Im noticing that alot of the two handed unique weapons have a reduced PEN?

This is insane as alot of them are rendered not really usable because of this

You aquire these items late game and you need high pen

For example the oathbreakers end 2h battleaxe has a base pen of 7 (+3 for superb ) for a total of 10. This is not really any good to me when you consider i have had to give up either a shield or another weapon in the off hand to use it

The great sword called "Effort" is the same. Im finding alot of other unique 2 handers with low pen aswell.

at the moment all there good for is low tier trash mobs and you have to switch over to higher pen items for even medium difficulty battles

This is has to be an oversight or a mistake 

• Like 1

Yeah they’re all pretty terrible, relegated to “use it for flavor” mostly.

Citzal's spirit lance is about the only one really worth using and it’s a spell...even then only on the cheesy sage that spams monk cc non stop via shattered pillar wound generation.

Citzal's spirit lance is about the only one really worth using and it’s a spell...even then only on the cheesy sage that spams monk cc non stop via shattered pillar wound generation.

Even that was nerfed since only auto-attacks generate wounds now for Shattered Pillar.

Spirit Lance is still good for a bunch of builds for a bunch of reasons, but it also doesn't come in until level 13.

Well a spellblade would probably want both one weapon and two handed style for hand mortar, then blights, and finally citzals. The character would have an aoe affliction option from like level 4 or 5. Respec at level 13 if you dont want to keep using blights.

Not getting citzals until that late is really not that bad if your goal is abusing the aoe afflictions

Edited by arkane83

Penetration is fixed by weapon type. Currently all swords and two handed swords are inferior to other one handers and two handers in terms of penetration. The difference between best and worst base penetration is a mere +3 within each type of wielding (1H, 2H, or ranged). This shouldn't be a significant problem for you unless you are playing POTD.

6 sword, R blunderbuss, R hunting bow, R rod

7 dagger, battle axe, club, flail, hatchet, rapier, sabre, spear, 2H great sword,  R pistol, R wand

8 war hammer, 2H pike, 2H quarterstaff, R war bow, R sceptre

9 mace, stiletto, 2H morning star, 2H pollaxe, R arquebus, R crossbow, R arbalest

10 2H estoc

If you are going to be using weapons with low base penetration when playing POTD, it is highly recommended to include penetration buffs and/or armour debuffs in your arsenal. A chanter is probably the easiest way to consistently apply such.

EDIT: I hadn't updated my list to account for 1.2's increase to 2H penetration. Now fixed.

Edited by pi2repsion

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

Just compare the 1H/2H weapons that have the same advantages:

Sword/Great Sword: dual damage, higher base --> Great Sword gets +1 PEN

War Hammer/Morning Star: dual damage, medium base --> MS +1 PEN

Stiletto/Estoc: higher PEN, single damage type, lower base --> Estoc +1 PEN

Battle Axe/Two handed Battle Axe: medium base, single damage type, higher crit dmg --> ???

The +1 of all two handers (see how they behave compared to their one-handed variants in terms of game mechanics) was added because the higher base damage alone was not sufficient to balance them with dual wielding, +shield or one handed wielding. This was discussed here in length prior to 1.2 and it seems that Obsidian listened and chenged it in 1.2. Which is great.

Now, with that in mind it is obvious to me that Obsidian simply forgot to put +1 PEN on the Oathbreaker's End.

But on the other two handers it seems to be just fine now? Can't see how they have too low PEN...?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods