Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pillars of Eternity: Pen and Paper Starter Guide

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

hamskii

hamskii

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • Steam:hamskii
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Heads up: Deadfire backers are now able to download the PoE PnP Starter Guide from eternity.obsidian.net. I thought I'd create this thread as a place where people can discuss the PnP adaptation and share adventures or any other content they've created for it.

• Skazz and Wormerine like this

Lamppost in Winter

Lamppost in Winter

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The "Dyrwoodan Hello" trait tickled me.

• Tagaziel and Skazz like this

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2500 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It seems like Guidebook volume II is out as well and a key for season pass can be generated.

Chimney

Chimney

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

Hi, I have purchased both PoE I & II on Steam, however how do I link them to my Obsidian account?

Edited by Chimney, 08 May 2018 - 10:19 PM.

Skazz

Skazz

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Any first impressions? Seeing how Josh has said many times that the p&p will be a good opportunity for him to go full experimental, I'm curious how the game feels.

Murp

Murp

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Someone should set up a play-by-post. not me though because I'm lazy.

Edited by Murp, 12 May 2018 - 12:13 AM.

ChAkrA

ChAkrA

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

Should the Pen and Paper appear in "My Products"? Because it's not and I've linked my steam account and have downloaded the DLCs...Where should I be looking?

Hamhaus

Hamhaus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 45 posts

Should the Pen and Paper appear in "My Products"? Because it's not and I've linked my steam account and have downloaded the DLCs...Where should I be looking?

In the Steam files -> common , under the Pillars of Eternity Deadfire folder. You can find The Pen & Paper Guide, The Deadfire Guide book and The Deadfire Map, even POE Deadfire soundtracks all in there.

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

@Mods: How much are we allowed to share of the PnP here on the forums...? (Legally)

Can I copy+paste texts/paragraphs and share?

Someone should set up a play-by-post. not me though because I'm lazy.

I'd be interested in doing something like this, but need Players, and I would in that case also want to be a part of their character creation process, so I can give carrots, present challenges, and also know origins, secrets and so on and so on. Be a guiding and helping hand through the character creation. Such stuff could work really well in PM's on some medium (Discord? Skype? Obsidian Forums?). OpenRP? (Although, I don't know it well enough)

Somewhat wanting to create some mini-campaigns just one-on-one with Players, and then weave it together with other Players forming groups/rivalry and whatnot over time.

The starter guide is quite extensive, and just at a glance I see tons of potential in it. I really like the look of it. Though, I wish it expands with a visual aid, a world map of Eora (not just Dyrwood and the Deadfire from the games, but a more general top-down world map of all of it).

• Skazz likes this

Skazz

Skazz

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well, if the P&P isn't exclusive to Kickstarter backers and can be shared around, I'd certainly love to try and play. :yes:

EDIT: I could be wrong, but weren't some of the P&P basics included with premium editions of Deadfire on Steam? If so, then I do have that.

Edited by Skazz, 14 May 2018 - 11:05 AM.

Murp

Murp

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Well I think I'd be willing to give it a shot. I've never played an actual Pen and Paper RPG though.

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Not exclusive to backers, but might possibly be some copywrite dealio~

Skazz

Skazz

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Alright, I checked the contents of my Steam bundle and it includes:

- Pen & Paper Starter Guide

- Pillars of Eternity Guidebook Vol. II

If that's enough to participate, then I'm still willing to play!

aluminiumtrioxid

aluminiumtrioxid

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1497 posts

Any first impressions? Seeing how Josh has said many times that the p&p will be a good opportunity for him to go full experimental, I'm curious how the game feels.

I'm... not particularly jazzed about it. It feels like it has all of the downsides of Ars Magica without the clean system math or the creative thaumaturgy (so... the things that actually make Ars Magica worth playing), with a 4E-esque grid combat bolted on top.

Also, the character creation rules inexplicably don't seem to include teensy-tiny little details like how much xp we should distribute between attributes and abilities, without which it's kinda difficult to make a character. But hey, at least we have a skill list that runs for seven pages and includes absolute essentials such as Knitting, Forecasting and Midwifery!

• Skazz and Not Hypebringer like this

Skazz

Skazz

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm... not particularly jazzed about it. It feels like it has all of the downsides of Ars Magica without the clean system math or the creative thaumaturgy (so... the things that actually make Ars Magica worth playing), with a 4E-esque grid combat bolted on top.

Also, the character creation rules inexplicably don't seem to include teensy-tiny little details like how much xp we should distribute between attributes and abilities, without which it's kinda difficult to make a character. But hey, at least we have a skill list that runs for seven pages and includes absolute essentials such as Knitting, Forecasting and Midwifery!

Excellent! I've always wanted to role-play the Grieving Mother!

In all seriousness, though... as disheartening as this summary is (thanks, by the way), I guess I'm still willing to give it a shot. I like the setting and I haven never played Ars Magica, so I probably won't mind some of these rough edges.

aluminiumtrioxid

aluminiumtrioxid

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1497 posts

Excellent! I've always wanted to role-play the Grieving Mother!

In all seriousness, though... as disheartening as this summary is (thanks, by the way), I guess I'm still willing to give it a shot. I like the setting and I haven never played Ars Magica, so I probably won't mind some of these rough edges.

Well I'm probably going to run it at some point because my campaign idea of "Psychonauts but on Eora" is just too sweet to pass up, but I was kinda hoping for something more than we got.

Murp

Murp

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Do we need character sheets? Does anyone have a good template?

Murp

Murp

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I made a very basic  gross  character sheet template for anyone to use if interested

d0JW5Me.jpg

rSUKm6i.jpg

Example?

zB3sIFG.jpg

Edited by Murp, 29 May 2018 - 12:41 AM.

• ShadySands, mungomunk, Skelad and 1 other like this

Skazz

Skazz

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Sweet, thank you for this! Time to start thinking of a possible character. :dancing:

• Murp likes this

Gritino

Gritino

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 128 posts

Didn't even know this thing existed. Perhaps I'll consider participating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users