Dexterity and 13 Dexterity is literally a few tenths of a second, so that gives me three extra points to play with. 

I thought you wanted to do aoe damage with Lord Darryn's Voulge and Carnage? If so, Might is pretty much the only thing that modifies those (and Power Level in case of Carnage at least).

You don't want to dump Might if you want to rely on Voulge's Static Charge or Engoliero's Ghost Blades or Oathbreaker's DoT.

And isn't something like Boltcatchers gloves better for melee damage - and style?

Note that difference in Dexterity is only minor once you get the bonuses rolling. When you have trouble getting Flanked/Blooded, before you score the first kill, or in a fight  vs a single strong enemy it might be good not to act slowly like moleasses.

Edited by Haplok

Stats:

Might: 15 (8 Base +1 Human +1 GotM +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Permanent Stat Boost +2 Woedica's Strangling Grasp)

Dexterity: 10 (5 Base +1 Boots of the Stone +1 Deadfire Archipelago +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Chameleon's Touch)

High Might isn't really needed for a Streetfighter multi. This also allows for a no-frills way to get the Woedica mace. Also, the difference between 10 Dexterity and 13 Dexterity is literally a few tenths of a second, so that gives me three extra points to play with.

Actually marauder really can get away with DUMPING might. The reason is twofold:

1) you get a ton of other weapon damage bonuses that are additive.

2) high might means more frenzy raw damage on yourself.

You also get 5 might from frenzy. My marauder with no blessings looks like this:

Mig 5

Con 18

Dex 10

Per 18

Int 13

Res 14

If I'm using blessings, human for bloodied synergy:

Mig 6 (3 + 1 racial + 2 blessing)

Con 20

Dex 10

Per 20

Int 15

Res 18

These stats are just base + racial + blessing

While a ton of int helps barbarians, I feel you can get away with a lot less and still feel quite effective vs groups. For one thing you will eventually get resistance to int afflictions, so your carnage radius won't get penalized by frenzy and the extra 5 int won't be missed once you get geared or proper food.

Constitution is something that you really want a ton of for a maurauder. 25 with frenzy is going to make it WAY easier to stay alive during frenzy . Coupled with having only 11 might under frenzy and voidward, higher level self raw damage is much easier to live through.

It's bad enough that frenzy gets a power level bonus (penalty), dont feed that with more might. Go as LOW as you can tolerate being s wimpy warrior ;)

I thought you wanted to do aoe damage with Lord Darryn's Voulge and Carnage? If so, Might is pretty much the only thing that modifies those (and Power Level in case of Carnage at least).

You don't want to dump Might if you want to rely on Voulge's Static Charge or Engoliero's Ghost Blades or Oathbreaker's DoT.

And isn't something like Boltcatchers gloves better for melee damage - and style?

Note that difference in Dexterity is only minor once you get the bonuses rolling. When you have trouble getting Flanked/Blooded, before you score the first kill, or in a fight  vs a single strong enemy it might be good not to act slowly like moleasses.

Boltcatchers would be better for damage overall, honestly. And style too. Just hope the Steel Preacher isn't too hard to deal with mid game. 

As for the Dexterity thing, it's worth noting that Frenzy from the Barbarian essentially lets you take the Streetfighter penalty on the chin until you can activate the bonus. If you don't have ANY of those benefits active then, yes, you'll move much slower. But it also takes upwards of 20 Dexterity to negate the penalty without any other buffs, and I'm not sure how I'd manage that. 

Stats:

Actually marauder really can get away with DUMPING might. The reason is twofold:

You also get 5 might from frenzy. My marauder with no blessings looks like this:

Mig 5

Con 18

Dex 10

Per 18

Int 13

Res 14

Con 20

Dex 10

Per 20

Int 15

Res 18

While a ton of int helps barbarians, I feel you can get away with a lot less and still feel quite effective vs groups. For one thing you will eventually get resistance to int afflictions, so your carnage radius won't get penalized by frenzy and the extra 5 int won't be missed once you get geared or proper food.

Constitution is something that you really want a ton of for a maurauder. 25 with frenzy is going to make it WAY easier to stay alive during frenzy . Coupled with having only 11 might under frenzy and voidward, higher level self raw damage is much easier to live through.

It's bad enough that frenzy gets a power level bonus (penalty), dont feed that with more might. Go as LOW as you can tolerate being s wimpy warrior ;)

You bring up a good point. The problem with that is, as Haplok mentioned, that Might is the only thing that modifies the various damage from Carnage and the Shock damage from Lord Darryn's Voulge, which are both parts of the build. Boltcatchers too, now, since I want to go for the Stormbringer theme. 

Updated stats, taking gear changes into account

Might: 20 (15 Base +1 Human +1 GotM +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Permanent Stat Boost) 

Con: 20 (16 Base +1 Upright Captain's Belt +1 Chameleon's Touch +2 Berath's Blessing)

Dexterity: 10 (6 Base +1 Deadfire Archipelago +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Chameleon's Touch) 

That's 25 Might and 25 Con with Frenzy active. High Intellect is there mostly for dialogue - it and Perception are the most frequently checked stats. 

Surprised to see that you pump Resolve that high. Everyone seems to say it's useless for Barbarian since your Deflection is going to be tanked anyway. 

Boltcatchers would be better for damage overall, honestly. And style too. Just hope the Steel Preacher isn't too hard to deal with mid game. 

As for the Dexterity thing, it's worth noting that Frenzy from the Barbarian essentially lets you take the Streetfighter penalty on the chin until you can activate the bonus. If you don't have ANY of those benefits active then, yes, you'll move much slower. But it also takes upwards of 20 Dexterity to negate the penalty without any other buffs, and I'm not sure how I'd manage that. 

Stats:

Mig 5

Con 18

Dex 10

Per 18

Int 13

Res 14

Con 20

Dex 10

Per 20

Int 15

Res 18

You bring up a good point. The problem with that is, as Haplok mentioned, that Might is the only thing that modifies the various damage from Carnage and the Shock damage from Lord Darryn's Voulge, which are both parts of the build. Boltcatchers too, now, since I want to go for the Stormbringer theme. 

Updated stats, taking gear changes into account

Might: 20 (15 Base +1 Human +1 GotM +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Permanent Stat Boost) 

Con: 19 (16 Base +1 Chameleon's Touch +2 Berath's Blessing)

Dexterity: 10 (6 Base +1 Deadfire Archipelago +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Chameleon's Touch) 

That's 25 Might and 24 Con with Frenzy active. High Intellect is there mostly for dialogue - it and Perception are the most frequently checked stats. 

Surprised to see that you pump Resolve that high. Everyone seems to say it's useless for Barbarian since your Deflection is going to be tanked anyway. 

Then you should use Lord DV only against many mobs. Full Attack on dualwield will ever outperform a 2H weapon in it's current state.