Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

CONSTANT RANDOM CRASHES -- An Unplayable Game

crash freeze broken unplayable mess

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

thedarkbird

thedarkbird

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

PoE II randomly crashes and freezes my whole computer with it, requiring a hard reset. Very annoying. I'll just wait for a patch before continuing this game.

Win10 x64; latest version (April update); fresh install (!)

i7 2600k

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 motherboard

16 GB Corsair DDR3 

Samsung 850 PRO 512 GB SSD (SATA3)

MSI Geforce GTX 970; latest drivers

Full System Disk Encryption with Veracrypt

Private Internet Access VPN

I stopped finding a clear cause since no matter what I do, random crashes keep occurring. The frequency changes though: sometimes it crashes all the time, other times I can play an hour or more without.

Edited by thedarkbird, 15 May 2018 - 12:28 AM.

Arsene Lupin

Arsene Lupin

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Steam:Arsene-Lupin
  • PSN Portable ID:Mwulf
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

@thedarkbird I think you're the only one that's been that specific about memory, but I'm pretty sure I'm also using Corsair-brand DDR3 sticks. I have no idea how such a thing could be possible, but might this finally be our common denominator? The *brand* of RAM?

FlyingFox

FlyingFox

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

Same thing is happening to me. This happens almost 100% when I load a saved game. My 'crash' however, is a complete shut-down of my PC and this happens without fail when I am loading a saved game. I thought it was an overheating issue but I verified that nothing was out of the norm. I am not suffering anything remotely this bad from other games like Guild Wars 2, Total War - Warhammer, Warhammer - Vermintide 2, Divinity, Original Sin 2, etc that can be demanding in their own right so I really doubt it's a 'not meeting the requirements' issue.

My modest specs are:

Radeon Software Version - 18.4.1
Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon ™ R9 380 Series
Memory Size - 4096 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 980 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 8 GB
CPU Type - AMD FX™-8320 Eight-Core Processor

I hope the team is looking into this as I have so much anticipation for this game. (PoE 1 and it's expansion ran perfectly fine). Very disappointed at the moment :(

sleepytime

sleepytime

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts

Hi Arsene,

I don't think that's the issue. I'm using a completely different brand of RAM, and I'm experiencing some similar behavior. Some zones, for whatever reason, are literally unplayable for me on a specific character. I've not yet made it back to those zones on a different character to see if it's an issue with the zone itself, the character, or a combination of the two. I've got a save that literally restarts my computer a second after the load screen. I've tried many and all of the fixes listed in this thread to no avail.

However, I did notice that setting my graphics to low, disabling vsync, and setting MSAA to 4 bought me a few minutes inside of the zone before the restart. I've even resorted to running the beta branch of the game to see if that helps. I'm happy to share any and all saves, but I may just be out of luck until there's a future patch.

sleepytime

sleepytime

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts

All right, so I'm feeling less defeated than yesterday, and I'm back to troubleshooting this problem further. I made the following changes and the zone that used to continually crash on me seems to be stable (I got through a long fight in the zone and just ran around for a few minutes before and after the fight):

• Updated video card drivers to the latest version (had been running the version prior to troubleshoot, but I don't think this is significant and doesn't affect your situation as you use an ATI card)
  • Reverted from the beta patches to the live version of the game (again, doesn't affect your situation)
  • Ran the game with low graphics options, vsync off, MSAA set to 4, frame rate max at 60, and resolution set to windowed and 1280x720 @ 60Hz (this may be the big change)

Just to ensure that the first two changes aren't significantly affecting the stability of the zone on my system, I'm going to set my resolution back to windowed 1920x1080 @ 60Hz and see if my system restarts. If so, I'll probably test more resolutions as well as bumping the graphics quality options back up. I'm not sure why the above workaround seems to be working given that my system handles much more demanding games without any issues, but if it at least buys me some playability until a fix is released, I'll be happy.

sleepytime

sleepytime

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts

Okay, as I suspected, the game crashed almost instantly after setting my resolution back to windows 1920x1080 @ 60Hz and loading my save in a zone that has always caused problems. This leads me to believe that updating my video card drivers and reverting to the live version of PoE II did not help with game stability. It appears that changing the resolution to something outside of my max resolution for the monitor has resulted in more stability. My next test is to crank my graphic options back up to high and test the zone at windowed 1280x720 @ 60Hz. If that proves to be stable, my guess is that there's some sort of weird issue with certain zones/game flags/characters and my system.

sleepytime

sleepytime

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts

All right, as my final test for the night, I went ahead and played through the same fight and zone on windowed 1280x720 @ 60Hz, low graphic options, and vsync turned off just to satisfy my curiosity and help prove that my initial experience wasn't a fluke. Running the game at windowed 1280x720 @ 60Hz with the graphics on high and vsync both on and off caused a system restart. The current setup seems to be fairly stable as I've been alt-tabbed with the game running and no issues. I also had a YouTube video playing while I went through the encounter for added strain on my system, but it didn't seem to have an impact. As I write this, the game is still running and in one of the zones that's caused me issues. For what it's worth, here are my specs:

CPU - Intel i7-4790K (was overclocked before troubleshooting this issue)

RAM - 16GB DDR3

GPU - NVidia 1080ti 11GB

OS - Windows 10 (64-bit) Pro, 1803

Drive - 2x1TB Samsung 850 Pro Drives in RAID-0

Hopefully this helps anyone else facing this issue. Again, I'm happy to provide any necessary information and save files to the devs to help isolate the issue, but at least I've found a workaround until a fix is developed.

thedarkbird

thedarkbird

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

Maybe it's not the brand, but type of ram, DDR3. 

Different brand RAM may use the same manufacturer chips. For example: SK Hynix and Samsung are mostly the RAM chip makers.

But I'd be surprised that that has something to do with the issues. A LOT of people would have issues then.

Hi Arsene,

I don't think that's the issue. I'm using a completely different brand of RAM, and I'm experiencing some similar behavior. Some zones, for whatever reason, are literally unplayable for me on a specific character. I've not yet made it back to those zones on a different character to see if it's an issue with the zone itself, the character, or a combination of the two. I've got a save that literally restarts my computer a second after the load screen. I've tried many and all of the fixes listed in this thread to no avail.

However, I did notice that setting my graphics to low, disabling vsync, and setting MSAA to 4 bought me a few minutes inside of the zone before the restart. I've even resorted to running the beta branch of the game to see if that helps. I'm happy to share any and all saves, but I may just be out of luck until there's a future patch.

Edited by thedarkbird, 15 May 2018 - 03:43 AM.

sleepytime

sleepytime

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts

Right, thedarkbird. That could play a factor in the crashes/restarts, but I doubt it's the whole or root cause. Just to continue testing the stability of the workaround that worked for me, I left PoE II open all night in the zone that has historically caused me issues and did some dailies this morning in ESO while PoE II was still running I'm not a huge fan of non-fullscreen windowed mode, but at least it seems to work for now.

Arsene Lupin

Arsene Lupin

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hm... glad you found a workaround. On my end, I can have the client application running forever, it seems, but freezing/crashing only occurs after loading up a map. Longest period of stability I've had so far is maybe 40 seconds. It's possible it's only certain maps that have this problem for me, but it's hard for me to test b/c the very first map (the In-Between) is one of 'em. 

Different brand RAM may use the same manufacturer chips. For example: SK Hynix and Samsung are mostly the RAM chip makers.

But I'd be surprised that that has something to do with the issues. A LOT of people would have issues then.

Yeah, I'm grasping at straws here. We all seem to have very different GPUs, CPUs and even OSs. There don't seem to be any common denominators with our hardware, but if it was purely a software problem, you'd think it would either be much more common or the freezing/crashing much less frequent. 

And what's really depressing if Obsidian has just as much trouble identifying the problem.

sleepytime

sleepytime

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts

Gotcha. Thanks for the info, Arsene. Hopefully the answers and feedback we've provided can lead to a fix in the future. 

Nitrium Oxide

Nitrium Oxide

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

Crashes (and these are not simple CTDs, but hard crashes that require resetting the PC) have been far more frequent once I hit Neketaka (only had a handful before). They are 100% random and it doesn't matter if I'm indoors or out; the crashes are frequent now - about every 15 minutes. It's becoming very close to unplayable, but at this point I'm unable to refund it.

Also I'm using G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz RAM on an i5 760. GPU is a Sapphire Nitro R9 390 using AMD's Feb drivers (I rolled back). Win 10 x64 Pro (April update), GoG version. 1920x1200 res (the game is stable at 1280x720 windowed for me so far, although I haven't yet tried this work around in Neketaka).

sleepytime

sleepytime

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts

That's good info, Nitrium. In another thread, someone suggested that this was happening when braziers were on the screen. He specifically mentioned a zone that was troublesome for me and how he moved the camera out of line of sight of the braziers to solve the issue. Glad the smaller windowed mode trick works for you, but I thought I'd share some additional information.

FlyingFox

FlyingFox

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

Installed the new patch, the situation has not improved...hard PC shut downs when loading a saved game still persist. This time I tried lowering all my graphic settings, turning down resolution and it still shuts my PC down abruptly when the screen loads to the game (map). 

At this point I am running out of options to troubleshoot and being shut down immediately doesn't give me much room to, to be honest. I hope Obsidian can consider extreme cases like us a full refund, PoE 1 had absolutely no performance issues and my system is definitely more than capable to handle Deadfire, that's because I was actually able to play the game up to level 6 (when game as first launched) without leaving the game and loading a saved file until a few days ago.

sleepytime

sleepytime

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts

I think the other user was correct about the braziers. I've been playing along fine in a smaller windowed mode until a certain area with lots of unstable gunpowder barrels. The moment I popped the barrels and an explosion resulted in a hard reset.

Arsene Lupin

Arsene Lupin

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Y'all doing the hard resets, are you running the game fullscreen or windowed? I found that when it froze on me full-screen, I had to do a manual reboot, but in windowed mode I was able to access the task manager and kill the process from there w/out rebooting my PC.

Also, while I didn't see anything specifically relevant to freezing/crashing in the patch notes, I just gave 1.02 a whirl and am pleased to announce that I was able to play the game for much longer without freezing/crashing. I was in-game for two whole minutes and moved between two different maps, and was then able to (for the very first time) exit the game and close the application normally! No idea if the problem is "solved" for me or simply "slightly better than the absolute worst," as I haven't had time to play the game "seriously" yet today, but once I do I'll be sure to give an update.

sleepytime

sleepytime

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts

Hi Arsene,

So glad to hear the patch is working well for you! To elaborate on the hard reset, it's literally as if I were to pull the power cord out of my PSU, plug it back in, and power on my computer. I play almost every game exclusively in windowed mode (windowed fullscreen, to be more accurate) and have been doing the majority of my troubleshooting in windowed mode. Given your recent success, I'll give fullscreen another whirl.

Although I've found some success with specific settings, I have not found a way to make the game avoid hard resets entirely. To be perfectly honest, it may be somewhat out of my control. I have access to several RX 580 and 1080ti video cards from a local mining farm that I can trade, but that will only resolve my issue if the animation issue with brazier/explosions is causing an issue with my very particular video card. I've read of other players experiencing the same behavior on other video cards from AMD.

It's frustrating because, at this point, I'd love to blame a piece of my hardware for being faulty or failing. That would give me something to replace and put a solution into effect. Unfortunately, multiple benchmark and stress tests as well as my own tests haven't given me any sort of indication that there's anything wrong with my hardware. In fact, here's a screenshot of my Task Manager when playing PoE II in a zone with no issues on the highest graphical settings while I play Witcher 3 at the same time:

Capture.png

Arsene Lupin

Arsene Lupin

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I know what you mean, I spent a long time trying to rule out hardware issues, too. Went through a heck of a time fiddling with drivers, BIOS, and stress-testing my GPU. Not a lotta fun.

To update on my game post-patch, after three additional attempts at the game I can probably confirm that the game, for me, is much more stable. It's still crashing on me, but after 20+ minutes of stability, which is an enormous improvement as prior to the patch I was lucky to make it 20 seconds without a crash. It's far from ideal, but it is playable.

EDIT: oh, and for once one my my crashes generated an error message from the Deadfire application indicating the creation of a crash log. So now I've got an output log, error log and DMP file I can share. I've attached the output log, I'm unsure how relevant the other two files are, but if they're important lemme know and I can toss 'em up on GoogleDocs.

Attached Files

Edited by Arsene Lupin, 17 May 2018 - 06:54 PM.

GregoyBaltoro

GregoyBaltoro

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

Hi guys,

I made a possible breakthrough discovery.

I read on some website that people had problems running Wasteland and that it was crashing and someone proposed to run it with parametre -force-d3d9. It´s a parametre that you add to the .exe of the game so it forces direct X.

I tried to force directx supported by my GPU GTX1070, which is D12. I tried different combinations of compatibility modes and direct x forcing. For me worked only DX12 forcing with combination of compatibility mode for Win 8. The game was stabile for 3-4 hours before it crashed the first time. It was stuttering/lagging on the beginning, but sometimes it runs incredibly smoothly.

I have Win 10 x64, which might be causing the crashes for some reason.

Run you dxdiag, look for what directx your gpu supports, force it like this:

open properties of the pillarsofeternity.exe . Find the field with this info: "D:\Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire\PillarsOfEternityII.exe" and add parametre -force-d3d9/10/11/12)<-choose number which dx your gpu supports.

It should look like that after: "D:\Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire\PillarsOfEternityII.exe" -force-d3d12

Than if Win 10, run in compatibility mode with Win 8, not 7. That didnt work for me.

I also attched snip of my GPU settings in control center. (it didnt allow me to use snip in this post) It´s in czech, sry.

you can see the no scalling, was selected and "suppress scalling set by games and apps" is ticked. do that as well, if you can. Im not sure its 100% necessary, but i think it helps.

In game selected whatever graphical setting you like, it does not effect the gameplay and most importantly the crashes! It might delay them little bit, but that´s it.

Im also using the latest released patch and the latest driver from Nvidia 397.64, which was made to help run POE. Im also running game via GalaxyClient.

That should help with the crashes. If not , let me know.

Attached Files

FlyingFox

FlyingFox

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

Hi guys,

I made a possible breakthrough discovery.

I read on some website that people had problems running Wasteland and that it was crashing and someone proposed to run it with parametre -force-d3d9. It´s a parametre that you add to the .exe of the game so it forces direct X.

I tried to force directx supported by my GPU GTX1070, which is D12. I tried different combinations of compatibility modes and direct x forcing. For me worked only DX12 forcing with combination of compatibility mode for Win 8. The game was stabile for 3-4 hours before it crashed the first time. It was stuttering/lagging on the beginning, but sometimes it runs incredibly smoothly.

I have Win 10 x64, which might be causing the crashes for some reason.

Run you dxdiag, look for what directx your gpu supports, force it like this:

open properties of the pillarsofeternity.exe . Find the field with this info: "D:\Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire\PillarsOfEternityII.exe" and add parametre -force-d3d9/10/11/12)<-choose number which dx your gpu supports.

It should look like that after: "D:\Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire\PillarsOfEternityII.exe" -force-d3d12

Than if Win 10, run in compatibility mode with Win 8, not 7. That didnt work for me.

I also attched snip of my GPU settings in control center. (it didnt allow me to use snip in this post) It´s in czech, sry.

you can see the no scalling, was selected and "suppress scalling set by games and apps" is ticked. do that as well, if you can. Im not sure its 100% necessary, but i think it helps.

In game selected whatever graphical setting you like, it does not effect the gameplay and most importantly the crashes! It might delay them little bit, but that´s it.

Im also using the latest released patch and the latest driver from Nvidia 397.64, which was made to help run POE. Im also running game via GalaxyClient.

That should help with the crashes. If not , let me know.

I can't find the field "D:\Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire\PillarsOfEternityII.exe" in properties of my pillarsofeternityII.exe .... where are you seeing this?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crash, freeze, broken, unplayable, mess

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users