Update by Brandon Adler, Lead Producer
Hey, everyone. I have some exciting news for you today. The White March, the expansion for Pillars of Eternity, has released its first part and you can find it on Steam, GOG, and Origin. In this update we will explain how to redeem your rewards from the Backer Portal and show you some of the cool companions, areas, and features from the expansion.
Let's not waste any time.
The White March - Part I
For those of you that may not know a lot about our expansion, let me talk about some of the details and highlights:
- The White March - Part I takes place in the harsh, frozen frontiers north of the Dyrwood. Word of Durgan's Battery and its buried treasures (including Durgan's Steel) has made its way back to the Watcher of Caed Nua.
- We have two new companions in the expansion:
- Zahua, a scarred, drug-addicted monk who thinks pain is the true path to enlightenment.
- The Devil of Caroc, a construct with the soul of a murderer infused inside.
- The expansion adds in a special class of items called soulbound weapons. These weapons have powerful (and unique) enchantments that become more powerful as their wielder levels up.
- You can now set your companions to use AI so you don't have to spend as much time managing their actions. Each class has special AI packages that are unique to those classes and we will be added in additional AI packages in the future. The AI for enemies has also been improved.
- Party members can now go into individual stealth. This allows some part members to be stealthed while other members are not. This is particularly useful in positioning party members for upcoming battles or sneaking by small groups of enemies.
- You may now retrain your party members to modify their attributes, skills, and abilities. Now you can try out new builds quickly and easily.
Redeeming the Expansion
Note: The expansion is not part of the Hero, Champion, or Royal bundles. The expansion was part of Kickstarter tiers at $165 and above. If you are a backer, but did not get the expansion bundled in your tier you will have to purchase it from Steam or GOG seperately.
We have now released Steam and GOG keys to all qualifying backers on the Backer Portal.
If the expansion was a part of your Kickstarter tier or if you purchased it as a separate add-on, you can redeem your game and get your key just like any other reward on our Backer Portal.
You can find the specific redemption instructions here under the "Steps to Redeem Your Items" section.
Over the past few months Obsidian has been working with DRKN, a premiere clothing manufacturer, to come up with some cool pieces of clothing that takes inspiration from Pillars of Eternity. We are happy to announce that they have finished their first few pieces and you'll get the first crack at them.
In addition to high-quality clothing, you also get a digital copy of the Campaign Almanac with your purchase.
What are you waiting for? You can get your Pillars-inspired clothing here.
If any of you are headed to PAX Prime this weekend, you should stop by the Hydra Theater at 3:00 PM on Saturday to catch our Pillars of Eternity retrospective panel. It's going to be filled with stories about our successes, our failures, and how it is shaping our future development. Also, we will give a sneak peek into our thoughts for future Pillars of Eternity products.
If you are unable to make it to PAX, not to worry. We will be streamed live on the official PAX Twitch channel for those that can't be there.
That's it for now. Have fun exploring the harsh wilderness of The White March!