Ok im going to make this topic here because despite the FAQ topic some people are just to lazy to constantly click each link... so I will help everyone here by posting a STEP BY STEP guide on how to make sure you can keep your KOTOR 2 running on vista.
1. Insert CD 1.
2. Open Start>My Computer>Kotor 2 and right click on "setup".
3. Go to properties and Run as admin and also run as Windows XP OR Windows 2000 (they both seem to work similar, but Ive had better gameplay on 2000.)
4. Install it, install the rest of the disks regularly..
5. Right click on the desktop icon and repeat step 3
6. Run the game, you will most likely get an error. (if not then keep playing)
7. Now you must download a new ms32.dll file.. (the orginal is located in My Computer>Program Files>Lucas Arts>KOTOR 2. Make sure you copy it and put it in a easy to find folder for further use of the one you downloaded doesn't work.)
8. Click Here
9. Now that you have downloaded the file, replace it with the newr mss32.dll file (location is in step 7)
10. Run the game and you quote on quote "shouldnt" have any errors.
Now if you still are having errors which happens alot.. there is one more solution.
This involves contacting email@example.com
Send them an email saying something like this... "my kotor 2 is messing up can you send me a new kotor2.exe."
They will send you an email about what to do to send them a "Analysis" (helps them determine if you need it)
Follow the instructions using the same subject they replied to you with in your new email to them, attach the analysis file and send.
In no time you will receive a new KOTOR2.exe.
1. Now open up My Computer>PRogram Files>Lucas Art>KOTOR 2.
2. look for the old KOTOR2.exe now copy and move that file to a different location for easy access.
3. replace it with the new kotor2.exe provided by firstname.lastname@example.org and right click it and run as admin/xp-service pack2-3 or windows 2000.
4. Now double click the game and play normally.
I have now listed all possible ways of making sure kotor 2 can run on vista.