Europa Universalis III Demo

Tigranes

In one day and nine hours on Crapspot.

Of course, I gotta wait for 2 weeks for my bandwidth cap to reset. :'( I blame the Russians.

I haven't kept up with what exactly was changing in EU3 over EU2, although as usual I keep hearing "3D" thrown about everywhere. Anyone else excited? Surely we still have some EU enthusiasts. What are the biggest changes?

3D is, as usual, the poorest plug for a game of this type, but whatever sells it to the kids. The game is supposed to have more forms of governments and alliances (like personal unions and stuff) and the concept of national ideas which will allow you to direct your research towards certain branches of the "tech tree," as it were. Added to that there will be more realistically sized armies, random monarchs and the possibility to start at any date in the game's timespan (something that only makes me wonder if they didn't put in too much effort into a mammoth task that couldn't possibly be very accurate).

The focus on stuff like that (start-at-any-date) and 3D makes me skeptical, and it probably won't be playable until after a number of patches, but at the same time it's bound to end up better and more enjoyable than EU2, which would speak volumes. We know that Paradox are great at still patching their games years after their releases, which still, however, makes you wonder why they just can't seem to get it right in the first place?

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

The game is supposed to have more forms of governments and alliances (like personal unions and stuff) and the concept of national ideas which will allow you to direct your research towards certain branches of the "tech tree," as it were. Added to that there will be more realistically sized armies, random monarchs and the possibility to start at any date in the game's timespan (something that only makes me wonder if they didn't put in too much effort into a mammoth task that couldn't possibly be very accurate).

I can't count the number of orgasms that gave me.

Is the random monarchs thing a tick-box option? Because I may actually prefer historical monarchs if we dont have a family tree and selectable heirs a la TW.

Is the battle system getting any revamp? I dont want it too complicated, but I thought EU2's was *too* simple so that it broke immerison and got in way of your politically and economically and geographically well-planned maneuvres.

Is the random monarchs thing a tick-box option? Because I may actually prefer historical monarchs if we dont have a family tree and selectable heirs a la TW.

From what I gather, no. Though there will obviously be historical monarchs for the entire era in the game, given the whole start-at-any-date thing. Personally I'm excited about the prospect of having random monarchs, since EU2 got very predictable. Having said that, there is a risk that the balance will be screwed when the AI doesn't have any natural guidelines to follow. I think there's a great risk of strange over and under powerings going on.

How does having random monarchs work at the same time as having historical monarchs? O_o isn't it one or the other?

I loved the complexity of EU's AI compared to TW's, and that's why I was willing to have historical monarchs (which I dont mind at all).

I would guess that starting at any date works by having a 'map' for every single year? So if you start at a specific year it will always be under the same conditions?

I think it's detailed enough to be on a day-to-day basis. What I meant by historical monarchs being in the game was related to that. If you start as England in say 1590 you'll have Elizabeth as your queen, but if you start as England in 1453 you'll have Henry VI and a completely random monarch in 1590.

How does having random monarchs work at the same time as having historical monarchs? O_o isn't it one or the other?

I loved the complexity of EU's AI compared to TW's, and that's why I was willing to have historical monarchs (which I dont mind at all).

I would guess that starting at any date works by having a 'map' for every single year? So if you start at a specific year it will always be under the same conditions?

At the date you chose to start you game all nations have historical monarchs , and advisors.

But as game goes on the kids of the historical ones arent the historical ones we know, because they were at their own time also only a random chance to born.

Thus: if you start as Firenze at the correct date you have Leo as a possible advisor, but if you play since 200 years as France then its possible that your ruler will be named Louise XX and you have a diplomatic advisor named Richard Bonaparte.

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

When they say rate-limited, they mean it. 21.5 KB/s

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

GAMERSHELL, dl it form there!!! its atleast 10-times (!!!) faster!

Dang, I'm only get 7-8 times faster.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm installing the game right now.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The idiots have the Start Menu shortcut pointing to eu3.exe, instead of eu3demo.exe.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: