• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know what the final image format will be, but the dimensions are 210x330.

I'm assuming this is the size of portraits for character sheets?

Last I heard, yes, that's the size for the character sheets.  I also think it's going to be an auto-reduced form of that portrait (not a separate pic) on the main game-screen, the size of which was still in flux at the last mention.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Last I heard, yes, that's the size for the character sheets.  I also think it's going to be an auto-reduced form of that portrait (not a separate pic) on the main game-screen, the size of which was still in flux at the last mention.

We'll have to wait and see what the image format is going to be; considering auto-reducing it like that is gonna bring down the quality of the image depending on what type it is.

Usually for cases like this its better to crop off elements so you can have as much focus to the facial portion of the portrait as possible.

For example lets say I was going to import a custom portrait into IWD2 here's how I would have it,

Large (Character Sheet) [i haven't actually resized these to be used in IWD2 I just wanted to illustrate what elements you should keep],

femr58L_zpsc4cb04dc.png

Small (In game portrait),

femr58S_zps774423f1.png

We'll have to wait and see what the image format is going to be; considering auto-reducing it like that is gonna bring down the quality of the image depending on what type it is.

Usually for cases like this its better to crop off elements so you can have as much focus to the facial portion of the portrait as possible.

For example lets say I was going to import a custom portrait into IWD2 here's how I would have it,

Large (Character Sheet) [i haven't actually resized these to be used in IWD2 I just wanted to illustrate what elements you should keep],

femr58L_zpsc4cb04dc.png

Small (In game portrait),

femr58S_zps774423f1.png

I agree that would be better - I was just going on a half-remembered dev statement.  I could be remembering wrongly though.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I actually disagree with it. Why make a full portrait if you cut 80% off it on what you see most of the game (the actual HUD rather than the character sheet).

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I actually disagree with it. Why make a full portrait if you cut 80% off it on what you see most of the game (the actual HUD rather than the character sheet).

For me, the HUD portraits should be a facial closeup because there'd be no detail at all in a bigger shot - they're just used to quickly identify who's who while selecting.  On the other hand, I like to get a bit more detail on what my character looks like when I've got time to look at the portrait and admire it, i.e. when I'm not fighting/exploring.  So I like a more head+shoulders approach for that.

(Plus I like making portraits for my PC to use) YMMV

• Like 1

I should have said before that there's a separate asset for the HUD portrait.  I don't remember the dimensions/aspect but they are not the same as the character sheet portrait.  We do manually crop them in to make the faces as prominent as possible.

Awesome, so I can start planning my 210x330 portrait(s) and be ready to crop them down for the HUD one :)

• Like 1

I should have said before that there's a separate asset for the HUD portrait.  I don't remember the dimensions/aspect but they are not the same as the character sheet portrait.  We do manually crop them in to make the faces as prominent as possible.

Good stuff!

can uploaded images be resized?

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Close enough to Icewind Dale-style portraits to get my seal of approval. Good job, everyone, pat yourselves in the back!

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

^ give me an example of how you would have your portrait be in game.

BW/IWD/The first uncropped pic you posted...

Edited by Hassat Hunter
  • Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee