Is it going to be published by Paradox Interactive?

As a company, yeah, Paradox is a great one to go with, and AFAIK, they were pretty hands off with the development of PoE1 and Tyranny (I heard they came on board pretty late in Tyranny). So, as long as they let Obsidian do their thing, it should be fine. Unlike, you know, EA....

Yeah, I'm not buying from a publisher who raises game prices before the Steam Sales.

Look at the user reviews :

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291650/Pillars_of_Eternity/

Is that how we want PoE to be perceived ?

As a bad game, because of a greedy publisher ?

PoE has 69% recent NEGATIVE reviews because of them.

They got trashed so hard they've actually issued a statement, just yesterday, to roll it back :

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/pricing-change-rollback-information-thread-latest-news-here.1031635/

• Like 1

I was given Tyranny as a gift, so I haven't given them any money yet, but I *love* that game--I've beaten it five times, and I'm on my first New Game+ right now.

That being said, the DLC situation *sucks*. Big time.

Hey son, how you liking the disappearing tooltips bug so far ? ;)

10 days and still no hotfix on this game breaking bug, yay...

Sorry for going offtopic, had to get that one out.

• Like 1

As a company, yeah, Paradox is a great one to go with, and AFAIK, they were pretty hands off with the development of PoE1 and Tyranny (I heard they came on board pretty late in Tyranny). So, as long as they let Obsidian do their thing, it should be fine. Unlike, you know, EA....

5 euros for a portrait pack, 7 for a DLC with minor extra content for the base game. Doesn't matter when you get the disease, the symptoms are still there.

I've heard that "extra content" is really just stuff from the base game that's been unlocked or "finished", too. The expansion, Bastards Wound, is supposed to be all new but that DLC...not so much.

As someone who has bought the DLC, I'm gonna write a steaming (haha, Steam-ing, get it ?) review very soon.

The "additional content" consists of scripted random encounters while traveling, a few more NPC interactions, and... ?

And I don't know, actually.

Hell there's so LITTLE of it they've decided NOT to reveal what additional content there is.

You know, to not spoil you...

I'm just here to say that I won't be buying anything published by Paradox anymore. I was already pretty frustrated with their DLC policies and this latest price hiking before sales crap was the final straw for me. I hope Obsidian starts self-publishing.

• Like 2

I was given Tyranny as a gift, so I haven't given them any money yet, but I *love* that game--I've beaten it five times, and I'm on my first New Game+ right now.

That being said, the DLC situation *sucks*. Big time.

Hey son, how you liking the disappearing tooltips bug so far ? ;)

10 days and still no hotfix on this game breaking bug, yay...

Sorry for going offtopic, had to get that one out.

Oh. My. God. I almost feel angry enough to make threats of murder. It's goddamn ridiculous.

The biggest issue for me with paradox is that the pricing of games in my region doubled!. If anything in my country, inflation has been going pretty bad due to increase in taxes. So saying about aligning the purchasing power of regions are pretty BS if you asked me. If so, then the pricing should be lower not double!.

Pillars of Eternity 2 does not have a publisher yet. Developers Obsidian is currently still in negotiations around the distribution rights, wish partner Paradox Interactive is still in the race. In Germany could again a retail version with DVD appear.

With Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire , Obsidian Entertainment has once again shown that crowdfunding is a real alternative to classic publisher financing via kickstarter or Fig.co. For the distribution of the rolling game, also in the retail trade, the studio is still looking for a partner. At the E3, Obsidian told the PC Games interview that the negotiations with Publisher Paradox Interactive are still ongoing. The desire partner had already taken over the marketing of Pillars of Eternity and helped Obsidian currently in the console implementation for PS4 and Xbox One .

http://www.pcgames.de/Pillars-of-Eternity-2-Deadfire-Spiel-60571/News/Publisher-Paradox-Interactive-als-Wunschpartner-Retail-DVD-1231368/

Pillars of Eternity 2 does not have a publisher yet. Developers Obsidian is currently still in negotiations around the distribution rights, wish partner Paradox Interactive is still in the race. In Germany could again a retail version with DVD appear.

With Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire , Obsidian Entertainment has once again shown that crowdfunding is a real alternative to classic publisher financing via kickstarter or Fig.co. For the distribution of the rolling game, also in the retail trade, the studio is still looking for a partner. At the E3, Obsidian told the PC Games interview that the negotiations with Publisher Paradox Interactive are still ongoing. The desire partner had already taken over the marketing of Pillars of Eternity and helped Obsidian currently in the console implementation for PS4 and Xbox One .

http://www.pcgames.de/Pillars-of-Eternity-2-Deadfire-Spiel-60571/News/Publisher-Paradox-Interactive-als-Wunschpartner-Retail-DVD-1231368/

Is it possible to have an English summary for the non-Deutsch crowd? Thanks!

Yeah, I'm not buying from a publisher who raises game prices before the Steam Sales.

Look at the user reviews :

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291650/Pillars_of_Eternity/

Is that how we want PoE to be perceived ?

As a bad game, because of a greedy publisher ?

PoE has 69% recent NEGATIVE reviews because of them.

They got trashed so hard they've actually issued a statement, just yesterday, to roll it back :

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/pricing-change-rollback-information-thread-latest-news-here.1031635/

​Oh wow, that's brutal.. I hadn't even noticed the Steam "sale" pricing - that is pretty annoying.. Reminds me of when everyone on Amazon gave Spore a 1-star review back in the day because of their crappy DRM..

Damn. That "rollback" message is hardcore.

PS: Their DLC policy *stinks*.

Nah, it's best DLC policy I've ever seen from a company. Fite me IRL if you think different. :p

• Like 2

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Nah, it's best DLC policy I've ever seen from a company. Fite me IRL if you think different. :p

Paradox is that you?  :skeptical: 

Five bucks for a portrait pack, 7 bucks to unlock features present but not completed in the base game! IT STINKS!photo.jpg

• Like 1

Paradox raised prices on PoE before a sale resulting in those reviews on steam for this great game? That's a terrible short sighted cash grab. Yeah.. Time to fly solo on this one Obsidian.

Five bucks for a portrait pack, 7 bucks to unlock features present but not completed in the base game! IT STINKS!photo.jpg

It was such a great gift that PoE allow custom portraits. 5 bucks for few portraits are the reason behind why modding were discouraged.

• Like 1

Paradox's pseudo-microtransaction cosmetic dlc doesn't really bother me when used in their grand strategy games. It's a way to allow them to fund development which isn't a required purchase.

I don't know how it was implemented for Tyranny (could you still as custom portraits yourself?) But it bothers me a little more since it's probably not funding development in the same way as with EU4, say, and aesthetics are more important in a role-playing game than a grand strategy game. That said it's still a fairly minor issue.

The rise in prices before the sale is bull**** though. I hope they don't repeat that again. That said, the negative reviews for PoE about me: the game doesn't become bad as a result of the price rise, and your hurting obsidian more than paradox.

In any case I hope obsidian go with whichever publisher works best for them. If that's paradox then it's paradox and I'll still support them. Of course, as a backer I'll get the game and expansion separately of the publisher but still.

• Like 5

I used PoE portraits in Tyranny no problem. They sell a portrait pack for 4 bucks but you can ignore it and use custom stuff if you like.

• Like 4

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Five bucks for a portrait pack, 7 bucks to unlock features present but not completed in the base game! IT STINKS!

$5 to keep artists employed even when a new game isn't in development. $7 for additional features that required additional work to complete. You may not think those are worth the prices to you, but that doesn't mean the policy itself is bad.

• Like 4

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

$5 to keep artists employed even when a new game isn't in development. $7 for additional features that required additional work to complete. You may not think those are worth the prices to you, but that doesn't mean the policy itself is bad.

Assuming something like this is true, then transparency would be necessary. Which I don't believe it is.

• Like 1

Five bucks for a portrait pack, 7 bucks to unlock features present but not completed in the base game! IT STINKS!

Oh, puh-leeze. If it was any other company for any other game than an Obsidian RPG--it fit was EA for a BIOWARE game, for example!--that was charging money for a DLC to unlock already-in-the-game stuff, this board would be *ripping it apart*.

It's cosmetic microtransactions and *allowing* you access to stuff that's already there. That's all it is. It's the same stuff companies have been crucified by gamers for doing for years. Paradox is no better than EA on their DLC policy. Might be easier to work with, might be more hands-off for the company, etc. but their DLC policy is the exact same ****tiness. Has been for a while now.

• Like 4

Oh, puh-leeze. If it was any other company for any other game than an Obsidian RPG--it fit was EA for a BIOWARE game, for example!--that was charging money for a DLC to unlock already-in-the-game stuff, this board would be *ripping it apart*.

It's cosmetic microtransactions and *allowing* you access to stuff that's already there. That's all it is. It's the same stuff companies have been crucified by gamers for doing for years. Paradox is no better than EA on their DLC policy. Might be easier to work with, might be more hands-off for the company, etc. but their DLC policy is the exact same ****tiness. Has been for a while now.

If it was any other company doing the same thing, any criticism would be just as wrong. 

-Josh Sawyer

No, it's perfectly justified. You don't *NEED* this business model to employ artists and pay coders. The artists get paid when you do a DLC, when you do an expansion, when you do a sequel. Doing small microtransaction cosmetic patches actually screws over the artists; it's designed so that the big company can take multiple bites out of each transaction, whereas the artist generally get's paid once (after that the art is owned by the company, who of course keep profiting form it every time another cosmetic DLC is sold). When the artist does a *bunch* of work for a big expansion, they get a big paycheck. If they do a little work for a small cosmetic DLC, they get a small paycheck for fewer hours worked, etc. They may do three small DLCs for 10 hours each, or one large expansion for 60 hours. They don't get to take a chunk out of each time those small DLC's sell, like the company that makes it's profits off mass sales. They get 30 hours, or 60 hours. If they get paid by the artwork, same deal; they may do 10 portraits in 3 portrait packs and get paid for those 30 portraits, or draw 60 things for an expansion and get paid for those 60 things.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that cosmetic micro-transactions are being done by publishers and studios so that the artists can make money. That's frankly ridiculous. It's a business model, not a work charity. It's a money scheme designed to generate as large a profit for as small an expenditure of effort and resources as possible.

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 5