Everything posted by alanschu
-
What are you playing now?
Both Half-Life and Half-Life 2 indeed have stories. I think that the story of Half-Life 2 is not as strong as the original, but it's there. It has a bizarre narrative style though, where you don't actually leave the eyes of Gordon, and Gordon doesn't say anything. Given it's narrative style, and the fact that it's a linear game, it is possible to play it without paying attention to the story (which you could probably say for all linear games). I think Half-Life is more interesting because the overall goal of Gordon Freeman changes throughout the game. The goal Gordon ultimately has in Half-Life 2 doesn't really change, except maybe at one part. But it's of smaller scale than the Half-Life shifts. Deraldin's incident is actually pretty interesting. Perhaps naming the expansion to Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode One, was not the best naming convention.
-
American Foreign Legion
I don't know if the Guantanamo Bay would really be an exception to this. I'm sure Cuba wants the money from the arrangement. It'd be different if there wasn't an exchange being made. And I'm sure Cuba would be less copasetic with the arrangement.
-
American Foreign Legion
Be careful how you word things. You talk about how they politely asked us to leave, and that because we didn't, they descended into a civil war. This implies that the failure of the US to withdraw is what caused the civil war, which is a bit of a bold claim.
-
Pictures of your games...
I have no doubt that it's a 100% accurate representation of Sargy.
-
Vampire: Bloodlines
Actually, the first time I played FO I didn't know about the headgear and just waltzed right down the corridor. He messed me up, but I still beat him. <{POST_SNAPBACK}> I always found myself getting gibbed in the hall. What was your character build?
-
Planescape Torment : MMO?
Re: Hades I think the issue is that you don't seem to be content in other people's differing opinions on a subject, and seem very intent on reminding the forum community, time and time again, about how you disagree. The rebuttals against you are no more malicious than your rebuttals against them. If you want others to decide on the level of authority of your opinions, then people critiquing your opinions should not bother you. Furthermore, if you aren't actively trying to impose your views, the need to reiterate your opinions on subjects already beaten to death would not be necessary. If you feel it prudent to state for the nth time what you feel about game X, often times in disagreement of someone else's opinion on the subject, then you open yourself up to the continued criticisms. On a final note, another large issue, is that you like to manipulate and perceive things in your own way in order to not warp the fabric of your reality. Instead of adjusting your own perceptions of reality in the face of new information, you try to adjust the new information so that it conveniently fits into your perception of reality. As a result, you start with bizarre classifications and stereotyping, in order to make your previous opinions not hold up. It's exceptionally unscientific, and why so many responses to you include references to the confirmation bias. For example, you state straight up that it's impossible for an MMO game to be fun, by virtue of the fact that they are MMO games. So when someone brings up the persistent worlds of Neverwinter Nights, which offer a game experience exceptionally similar to a typical MMO game (especially a smaller scale one), you try to make a distinction that one is an MMO, and the other is a PW, and as such this classification involves fundamental differences between the two. You've tried explaining yourself based on a set of classifications such as cost (which is ruled out because of Guild Wars), scale (which is ruled out because the originator of MMORPGs, ironically also titled Neverwinter Nights, was also small scale), as well, in my opinion the biggest stretch, the idea of it being having to be made by professionals.
-
Pictures of your games...
I finally have a face to put to the name!
-
Vampire: Bloodlines
There are other instances of an undefeatable character as well. For example, Malak from KOTOR, when you meet him on the Leviathan. Despite how much you whoops his butt, he's still ultimately invincible and can't be defeated there. I guess it's not exactly the same. One of the final bosses in Quake required a puzzle to solve. Same with Half-Life for that matter. But I guess those aren't "CRPGs." The Master is invincible unless you get the headgear to protect yourself from his psionic attacks. The Sorcerer in the prison mountain in Serpent Isle cannot be harmed, and must be beaten with a puzzle (actually the Ultima games are littered with encounters like this).
-
Europa Universalis III Demo
You don't need to be a subscriber to use Fileplanet. YOu just need to be one if you don't want to wait in any queue.
-
Europa Universalis III Demo
The one I got from Fileplanet worked fine. I also didn't have to deal with any "eu3.exe" bug either.
-
Planescape Torment : MMO?
Excellent point. Because the worlds of games like Everquest and World of Warcraft could not be called Persistent Worlds.
-
Europa Universalis III Demo
I wonder if there is some sort of intrinsic value to the game being 3D, that we just haven't arrived at yet.
-
Should marijuana be legal?
Or perhaps that obtaining that information was less than easy, and their are basing their opinions on some sort of educated guess (perhaps supported by anecdotes, or some other less than official response that indicates that it's most likely illegal).
-
Should marijuana be legal?
Please elaborate.
-
Europa Universalis III Demo
LOL! This sounds like gold!
-
Should marijuana be legal?
Such transfer issues likely exist everywhere. I know people that were screwed over at my University as well.
-
Playstation 3 a bargain?
It certainly does seem that many think that way. My tool is used in Windows, but all of our development is done on Linux.
-
Europa Universalis III Demo
Hahaha Pixel Shader required.
-
Should marijuana be legal?
I'd imagine such policy would have come because some indeed were frowning upon it.
-
Would catching Osama make a difference?
I said no such thing. In fact, I made no implication whatsoever about my stance on the situation. You could not have concluded anything of the sort.
-
Vampire: Bloodlines
It is also possible to , but I preferred the game of cat and mouse that I had the first time I played through it. It was the most satisfying experience of that whole scene. I actually enjoyed it, because it made me feel particularly vulnerable (I didn't find the game difficult), and it actually got my heart pumping.
-
Would catching Osama make a difference?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-
Should marijuana be legal?
I am the master debator!
-
NHL
I know. People were all over the place. I told you I had a good feeling about the game
-
Should marijuana be legal?
now take that number with the number of people X-times on earth who smoke, X- times per a day, and see what effect it would have if you just eradicate this. <{POST_SNAPBACK}> The .0000000000000000001 was the sum of all people. The result is insignificant. You'll learn about stuff like this in high school science (most likely physics). The addition of cigarette smoke in the atmosphere is so many orders of magnitude lower than the rest of emissions that it essentially has zero effect. We're talking millions of tons of gas emissions here. You think people smoking cigarettes is going to make an impact?