Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Neverwinter Nights 2 first timer, anything I should know?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1680 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I liked it, but from memory there was either a mod to kill it, or console codes to keep replenishing your hunger easily.

There definitely was a mod to disable it.

Never understood the complaints about it myself. Worked well to stop rest spamming and introduced some interesting mechanics.

Probably best not to discuss it further though I guess, as there would be inevitable spoilers.

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3242 posts

Never understood the complaints about it myself.

it's too much work for some of us. I like to be in control of everything in my games. and when a game tries to control me... well, I guess that's why I didn't like Persona 3

although, I do agree that's an interesting mechanic. I just wished there had been a checkbox in the options somewhere, to enable "whimp mode"

Orchomene

Orchomene

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Never understood the complaints about it myself.

it's too much work for some of us. I like to be in control of everything in my games. and when a game tries to control me... well, I guess that's why I didn't like Persona 3

although, I do agree that's an interesting mechanic. I just wished there had been a checkbox in the options somewhere, to enable "whimp mode"

I would have accepted it better if the meter decreased only during travel and sleep and not real time each second.
It was too painful to have to pause and rush every time.

About the difficulty of the game, as far as I remember, it's not that hard up to chapter three or four.

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2456 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
But you don't have to "pause and rush" every time. That's all in your head. Even if you go all-out on devouring it's perfectably manageable without pausing or otherwise trying to prevent the meter from moving. Of course, you may not want to stand and admire a beautiful sunset. But you don't have to rush at all.

I'm enjoying the game though, the story so far is pretty standard fare but it's delivered well and the characters are fun, I do intend to play MotB afterwards but I'm not sure how the character export thing works, is it just for stats or are there story elements that carry over too?

It's for stats, equipment that you have equipped (minus weapons) and the story in MotB assumes that it's the same character that made it through the NWN2 campaign, but there are no story choices you make in NWN2 that carries over to MotB.

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5627 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I loved the game. Boost your charisma a bit and reap the rewards. Also, roleplay.

The hunger meter is crazy. BUt it is also one of the best bits of the game for me. Actually installs a sense of urgency and crisis unlike any other mechanism I've come across in a CRPG.

Big Bottom

Big Bottom

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 473 posts
  • Backer
As far as mods are concerned I recommend the rod of party buffing which instantly buffs your party with whatever spells you choose without going through the painful process of doing it manually every encounter.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7182 posts
People needed buffs in NWN2?

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1413 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I've almost finished the City Watch quests and difficulty is starting to ramp up, I got wiped out a couple of times recovering the weapons shipment, I feel like I'm getting to grips with the rules though, the AI is also performing reasonably now I have it tuned.

I have been wondering if there are any Dragon Age style combos, also, if someone could explain how to taunt it'd be a big help, as soon as my ranged characters start firing it all falls apart and I spend half the round running away from aggro'd guards.

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3242 posts

as soon as my ranged characters start firing it all falls apart and I spend half the round running away from aggro'd guards.

that's called 'kiting' and is a perfectly viable strategy ;)

WDeranged

WDeranged

• Members
  • 1413 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm not above kiting but this isn't really intentional, it's just me running away :lol:

*edit*

I should add that the problem is mainly that I can't keep these guys occupied with my heavy fighters, I fire off a few crossbow shots or spells and they start homing in on my ranged characters, I'm guessing that I need to look into traps and spells a bit more, find a way of slowing them down.

Edited by WDeranged, 09 February 2012 - 06:51 AM.

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2100 posts

Finish the game quickly so you can start playing Mask of the Betrayer.

I tried to start a game of MotB around Christmas last year, but I just couldn't get into it. I would love to play through with One-of-Many, but I just can't stomach the "highlevel" play :(

I don't understand that, the combat system is on the same level of sophistication as the first game. Click and it dies. You're never really overpowered by your enemies to the point that you have to pay actual attention to the combat, much like in all NWN titles.

The ultimate mage spells made mince of everything that my frenzied berserker couldn't massacre in under 3 seconds.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor, 10 February 2012 - 12:55 AM.

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5627 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I recall dying. A lot.

My two points to keep in mind: wisdom and charisma. Because they make the story ten times more interesting, and help control your hunger. Which makes perfect bloody sense.

WDeranged

WDeranged

• Members
  • 1413 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
It feels reasonably tactical to me, I certainly can't just drag click and send the boys in or everyone dies within a minute, potion spamming isn't really possible either thanks to those damn attacks of opportunity.

Possibly I'm just not an efficient leveller, I'm a DnD noob really.

I recall dying. A lot.

My two points to keep in mind: wisdom and charisma. Because they make the story ten times more interesting, and help control your hunger. Which makes perfect bloody sense.

As soon as I noticed the dialogue skill checks I started putting points into them :thumbsup:

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2100 posts
DnD as a system is too easy to abuse, and too tempting to avoid abusing.

That's why I stick to rules lighter systems now.

WDeranged

WDeranged

• Members
  • 1413 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I actually screamed at the screen tonight, AI and pathfinding must burn in hell...still I learnt a few lessons about how the game works, AI is now disabled for most of the time and I've found traps and paralyse spells to be very helpful.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2849 posts
I have an odd relationship with NWN2 probably inverse to most people - MoTB I couldn't get out of the starting dungeon because I got sick of resting after each encounter (admittedly with probably an over-exotic character build), while SoZ I played almost to the end (where you open the chokepoint allowing access to the endgame area). The original campaign I only got as far as initially entering Neverwinter.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9860 posts

I have an odd relationship with NWN2 probably inverse to most people - MoTB I couldn't get out of the starting dungeon because I got sick of resting after each encounter (admittedly with probably an over-exotic character build), while SoZ I played almost to the end (where you open the chokepoint allowing access to the endgame area). The original campaign I only got as far as initially entering Neverwinter.

We might be a minority, but I liked SoZ best of the bunch. Only major detractor was some really, really bad voice acting. A case of less is more. Heck, much less would have been much better ;)

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2100 posts

I actually screamed at the screen tonight, AI and pathfinding must burn in hell...still I learnt a few lessons about how the game works, AI is now disabled for most of the time and I've found traps and paralyse spells to be very helpful.

Puppet mode (I think that's what its called) is mandatory. The AI is too stupid to rely on.

CymTyr

CymTyr

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 8 posts
I have played through the vanilla campaign, and I can tell you it's a wonderful experience if you appreciate the type of game it is. Yes, the AI is pretty bad at times, but all things considered NWN 2 vanilla is better than NWN vanilla any day.

TheHarlequin

TheHarlequin

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

what I couldn't stomach in MotB was the Hunger meter. god I wish there had been a way to disable it

There is a couple ways actually. The easiest is a console command. google it. I never played MotB and had to deal with the meter due to said command.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users