Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How does one become video game writer?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Melusina

Melusina

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Steam:Sorceress
  • Deadfire Backer

I have no video game making skills of any kind, but I did publish short story last year in local magazine. I'm Croatian.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10762 posts
  • Steam:Tale
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Most game writers I see are established writers from other mediums that are hired for writing or they're developers and designers in their own right. You can learn skills to make games, especially simple ones, or for working on mods.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8849 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I have no video game making skills of any kind, but I did publish short story last year in local magazine. I'm Croatian.

Two most likely routes are to become an established writer and then use your status to connect with a studio, or learn at least basic development skills so you can create your own work. There are lots of tools out there that require little coding.

RPGMaker is an easy way to get comfortable with making a game, and has a fair amount of flexibility to implement a story. Probably a good starting point.
  • Gizmo and rjshae like this

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3706 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Making mods is the best start, I guess. You'll develop a portfolio and you can show what you're actually capable of.

• Gizmo and rjshae like this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2983 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'd also suggest mods or modules for games that have toolsets

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3724 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Can you get me your president's phone number?

• Bill Gates' Son likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4923 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Making mods is the best start, I guess. You'll develop a portfolio and you can show what you're actually capable of.

You can also try working with modder projects to write interesting interactions for their conversations. I suspect that few modders make good writers, although I have seen one or two. Perhaps another approach is to offer to provide a language conversion for a recent game release.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2168 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
There are an infinite number of ways to become a writer for a great game. Sometimes it doesn't take as much effort as many would think.

For example, you'd be surprised at how many writers for the biggest AAA games of now were just writing in a basement 7 years ago for a one man Rpg-maker project. With more and more games following the bleak lore-style inspired by souls games, it makes it much more accessible to be a writer in the industry as well.

If you are included in a project that you know there won't be a sequel or prequel to, it enables one to out less effort into the backside of lore while still making it in-depth and quality. So there's a few pointers.

ShadySands

ShadySands

• Members
  • 2983 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Don't know if you saw the last Deadfire stream but they go into how the Narrative Designer got started

https://youtu.be/3uPpWEYeYgY?t=703

ShadySands

ShadySands

• Members
  • 2983 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

To give you a better reference for the advice you've gotten in this thread is a bunch of links from the Dev Corner (and Obs blogs) where actual devs have responded

There are quite a few links so I spoilered it

Edited by ShadySands, 19 July 2018 - 09:40 AM.

• TrueNeutral, Katphood and Melusina like this

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2241 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I wish I could make myself an Isometroc turn-based RPG with guns n stuff but yeah, I lack the skills as well. :(

I once started doing conecpt arts so I could try to imagine how different towns would look like but my drawing skills aren't the best. Don't have any coding experience either so I just dropped the whole thing.

The only thing I still have a wee bit hope for is making my own graphic adventure game.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9161 posts

Wouldn't a writer in pretty much any other business make a lot more money?

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5657 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Probably. Thats why we dont see MonteCarlo around any more. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users