New Scientific Discoveries, Part Drei

Blarghagh

23 minutes ago, rjshae said:

New result from the LHCb experiment challenges leading theory in physics

Here's the paper:

Test of lepton universality in beauty-quark decays

They're now at the 3.1 sigma significance level, but need to reach 5 sigma to be considered definitive.

I think the people at CERN are all convinced the Standard Model is not the answer to the universe, but it will have to be a stop-gap measure until they work out how the universe works in more detail... or blow up Earth in the process 😝

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

57 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I think the people at CERN are all convinced the Standard Model is not the answer to the universe, but it will have to be a stop-gap measure until they work out how the universe works in more detail... or blow up Earth in the process 😝

Don't worry. It will all be revealed. With a new and bigger particle accelerator.

sign.jpg

^Imo, the military is at least a generation ahead of civilian in relation to technology, so they are all of terrestrial origin and are simply advanced technology.

A different topic, but my mind is blown to realize that the Suez Canal has earthen banks instead of concrete! Also no land tugs or anything? Ships are just "free sailing" through there? Madness! That would be a great place to sink a full cargo ship and really booger things up for a while.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

A different topic, but my mind is blown to realize that the Suez Canal has earthen banks instead of concrete! Also no land tugs or anything? Ships are just "free sailing" through there? Madness! That would be a great place to sink a full cargo ship and really booger things up for a while.

That the Suez Canal could be blocked by sinking a ship in it has been widely discussed for years among international security circles, myself included. And btw, the same holds for the Straights of Hormuz, the Straights of Gibraltar, and (to a lesser extent) the Malacca Straights.

Also, yes the Canal has sand banks. If you read the details of the 1973 Yom Kippur War you will see what a big deal the Canal's earthen embankments were in that war. :)

3 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

^Imo, the military is at least a generation ahead of civilian in relation to technology, so they are all of terrestrial origin and are simply advanced technology.

I'm not saying it's aliens at all but that it seems so far beyond any known UAVs that it's pretty incredible. And if it's not us, as in the US, then it's also pretty scary.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

2 hours ago, kanisatha said:

That the Suez Canal could be blocked by sinking a ship in it has been widely discussed for years among international security circles, myself included. And btw, the same holds for the Straights of Hormuz, the Straights of Gibraltar, and (to a lesser extent) the Malacca Straights.

Have you ever been to the Straights of Gibraltar? That would be one ginormous ship.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I'm not saying it's aliens at all but that it seems so far beyond any known UAVs that it's pretty incredible. And if it's not us, as in the US, then it's also pretty scary.

I agree, I hope theyre our too. Just in case you havent seen the technology yet, the X-59  is designed to fly at supersonic speeds while producing little to no sonic boom. I dont think this it what were seeing in the various UFO videos that the military has released, but kinda cool.

Multiple Destroyers Were Swarmed By Mysterious 'Drones' Off California Over Numerous Nights.

Due to the location and incredible performance of the drones, these are almost certainly ours. Maybe operating completely on AI? Otherwise, wtf, dont our ships have radio jammers?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Multiple Destroyers Were Swarmed By Mysterious 'Drones' Off California Over Numerous Nights.

Due to the location and incredible performance of the drones, these are almost certainly ours. Maybe operating completely on AI? Otherwise, wtf, dont our ships have radio jammers?

<star trek>Nobody had a Beastie Boys CD with 'Sabotage' on it handy</star trek>

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

8 hours ago, ShadySands said:

If Cmdr. Fravor description is correct, then someone made a major breakthrough. Instantaneous acceleration with no exhaust or sonic booms. It might as well be a warp drive. Not sure if it could be a hologram, since it appears on radar and infrared cameras.

If it is human, then based on military budget I think it is almost certainly from the US. But then, why all this "Disclosure" thing going on, having Senators and military personnel saying it could be aliens? Just fly your new toys near other countries and show them who is top dog.

sign.jpg

13 minutes ago, rjshae said:

Alien UFO reports make a useful cover story when the military is testing new technology.

Yes, this is very plausible. I even mentioned it in this thread before.

I imagine it was like this: that military guy from Roswell announced an alien ship crashed. Then they corrected it but saw how some people reacted to it. They noticed how easy it was to spread a conspiracy theory and have been doing it for decades.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

I mean everyone steals technology when they can, the US has done it plenty of times, even to it's allies. That doesn't really matter to the question who does it the best currently. I am under the impression that China is a world leader when drones are concerned.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

My jaw would be suitable slack if they somehow flew them across the Pacific to harass destroyers off the California coast, but I doubt it. But I cant give a hard no either. :shrugz: Maybe you will find out soon? China affirms strong Serbia ties on defense tour of east Europe.

But judging from their long flight time and ability to swarm and navigate in poor weather (AI?), I think its a local job.

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

My jaw would be suitable slack if they somehow flew them across the Pacific to harass destroyers off the California coast, but I doubt it. But I cant give a hard no either. :shrugz: Maybe you will find out soon? China affirms strong Serbia ties on defense tour of east Europe.

But judging from their long flight time and ability to swarm and navigate in poor weather (AI?), I think its a local job.

I don't really get the picture, but we are negotiating some drones and anti-air equipment. As to whose drones were flying over the destroyers I have no idea, I just don't share your opinion of US drone supremacy.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

On 3/27/2021 at 11:44 AM, rjshae said:

Have you ever been to the Straights of Gibraltar? That would be one ginormous ship.

Hehe. :)

The idea would be to use multiple ships. And also given the shallow depths of the shipping channels of these waterways, a ship sinking to the bottom can still be a nasty obstacle to an unwary vessel.

The Strait of Gibraltar is several hundred metres deep, at its shallowest. If it was easy to block the Germans would have done so in WW2, but it's even hard to mine successfully due to its very strong current. The Strait of Hormuz is also 4 miles wide, at its narrowest. The dangers of Straits being blocked is almost always due to hostile action rather than physical blocking, unless you're talking about chains across rivers.

(Blockships used for 'offensive' action are notoriously ineffective, per the Zeebrugge/ Ostend raid that had no material effect on U Boat movements or the repeated Japanese attempts to block Port Arthur in the Russo-Japanese War. They weren't even that effective when used for defensive purposes. Getting a supership broadship on in a canal is a best/ worst case scenario, but it kind of relies on it being done in peacetime. The Egyptians may not be the best military in existence, but someone deliberately trying to block the Canal with a ship in times of war would not have an easy time either unless they already controlled its ends, in which case it's already effectively blocked. Far easier to especially mine it, shell it, use anti ship missiles or planes...)