Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What are you playing now?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
504 replies to this topic

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9751 posts

Trying to beat Xcom for the very first time. It did not start well with 5 of my starting 8 soldiers dying on the very first mission before they even spotted the alien that was shooting them. It didn't help that only one of the other three soldiers was able to actually kill an alien with the standard rifle. Everyone else seemed to have their shots plink off the Sectoids massive heads. That was followed up with a base defence at the start of february. Not nearly as bad as it could have been. I lost 5 of 12 soldiers on that one, but one died to a fatal wound I didn't realize he had (I swear he was never hit though!) and another died on the last turn to a cyber disk that was hiding above the entrance to my hanger.

Other than those I've been pretty lucky. I didn't run into my first Chrysalid until after I had flying suits and all three alien bases I've blown up have been floater bases so no mind control and no Chrysalids in tight corridors. The US and Canada both signed pacts with the aliens. This is all revenge for locating my second base in Cuba isn't it...

Trying to beat it or playing it for the very first time?

A few tactical hints: Autofire is your friend when using automatic guns. So is using the button that reserves enough action points for an interrupt (overwatch) if your marines spot an alien. The ufopedia gives a few hints for some of the aliens as to what their weaknesses and strengths are (cyberdisks and those big twolegged ones). Proximity grenades are a great invention when you need to cover your back. There is nothing embarrassing in using smoke screens if caught out in the open :)

Bendu

Bendu

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 794 posts
  • Steam:BenduHead
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Finished my 4th playthrough of DSIII.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1936 posts
I wan't to play Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil and BG:Dark Alliance 2 but I have to study the Political Sociology of Contemporary Society

Posted Image

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1392 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I've been specifically avoiding any large open world games after Skyrim destroyed my social life and sleeping pattern, I do have Fallout 2 installed and I'm nibbling a few hours off it each week but mostly I'm playing old Nintendo games and reading books.

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4028 posts
  • Gold Backer

Trying to beat it or playing it for the very first time?

A few tactical hints: Autofire is your friend when using automatic guns. So is using the button that reserves enough action points for an interrupt (overwatch) if your marines spot an alien. The ufopedia gives a few hints for some of the aliens as to what their weaknesses and strengths are (cyberdisks and those big twolegged ones). Proximity grenades are a great invention when you need to cover your back. There is nothing embarrassing in using smoke screens if caught out in the open :)

Trying to beat. I've played it a few times before but always quit before getting to Mars.

The only thing that I haven't been using so far are smoke grenades. Regular grenades have come in handy a few times for clearing out small UFO's where everyone survived being shot down somehow. The reserve time units button is my best friend. Finally I think it's about time that I assign some heavy plasmas to my troops. Laser rifles are starting to show their age now that ethereals are begining to appear.

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
im bouncing between new vegas, UMvC3, and Resident Evil 1 - depending on what mood i'm in.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9249 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I put AC Revelations away for a bit -- got turned off by those stupid Desmond sections -- and am playing the HD 360 version of Resident Evil 4. Fun game, but like the previous RE games before RE5, the shooting is awkward because of how the character turns. The enemies would be a breeze if the shooting wasn't so clunky, but I guess that's part of the "scary" factor.
  • Bokishi likes this

entrerix

entrerix

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3541 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
i think night of the living dead would not have been very scary if the main character had been John Matrix.

i think "action horror" is a good way to describe re4, its not a pure action game, but at least your character has enough bullets to kill his enemies

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4785 posts
  • Steam:apocalypse_2000
I picked up where I left off in Fallout 3. I haven't played any games in the past few weeks.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9249 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Also ... it's been a while since I played RE4 for the PS2, so re-playing it on the 360 now has reminded me just how friggin' useless Ashley is to lug around. It seems like the only times I actually "die" in this game is not when I (Leon) am killed, but when the screaming little brat gets killed because she's too stupid to move.

Enoch

Enoch

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Deus Ex: HR.

Fun so far. Although it is far better looking and sounding than the original, it is also clear that AI tech has made only the most marginal of advances. (Although, playing this immediately after The Witcher 2, the visuals do look rather weak-- especially the lip synching.)

Question: Is there any way to deal with placed mines, apart from throwing something at them to set them off?

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9449 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Question: Is there any way to deal with placed mines, apart from throwing something at them to set them off?

Walk up to them, don't run. And deactivate when you get close.

I also crouched, but I don't recall if that part was necessary.
  • Enoch likes this

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4028 posts
  • Gold Backer

Deus Ex: HR.

Fun so far. Although it is far better looking and sounding than the original, it is also clear that AI tech has made only the most marginal of advances. (Although, playing this immediately after The Witcher 2, the visuals do look rather weak-- especially the lip synching.)

If you can get close enough you can disable them. You can avoid setting them off by moving when they aren't blinking or by crouching and sneaking.

EDIT: Dammit Tale!

Edited by Deraldin, 29 January 2012 - 08:43 PM.

• Enoch likes this

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9249 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
It's probably a cheap way to beat them, but I've used the rocket launcher every opportunity I've gotten against the bosses and tougher enemies in Resident Evil 4. The only ones I didn't use it against was the swamp monster when you're on a boat and can't use it, and against the village chief when I tried to but missed and had to kill him instead with my shotgun.

Enoch

Enoch

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Ah, thank you, gentlemen.

I had forgotten that there was an option to walk slower, in addition to the 'crouch' toggle. I thought I was already going as slow as I possibly could, and I kept setting them off!

Edited by Enoch, 30 January 2012 - 04:43 AM.

Majek

Majek

Obsidian Order's Whatchamacallit

• Members
  • 2207 posts
  • Silver Backer
Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I think i'm rusted. I can't even get halfway to the first Saving point on very hard.

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1936 posts

I had forgotten that there was an option to walk slower, in addition to the 'crouch' toggle. I thought I was already going as slow as I possibly could, and I kept setting them off!

I forgot that as well when I was playing which led to some confusion. Its because you're only going to use it once or twice during the game total and that's for mines only.

Really, the whole sneaking business in DXHR gets ridiculous when you buy cloaking. With a single battery you can always get to cover. Since the guards are blind as bats to anything in cover even when you should plainly be in their sight, you can play the game on autopilot.

Enoch

Enoch

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I forgot that as well when I was playing which led to some confusion. Its because you're only going to use it once or twice during the game total and that's for mines only.

It makes more sense as a "feature" when you think of the game as primarily designed for gamepads. Walking slowly is just what you get when you push the thumbstick part-way forward, rather than a separate mode or keybinding.

Edit: Actually, I thought of another HR question: Is there a way to regain charge apart from inventory consumables? (I still remember the first time I played the original game and got all the way past the Hong Kong hub before I realized that I could use those orange repair bots.) Do the recharging upgrades let you regenerate more than your minimum 1-"battery", or do they just make the recovery of that minimum go faster?

Edited by Enoch, 30 January 2012 - 09:41 AM.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5280 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
From what I recall, you only regen the first bar.

Trying to set up a nice mission in ArmA 2 again, without going overboard and having it turn into a raging battle. Right now, spending oodles of time just placing sandbags in a village to make it look fortified. Will have to investigate how to make the buildings wrecked as well.

A lot of effort for naught really, as it'll just be for me to play, heh. :)

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I think i'm rusted. I can't even get halfway to the first Saving point on very hard.

Protip, tough guy: Set the difficulty down a notch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users