What Type Of Game Would You Like

Oohh, my chance to build a personal wishlist!

Too bad none of the developers are ever going to read this, but still.. It's fun :)

What I want (and dream about):

- A huge, free world with lots of explorable special places (Bandit hideouts, hidden treasure caves, abandoned mines, and so on).

- Believable, interesting NPC's (With spoken dialogue! And several dialogue options, depending on your characters attributes/skills).

- Day & Night cycle and real weather (Where NPC's sleep during the night and live during the day).

- Fully interactive 3D world with physics (Rollable barrels, rag doll effects, climbable fences/ladders, jumpable obstacles, fall-to-my-death locations).

- Upgradable, driveable vehicles (be it horses, boats or cars).

- Advanced character development, preferrably skill based (Anyone play Wasteland? That's what I want).

- Well balanced equipment (Fallout: after getting automatic weapons you never lost a fight. Too easy. I want to REALLY fight for the next upgrade to my arsenal. I love to find special, well hidden equipment).

- Real time combat (Preferrably in FPS style, like Deus Ex/Gothic/Morrowind).

- 1st or 3rd person view (Preferrably both, switchable).

- Lone hero style (Not too fond of party based RPG's. I feel more involved as one person instead of a whole gang).

The setting I would choose is the holocaust after a nuclear war. I once read a french comic book that took place in New York after a nuclear war. The heat from all the explosions had melted the polar ices and New York was mostly flooded and people travelled in small boats, rafts or whatever they could find (motorized bathtubs!). New York was mostly a ghost town, with eerie skyscrapers, half broken, leaning against each other, where small groups of people lived in the plundered, decaying remains. Gangs had formed, where some of the more powerful among them had old guns and rifles. Some even had old police style bullet proof vests.

The story would take the player up into the explorable skyscrapers, down into the flooded subways, around in the now overgrown, jungle-like Central Park. Imagine sitting with an old sniper rifle on top of a skyscraper, trying to take out the opposing gang's leader.. Or getting your first hand-gun instead of that baseball bat. Or a chainsaw! How about stealing a boat from some enemies for the first time? Upgrading the boat with an engine instead of paddles? Imagine exploring every detailed but decaying apartment/convenience store/bank/office you could find, trying to come up with that much needed flashlight battery.. Perhaps finding a scuba dive set.. Finding a long lost "civilization" in the underground tunnels of New York? Fighting against mutated animals in Central Park..

That's the game I would want from Obsidian. Guess I'm out of luck, huh?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'd second all the good suggestions above.

To add to the above, I'd like an RPG with a compelling story; most compelling stories are usually tragic. Nothing too epic - I shouldn't be saving the universe, I should be saving some small slice of the universe :huh:

The same dialogue and interraction in PS:T, but with a combat system as good as a bug-free ToEE.

I've had some more time to consider the question have come up with some more specific than my initial post.

I'd like to see an RPG with an immense and immersive world, where the player's character isn't anyone special. No epic quest to save the world, save the kingdom, save the ship, save the princess, save the village, vanquish evil, find your mortality, or whatever else you can think of. No main quest to speak of at all. Rather just many hooks spread throughout the game world that the player can choose to complete, varying in importance and scale, some possibly leading to an ending, some building reputation, allowing interaction between characters, or other outcomes that more talented game designers than I am could come up with.

I guess what I've described is somewhat like what massively multiplayer games have strived for, in part. But of what I've played and seen, they focus far too much on combat, loot, and leveling. I want a sandbox where I can take any character I choose, and weave a story that will be different each time I play, yet each time have quality writing and interaction with other characters in the game.

I want a sandbox where I can take any character I choose, and weave a story that will be different each time I play, yet each time have quality writing and interaction with other characters in the game.

You basically want a game that plays like a hundred games. Well, I want that too, but I also realize the limitations in todays hardware and probably the limitations in the budgets of developers forever. It would cost a lot of money and take an awful long time to make a game like that. Not to mention how complex it would have to be.

But that's what I'd like too, only combined with my last post :)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I want a sandbox where I can take any character I choose, and weave a story that will be different each time I play, yet each time have quality writing and interaction with other characters in the game.

You basically want a game that plays like a hundred games. Well, I want that too, but I also realize the limitations in todays hardware and probably the limitations in the budgets of developers forever. It would cost a lot of money and take an awful long time to make a game like that. Not to mention how complex it would have to be.

But that's what I'd like too, only combined with my last post :(

I realize the chances of one of my dream games coming to fruition is pretty close to nil, but that's kind of the point. There's a big difference between what I want and what I expect.

I a want a game where square soft gets rid of its retarded archaic combat system in the new ffs. What is an innovative combat system you ask look at grandia 2 an amazing system. ffx sucked because switching character was uneeded, all they had to do was allow 5 characters like in the old ff.

also i want a pc verson of table top battle tech(not mech commander one the uses the battletech rule set).

Also fallout 3.

and a good new devil may cry sequel.

In terms of battle system, I don't really have a preference as long as it's good enough.

What I'd really want is some kind of fusion between console RPGs and PC RPGs (heck, even PS:T was kinda like that in some aspects. Despite how some people seem to bash KOTOR, I thought it was headed in the good direction in terms of what I want. Focused story, deep characters, character interaction/banter (more, please), as well as somewhat nonlinear worlds with roleplaying choices.

I think the major complaint people have about KOTOR is that it's too dumbed-down. I personally didn't mind that, but there indeed is room to improve in the roleplaying department.

But hey, aren't sequels meant to improve on the original?

In any case, whether Ob's game is KOTOR 2 or not, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

As for whether it's for console or PC, I could care less, so long as they don't dumb it down.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I'd like to see an RPG with an immense and immersive world, where the player's character isn't anyone special. No epic quest to save the world, save the kingdom, save the ship, save the princess, save the village, vanquish evil, find your mortality, or whatever else you can think of. No main quest to speak of at all.

That rather takes the urgency and drama out of a game, doesn't it? A storyline has to have some element of "bad things are happening" to make it interesting. If you mean those plots have been overused, granted that's true. But a rescue-the-princess, slay-the-dragon paradigm is just structure, really. I'd think the game needs a simple plot to get things moving.

Once moving, if the game is any good (dialogue, atmosphere, combat) all that stuff will bring it to life.

A lot of good ideas here. Some more I thought of reading this:

-Be able to name your character! Nothing's more of a letdown than opening a game and reading "You're Jack Studley, blah blah blah"... hey, let ME decide who my character is, what sex, temperment, all that.

-Combat needs to be unrealistic. Yup, it sucks to get killed by a single bullet, or backstab. Let my character tough out several shotgun blasts to the chest, patch himself up with a handy doctor's bag, and keep truckin. (This doesn't count critical hits... those are conversely essential).

-A lot of games (console mostly) boast of massively interactive environments, where you can open every box, tip over every chair and so on. Bah! Who needs it. Spend the dev time on story and entertaining the gamer, and that's time better spent. I don't buy games to knock over furniture.

-Keep the mood of the game "mature." Fallout and Torment are terrific examples of a mature universe. I need to know if I screw up in the game world there will be bonafide consequences I won't like, and I'm not just talking Combat. Additionally, that gives players the opportunity to explore the dark side if they choose. Nothing's worse than a game where everything's super-OK!, which includes most console games.

-A new universe to explore! Western, private eye.. How about a SPY story! Choose which of several nations to be from, some ultimate prize all are after, how to get at it. Be a lusty Mata Hari, a suave undercover, the brutal thug, a shifty sniper behind the scenes type...

-Oh, definitly isometric, IMO

I wouldn't mind a Western with an arcane twist (aka Deadlands) though it might get a little too close to Steampunk which has been done with Arcanum. It would be an interesting to see Obsidian's take on the genre, but that would be mirroring a little too close to Troika for my own tastes.

I would like to see something totally new to the rpg genre. I don't exactly know what it is, but I wan't something I haven't seen before.

Is that too much to ask?  :)

I would also like to play something new: no ordinary guns, no magic... Dunno how to do that but I would like it.

For christsakes, anything but fantasy!

A historical RPG would be beautiful. Honestly I would like to see some developer go completely outside of the envelope and bring me a totally new direction for an RPG. It seems like things are kind of at a dead-end right now.

I want a sprightly and colorful 3d platformer featuring a cartoonish main character with a muted personality questing with his loveable, wise-cracking sidekick. In it, you would have to go through a number of crazy levels with ice and lava, collecting golden daisies and other assorted colored items in order to unlock the next world and proceed to the final world where you get to save the protagonist's girlfriend, who is kidnapped by some sort of anthropomorphic reptile king.

No, no, I'm just kidding of course. What I really want is a really hardcore computer RPG that's totally not cliche and it takes place in a setting that's not at all cliche and is fresh and original. You shouldn't have any important quests to do because that is cliche and not realistic and the game should be completely open and I should be able to go and do anything, but there should also be a cohesive and compelling storyline that is also not at all cliche. Combat should be completely turn-based and it should be really exciting but also give me the ability to stand, kneel, and lay prone while shooting and also hang from monkey bars and do really awesome backflips while shooting. I should be able to have 35 characters on my team too, who I get to control. Also, combat should be really complex and involving but it not at all tedious or too time-consuming. It should also be really dark and serious because I am not a baby and I hate it when I'm treated that way. I HATE IT OH GOD DANM HOW I HATES IT. Also, there should be romances, because I enjoy pursuing awkward relationships with female characters that have been completely made up by male game designers. Oh yeah, and I should be able to get up to level 99, because I like high numbers.

Actually, truly, seriously, what I'd really like to see is an action RPG in a fully 3d world with some good depth. Kind of like Gothic, but without the trashy gameplay and controls.

Some Egyptian/Roman/Greek/Aztek rpg with elements of magic/dieties might be interesting. An Egyptian/Aztek setting could feature interesting interaction with the afterlife, while the Roman/Greek model could feature how dieties influence the lives of mortals.

I think walking into Greek marble temples and statues that reflect light would be awesome. Walking through oppulent villas, bath houses, places of culture, administration buildings etc would kick ass. Interaction with famous warriors or famous mortals (Achilles, Jason etc).

Similarly vividly coloured walls from the Egyptian places of worship, oasis, glistening cities, though the vast sand could get boring ala Tatooine dessert romp.

In the Maya/Aztec setting you'd have lots of lush jungle and lots of spirituality etc, blurring what is reality and the spirit world blah blah.

It'd be cool to start out with your class as "artisan" or something like that.

Spreading beauty with my katana.