I've run across a few Plagued Ships before and I've been able to help them in the past (though sometimes running the risk of getting plagued in return).  But I just ran across a new one for me, and I haven't been able to figure out how to help them.

Namely, I ran across a ship that was suffering from "gut rot".  The only options I have to deal with them, after finding out what they're ailed by are to:

1) Say that "our medical supplies are limited" we don't have any way to help.

2) Steal and loot them since they're defenseless. (Cruel AND Aggressive).

3) Tell them that there is nothing we can do and be on our way.

What I'm wondering is if there is some sort of Party Member present/some item in inventory or stash that triggers an option to help the poor sailors out.  

Sure, I could just ignore them.  But I'm being mostly a nice guy on most of my runs and it irks slightly to not have a way to help them. 

So basically asking if anyone knows how to "solve" the gut rot version of the Plagued Ship scenario other than just leave them to their fate or raid them.

• Like 1

Huh. I got that one and was able to solve it the same way as the others, by bringing the sickest one aboard. Are you low on medical supplies by any chance? Or is your surgeon unslotted? Who are you using in the surgeon slot?

Edited by Tarlonniel
  • Like 1

Huh. I got that one and was able to solve it the same way as the others, by bringing the sickest one aboard. Are you low on medical supplies by any chance? Or is your surgeon unslotted? Who are you using in the surgeon slot?

Originally had 34/200.  Went back and redid it with 200/200 with still no luck.

I currently have Big Mouth as my Surgeon.  I DID mod him so he can be a Master Surgeon though.

*thinks*

That really couldn't be it, could it?

*swaps him with Shieldsister Daelia*

Huh.  Now it works.  I get the option to help them out.

Either Big Mouth isn't able to help them out **OR** being a Master Surgeon is unexpected by the game since the most you can get in an unmodded game is three ranks in Surgeon.

That's really weird.  Wonder if I should report it as a bug.  Seems like it is one.

Anyway, thanks for the help. :)

• Like 1

Someone else mentioned having the same problem with the plague ships when Big Mouth was in that slot, which is why I asked :thumbsup:

If Big Mouth can't solve a simple thing like diarrhea gut rot, I DO NOT want to know how he is accelerating the healing when he is supposedly a 3 rank surgeon!   :o   :o   :o  

---

Thanks for the help.  :thumbsup:   If I ever run around with Big Mouth unmodded and I run into the same issue, I'll submit a bug report about it as that's probably Not As Intended (especially since he can cure the gut rot if it infects the player's ship).

• Like 1

Someone else mentioned having the same problem with the plague ships when Big Mouth was in that slot, which is why I asked :thumbsup:

If Big Mouth can't solve a simple thing like diarrhea gut rot, I DO NOT want to know how he is accelerating the healing when he is supposedly a 3 rank surgeon!   :o   :o   :o  

---

Thanks for the help.  :thumbsup:   If I ever run around with Big Mouth unmodded and I run into the same issue, I'll submit a bug report about it as that's probably Not As Intended (especially since he can cure the gut rot if it infects the player's ship).

Well in all fairness just because somebody can set a bone or stitch a wound doesn't mean they necessarily know how to diagnose and treat an infectious disease.

• Like 2

I have never been able to help a plague ship. Always have full med supplies and a surgeon.

Big Mouth doesn't intervene in all of the vignettes relating to surgeons overall because of his Wilder trait. If you want your surgeons to participate in events, it can't be a Wilder.

Can you explain that? Wilders never help anyone?

nvAeseu.png

They just don't participate in any scripted events. Might be because they don't even talk Aedyran so it would be hard to write their dialogue?

I have never been able to help a plague ship. Always have full med supplies and a surgeon.

Me too. I never had s spyglass with me (where do you buy it by the way?) so most of the time I would just play it cautious, leave the ship be and sail away. But when I did come aboard, I would only find corpses. 

• Like 2

They just don't participate in any scripted events. Might be because they don't even talk Aedyran so it would be hard to write their dialogue?

Me too. I never had s spyglass with me (where do you buy it by the way?) so most of the time I would just play it cautious, leave the ship be and sail away. But when I did come aboard, I would only find corpses. 

I have spyglasses. Now sure how though (looted in Deadlight?). The script just always informs me I cannot help. It might be because of Big Mouth, but I'm pretty sure it's happened before I recruit him too. Also, I'm pretty sure Mother Sharprock has been featured to some extent in scripted interactions, and Birta is listed as wilder, but talks.

nvAeseu.png

If you use Birta as a helmsman, she is ignored by scripted interactions. Instead, the highest leveled helmsman in your crew is used, from what I observed.

It seems wilders/non-kith crew members are bugged/unfinished.

Also, I'm pretty sure Mother Sharprock has been featured to some extent in scripted interactions, and Birta is listed as wilder, but talks.

Interesting. The only non-kith crew member I ever saw participating in scriped interactions was Worthless Idiot whom the crew put in a cage and wanted to kill (that was the scariest moment in the game for me, had no idea I was sailing with a bunch of murder hobos  :aiee:). 

• Like 3

Also, I'm pretty sure Mother Sharprock has been featured to some extent in scripted interactions, and Birta is listed as wilder, but talks.

Birta has more than just the Wilder trait, though. It's the other trait firing.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 1

Interesting. The only non-kith crew member I ever saw participating in scriped interactions was Worthless Idiot whom the crew put in a cage and wanted to kill (that was the scariest moment in the game for me, had no idea I was sailing with a bunch of murder hobos  :aiee:). 

Holy Hel, how did you get that? I would have a nervous breakdown since I like imps more than anything else in the game besides the grumpy elf, Tekehu and Rekke xD

• Like 2

nvAeseu.png

Holy Hel, how did you get that? I would have a nervous breakdown since I like imps more than anything else in the game besides the grumpy elf, Tekehu and Rekke xD

By being a worthless idiot myself and not noticing that I've been forcing a couple of injured crew members work for a few days. Morale dropped to ~5, and that scene happened. Well, I'm not really sure if low morale had anything to do with it, but it seems like a logical conclusion. Crew personalities probably mattered too. I think they were accusing him of stealing something? And they were led by the guy who always was the most aggressive one in all the interactions. 

I was able to talk them out of killing the poor imp in the end, but they did scare me for a second. I was expecting to get a mutiny at low morale, not this. 

• Like 3

By being a worthless idiot myself and not noticing that I've been forcing a couple of injured crew members work for a few days. Morale dropped to ~5, and that scene happened. Well, I'm not really sure if low morale had anything to do with it, but it seems like a logical conclusion. Crew personalities probably mattered too. I think they were accusing him of stealing something? And they were led by the guy who always was the most aggressive one in all the interactions. 

I was able to talk them out of killing the poor imp in the end, but they did scare me for a second. I was expecting to get a mutiny at low morale, not this.

While I like to experience most things in games, I don't want to have this scene, nor a mutiny for that matter. I'd ditch the entire crew for Worthless Idiot. Handsome Eliam could stay too.

nvAeseu.png

While I like to experience most things in games, I don't want to have this scene, nor a mutiny for that matter. I'd ditch the entire crew for Worthless Idiot. Handsome Eliam could stay too.

Well, you're kind of missing out. In one of those events, Worthless Idiot becomes the captain of the ship and you have to battle through his minions to regain control over the Defiant.

• Like 6

Well, you're kind of missing out. In one of those events, Worthless Idiot becomes the captain of the ship and you have to battle through his minions to regain control over the Defiant.

I'm a wussy xD Do we have to kill him?

nvAeseu.png

I'm a wussy xD Do we have to kill him?

No, because I made that up. :p

• Like 3