I must say that this brings back memories of me playing Dragon Age: Origins. I must thank Obsidian for making a great game and improving upon the foundation of the first game. I look forward to their future projects. I frankly don't care what Chris Avellone says (and what he said sounds like a "he said, she said" type of situation). I think I might even play Tyranny thanks to this game.

What do you all think? How much have you enjoyed the new Pillars of Eternity game?

• Like 7

Tyranny is not in the same league. It does have a particularly interesting backstory but you only have 4 characters in your party and the maps and encounters are rather small for what is supposed to feel like an epic setting. 

Not saying you won't enjoy it but it's hardly on the same scale as playing Pillars 1 + Deadfire. 

As for me I've enjoyed Deadfire but I'm waiting for things to be polished and the DLC to return to the game. 

Put it this way... I thoroughly, immensely enjoyed Tyranny. Twice. To see outcomes on either side. I can't seem to go back and replay it again without immediately losing interest

PoE2 on the other hand I'm on my third playthrough in the two weeks since release and I don't see myself slowing down, and there hasn't even been a major patch or dlc yet :p I'm pretty sure this is going to land in my top games all time once all is said and done

• Like 2

I played Tyranny at least four or five times to see every possible major path. I'd say it easily tops Deadfire on player reactivity (factions actually do care about what you do and to who...). Character system is a lot shallower than in pillars, but I still liked it.

One hint: use magic. Always. Since you get XP for using skills, magic users will ridiculously outlevel melee and ranged fighters.

Edited by M4xw0lf
  • Like 1

Put it this way... I thoroughly, immensely enjoyed Tyranny. Twice. To see outcomes on either side. I can't seem to go back and replay it again without immediately losing interest

PoE2 on the other hand I'm on my third playthrough in the two weeks since release and I don't see myself slowing down, and there hasn't even been a major patch or dlc yet :p I'm pretty sure this is going to land in my top games all time once all is said and done

I know this is a bit out of the blue, but how long was your first playthrough?

For me it was something around 30 hours iirc.

Tyranny is worth a go. It’s a much shorter game, pretty much entirely revolving around critical path. Not a fan of combat system. But it’s a good story, with interesting characters and world. I would say it is a rather different game that PoEs, which is fine.

Wait, for PoE 2 or Tyranny?

Edited by Gritino

For Deadfire? About 60 hours. That's with taking my time and doing close to everything (but skipping most faction quests other than the one I chose)

If you mean Tyranny, sorry I don't recall. That game was like a flash in the pan, was great while it lasted then immediately forgotten lol

Tyranny. ;) Deadfire between 50 and 60.

Tyranny. ;) Deadfire between 50 and 60.

Awesome. Thanks.

Tyranny is shorter. I enjoyed and hope for tyranny 2. Combat is good if you go into it knowing its 4 and rather simple, spell making was nice touch. Best part tyranny was the story.

I played POE 1 and Tyranny about same number times. I can't say how long takes complete as job I do I often am pausing and going on to do something and that gets added to total time.

Biggest complaint was act 3 was very short, can't say more don't want spoil it.

Give it a go its worth it.

Guest Blutwurstritter

The gameplay Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire improved alot in comparison to the first game. I found combat in PoE 1 mostly to be a chore, while I enjoyed it here. Only the main story should have been thought through more thoroughly but overall i would recommend it. The world is lively and vivid and doesn't feel so dull as it it did in PoE 1, which is one of my main gripes with the first part. Exploring is also quite nice although the ship battle doesn't add much to it and I wouldn't miss it if it was removed. 

Tyranny on the other hand was somewhat the opposite in strengths and weaknesses, with a strong main story but weaker gameplay. I hope we get Tyranny 2 continuing the story; it's time to meet Kyros and to replace him on his throne. 

Tyranny is not in the same league. It does have a particularly interesting backstory but you only have 4 characters in your party and the maps and encounters are rather small for what is supposed to feel like an epic setting. 

Tyranny is *much* more focused on the setting, the story, and the characters than it is on the combat. It's not inferior; it just has different focuses. For what it's worth I love the hell out of Tyranny.

Tyranny is *much* more focused on the setting, the story, and the characters than it is on the combat. It's not inferior; it just has different focuses. For what it's worth I love the hell out of Tyranny.

That's all I needed to read.

I think I'll give it a shot, but there are other games that I'm itching to play as well, so I'll see when I get to it.

Edited by Gritino

Hmm, I don't necessarily agree. I think there's a lot of combat and encounter-heavy areas all throughout Tyranny, and I'd say that I would have often preferred a more diplomatic or different approach to some encounters than to merely brawl with them. But it's a weird game as I feel the parts of it that are more dialogue-heavy feel denser in that very fashion than even the first Pillars, even as they offer the aiding hovers that we also see in Deadfire. All the same it's a very good game, I also recommend it.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I also might get Alpha Protocol because of this game.

You realize that Alpha Protocol is absolutely nothing like PoE or Deadfire, right? I mean, you might enjoy it regardless, but IMO it's among Obsidian's weakest offerings (the other being Dungeon Siege III, for very different reasons).

If you mean that Deadfire makes you want to check out Obs' other games then I'd suggest starting with Fallout: New Vegas. IMO it's their Magnum Opus.

Neverwinter Nights 2 and its expansions are also good, but a bit rough around the edges in terms of camera / controls (though both can be tweaked to preference through .ini files) and you might want some mods to improve the archaic UI.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords is a very interesting take on Star Wars and The Force but, again, mods are recommended to restore cut content and flesh out the ending.

South Park: The Stick of Truth is a lot of fun, well polished, and something completely different than all of the above.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

You realize that Alpha Protocol is absolutely nothing like PoE or Deadfire, right? I mean, you might enjoy it regardless, but IMO it's among Obsidian's weakest offerings (the other being Dungeon Siege III, for very different reasons).

If you mean that Deadfire makes you want to check out Obs' other games then I'd suggest starting with Fallout: New Vegas. IMO it's their Magnum Opus.

Neverwinter Nights 2 and its expansions are also good, but a bit rough around the edges in terms of camera / controls (though both can be tweaked to preference through .ini files) and you might want some mods to improve the archaic UI.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords is a very interesting take on Star Wars and The Force but, again, mods are recommended to restore cut content and flesh out the ending.

South Park: The Stick of Truth is a lot of fun, well polished, and something completely different than all of the above.

IMHO, KOTOR II is the the best thing they've ever done so far. It's buggy as **** and virtually unplayable without the mods to fix it, but once that's done it is one of the best Star Wars stories ever told, period.

• Like 2

IMHO, KOTOR II is the the best thing they've ever done so far. It's buggy as **** and virtually unplayable without the mods to fix it, but once that's done it is one of the best Star Wars stories ever told, period.

KotOR II is tied with Fallout New Vegas for my all time favorite RPG.

Edited by M4xw0lf