Everything posted by Raithe
-
The Nature of RPGs
Thereby firmly linking the need for a story to rpg's... (although to be fair, Alpha Centauri did link things to a shallow storyline.. hm, and so did Alien Legacy but that's a fairly ancient game now)
-
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite thread on Obsidian
I would guess the "hard choice" he's talking about is your response to the Illusive Man .. whether to Some people might take that as a "hard" choice to make depending on how you view it..
-
The Nature of RPGs
Hm, Civilization, Masters of Orion, Alpha Centuari maybe? There are lots of choices and consequences you make within those sorts of strategy / exploration / research type games. They don't always have much story to them (although AC did make a nice effort), but they definitely have a wide open ability to choose as you wish and then have consequences to deal with from every choice.
-
The Nature of RPGs
.. a game with a gru about to eat you? Edit: for a proper answer. But depending on the storyline that went with it, I could see a rpg using purely dialogue to play through. Some of the best pen n paper rpg sessions I've had with friends involved no combat, but was pure roleplaying dialogue in various situations.. political machinations and the like, whether d&d fantasy based, vampire emo angst based, or even space opera Star Wars.. All dialogue, dialogue, dialogue, with choices and consequences.. If the storyline works with it, that's all you need for roleplaying.
-
The Nature of RPGs
Although to be a tad more serious, I think c&c along with the "puzzle" aspects in one form or another make up an adventure game, not just the c&c.
-
The Nature of RPGs
.. Or most japanese . hm. bishojou games?
-
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite thread on Obsidian
The awesome twist to the end of ME2 "insert disc 3".
-
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite thread on Obsidian
I'm wondering if he's going to assemble a rag-tag fleet of allies, and then tell the Reapers "To Get the Hell Out Of Our Galaxy!" Although the surprise twist that the Reapers turn out to be descended from Morrigan's baby would be...
-
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite thread on Obsidian
"After losing to the collectors Shepard renames the Normandy Serenity & starts a career as space pirate in the Terminus Systems " " Shepard is killed in action, the suicide mission is carried out by Blasto the Hanar, who yells "ENKINDLE THIS!" at Harbinger"
-
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite thread on Obsidian
hm, can you imagine what a Reaper Blue Screen of Death looks like?
-
The Nature of RPGs
Hm, accumulation of "stuff" isn't really character advancement. It might be "game advancement" but guns and gear by itself isn't representative of growth of the character. Maybe the increase in capabilities in using gear could be growth, but just getting access to the gear wouldn't. At least to my mind.
-
The Nature of RPGs
I think it gets rolled into the idea that as the story progresses, and you make choices within that tory, a character should grow and development in some meaningful ways. In books and films, that tends to be represented by emotional maturity more then "stat growth" .. hm, although the standard training montage in most martial arts movies could represent stat/ability growth.. Within the arena of computer roleplaying games, mechanical stats are a fairly simple way to represent character growth and increased skill levels.
-
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite thread on Obsidian
Finding the origins of the super-secret, long dead (or almost all dead) species that created the original Reapers back in the dawn of history... and the location of the mystical Reaper Ctrl-Alt-Del key..
-
The Nature of RPGs
I hadn't realised you were such an optimist Purkake.. Hm, I would go with the generic having a central character you can take the role of, and choose various course of actions during the story of the game, with your choices affecting the course of the story. Unfortunately, I also think that's kind of the "ideal" which doesn't really happen in most crpgs.
-
Pixel Enemy Video Preview
They didn't say if there's any more crates in it... But I do wonder if they've added the utility to use duct tape in missions yet...
-
Awesome/interesting games no one has heard of
The funky hyperdrive thing if you wanted to get the really "good" ending.. there was a handful of not so good, and fairly appaling "you screwed up" endings if you weren't careful...
-
Awesome/interesting games no one has heard of
Was more efficient if you had 6 level 1 research then 1 level 6 research.. But still was a dang good game once you got to grips with it...
-
Obsidian is making Wheel of time game
There's just too little data about it to go one way or another... So we just clamour for more info and spin wild theories and speculation on limited knowledge.. But hey, that's what forums are for, yes?
-
Mass Effect 2 Discussion
Trying to give the guys the image of lingerie pillow fights?
-
Dragon Age discussion
I do get the feeling that the future of crpg's is going to lean heavily into the "main hero" and "two companions" style that they seem to be doing lately.... mostly because it's "easier" to set up games like that on consoles. And that seems to be the all important market for games development lately. Much as it sucks for those of us who love our pc's. There seem to be a lot of games developed for the console that will get "ports" onto pc's... and games developed for "console & pc" but which tend to be designed so the consoles can handle it, and thus even the pc version won't be that un-consolified. Mouse and keyboard work great to control larger parties.. but console gamepads.. eh, not so much.
-
Mass Effect 2 Discussion
Maybe I just had a glitch then Vol.. Because I told Jack flat out "no, I wasn't interested in her" and then every time I tried talking to her after she kept doing the dialogue spin of "i know you're seeing that other girl, make a choice or just leave me alone." and nada else but that.
-
Awesome/interesting games no one has heard of
Alien Legacy - developed by Ybarra Productions and published by Sierra Online back in the early 90's... Had an interesting mix of strategy, resource management with an almost.. adventure game style storyline.
-
Obsidian is making Wheel of time game
"If there was a way to get magic for free, do you really think I'd have spent so much time sacrificing children to my dark gods? For spells, I mean. Obviously there'd still be sacrifices. A hobby's a hobby."
-
Obsidian is making Wheel of time game
Tsk.. it takes me about 5-6 hours to read one... if I'm having a seriously quiet weekend feeling like lazing around, I can get through a three or four .. Maybe that's given me a different view point on them then all those people that seem to take a month to read just one.. but I find when you have them together that the story smooths out a whole lot better then when you take them piece meal...
-
Mass Effect 2 Discussion
Hm, one thing that did hit me.. Even though I told Jack i wasn't interested in a relationship with her, the next time I tried talking to her she went into the "I know you're hitting on that other girl, make a choice or stop visiting me" dialogue.. Which kind of makes me want to throw my hands up and do the whole " I don't need to make a choice. I told you NO!"