The Great Game Giveaway: It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Edition

ShadySands

It's a good thing you didn't post about all the other games you've probably received since the last time you updated this thread three years ago - I wasn't necessarily looking forward to looking up approximately 500 different games, :p.

Pretty sure I've played Children of Silentown, but it was on GOG. I remember thinking that it was totally going to be up my alley, but then it was just...you know, alright. It didn't really, uh, hit me like I thought it was going to. I'm not particularly keen on games that I've actually played through but the only thing I remember is that the title sounded familiar before having to look them up to figure out why.

When I took a glance at Otxo just now, I was like "I have a friend that seems to always like this kind of game", and so I was very unsurprised to see that it was actually already sitting on their wishlist. If nobody else ever claims it, feel free to send it my way and I'll gift it to them and tell them that it was from you.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

It's a good thing you didn't post about all the other games you've probably received since the last time you updated this thread three years ago - I wasn't necessarily looking forward to looking up approximately 500 different games, :p.

I wasn't subbed to Humble about half the time but it's still a lot of games and even then I still considered listing them all. Thankfully though, in the end, laziness won out.

Key sent and thanks!

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

There should really be an easy way on their end to just copy-and-paste all the titles of your leftover/unredeemed keys. Thanks as always, ShadySands!

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

38 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

There should really be an easy way on their end to just copy-and-paste all the titles of your leftover/unredeemed keys. Thanks as always, ShadySands!

There is but it wasn't very accurate so I stopped using it. It kept listing games as unredeemed even though they were which caused me to try to gift a few games multiple times.

• Gasp! 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I'm too busy to play many new games right now, but "Hell Pie" does sound pretty funny.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On 3/27/2024 at 3:36 PM, ShadySands said:

I'm slightly interested in Saints Row and Midnight Suns but they are only on Steam... so, yeah. Someone please take this temptation away!

Saints Row is an interesting juxtaposition of a coming of age story with the usual Power of Friendship and cartoonish violence, gang violence, and the very modern job market. I found it particularly touching after almost 4 months on LinkedIn. It is also a stark contrast to SR2, at the same time being a logical evolution of the series, with the previous entries How the Saints Saved the Christmas and Gat Out of Hell. But ultimately, it is a story about imperfect people in an imperfect world doing their best (through violence)*. So, while the party is not investing in education or researching renewable energy or creating legal job opportunities for people from disadvantaged backgrounds, one of the companions donates toys to orphans and there is an actual cat who is unharmed.

The graphics and visual style are fine and I found them more appealing with the visual accessibility settings and some filters. As is, they seemed a little too detailed yet some animations were occasionally too minimalistic, but as mentioned, it fit the general style.

The controls are comfortable and rebindable, though the aim assist felt a bit too strong by default. The combat felt simple but functional (when compared to Devil May Cry, which might be an unusual example), though I have not used the special abilities. Same for movement and driving, but there are flying suits, which are more grounded than the superhero abilities from SRIV.

The range of customisation options is excellent and includes body sliders, layered clothing, and several voices. On the negative side, the missions have been linear so far, and I am 50% in**. The side missions and collectibles are nice, though I would have preferred them being available from the start. As is, their availability is bound to the main story.

The number of the save slots is limited to ~16 (not sure, but not enough to save every other main mission). Disabling the online DRM requires adding a launch parameter to the executable.

Overall, I would recommend it with the right expectations.

*just finished the game. It was about the Power of Friendship. The final mission was very touching and well-made.

**one choice for the main story.

---

Nioh 2 is an exploration-light (mission-based) Souls-like with a linear story, a quite (for the lack of a better word) shiny (visual-effects-heavy) combat system, and absolutely horrible inventory and loot.

Aragami 2 is a decent stealth game. You also can jump there, unlike Aragami 1. It was sad that the developer closed about a year ago.

Soultice (EGS) didn't run.

Haven't played the rest.

---

I am curious about Citizen Sleeper, though I might dislike it. There is no Light: Enhanced Edition looks visually appealing. So, if no one else is interested, the key for either would be appreciated.

Edited by Hawke64
  • Like 2

@sadysands I would take NIOH and two point campus out of your hands if they are still up for grab

• Thanks 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Unpacking is pure existential dread and terror, do not play if you're weak of heart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2